Author Topic: "Gordon Boys Home, Lincoln"  (Read 745 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Gordon Boys Home, Lincoln"
« on: Monday 26 September 16 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hello There,
I wander if somebody could help me please:
While looking at my Great Granddad's brother's Military service record from 1900, I came across a "Next Of Kin" section. This section gave his Mother's name and address, and both of his brothers.
Anyway, my great Granddad's address in 1900 seems to have been: "Gordon Boys Home".
My Great Grandad, John Hall was born in March 1885. I had heard that he would run away from home, and sometimes sleep under hedges on the common: His stepdad, William Wheatcroft, was very bad to my Great Grandad, and his other siblings. He used to also beat his Wife, Elizabeth Wheatcroft (John's Mother). William Wheatcroft was sent to Prison a few times, due to his cruelty. The stories made the "Lincolnshire Chronicle" at the time. The earliest of which was April the 29th 1892. By the 1901 Census, my Great Grandad was boarding at, 46 Waterside North. His occupation was listed as an; "Apprentice Boiler Maker". Soon after this, he joined the RHFA, and was posted to India.
Anyway, I thought I would give a few background details first.  :)
Does anyone know the address of this Gordon Boys Home in Lincoln around 1900 please? 
Would they have been trained in anything while being at this Home?
Regarding being entered into the Home: Would somebody have taken them to the home (like a Mother)? Or would it be suggested by an official from the Home first?

Any information about this Home would be gratefully accepted.

Thank you very much.  :)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Gordon Boys Home, Lincoln"
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 September 16 19:24 BST (UK) »
i can;t answer about the home, but in general a child could be placed in such an institution by the authorities - whether the courts as a punishment,  the Poor Law guardians (schools/homes as offshoots of the workhouse or being placed by the Guardians in a charitable institution) or at the request of family /some type of patron for a direct placement into a charitable institution

I note Gordon Homes seemed to have been suggested as names for a number of homes run the the Children's Society, in honour of General Gordon of Khartoum, but the name stuck in particular for a home they ran in Woking

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 September 16 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The link below will give you an idea of a 'Gordon Boy's Home' which was in Nottingham.

These homes were named after Major General Charles George Gordon, C.B

http://www.mapperleyandsherwoodhistorygroup.co.uk/the-gordon-boys-home

JJ

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 September 16 19:32 BST (UK) »
There do seem to be a few nationally. There is a site about the homes if you haven't already googled it. You could try googling Lincs to the past , they might have something there.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 September 16 19:37 BST (UK) »
i can;t answer about the home, but in general a child could be placed in such an institution by the authorities - whether the courts as a punishment,  the Poor Law guardians (schools/homes as offshoots of the workhouse or being placed by the Guardians in a charitable institution) or at the request of family /some type of patron for a direct placement into a charitable institution

I note Gordon Homes seemed to have been suggested as names for a number of homes run the the Children's Society, in honour of General Gordon of Khartoum, but the name stuck in particular for a home they ran in Woking
Thank you very much.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 September 16 19:38 BST (UK) »
There do seem to be a few nationally. There is a site about the homes if you haven't already googled it. You could try googling Lincs to the past , they might have something there.
Thank you.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 September 16 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The link below will give you an idea of a 'Gordon Boy's Home' which was in Nottingham.

These homes were named after Major General Charles George Gordon, C.B

http://www.mapperleyandsherwoodhistorygroup.co.uk/the-gordon-boys-home

JJ
Thank you.