Author Topic: Street scene DALE shop front:Tailor Outfitter Furnisher Eckington  (Read 4862 times)

Offline 001uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Street scene DALE shop front:Tailor Outfitter Furnisher UK LOCATION help, please
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 09:02 BST (UK) »
Might it be Burslem, Staffordshire? There was a furniture warehouse there at 45-47 Liverpool Road, proprietors  Daniel Dale and subsequently his widow Sarah Dale. In operation from the 1870's through to post-1901.

Hi ShaunJ

Checked the 1912 Kelly's Directory for Staffs and nothing there. Took a look down Liverpool Road Burslem and buildings etc don't match so alas I think we have to discount Burslem. Many thanks anyway for your help/suggestion.
TABB of Saltash

Offline 001uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Street scene DALE shop front:Tailor Outfitter Furnisher UK LOCATION help, please
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 09:12 BST (UK) »
The Edmonton Dales might have to had a Manchester branch

Advert 26 October 1901 in Leeds Mercury for Junior young  man for Manchester Department of Mr. Dale’s, Draper, Edmonton, Middlesex.

Hi Kay99
Checked 1911 Kelly's Directory for Manchester & Salford no match under any of the trades for DALE. One more I believe we can rule out.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
TABB of Saltash

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 09:39 BST (UK) »
The sign above the door says "Dale's B(?)edstead Furniture Warehouse"

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 09:51 BST (UK) »
Enhanced/inverted image(I hope)

Regards
Roger

Offline 001uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 10:29 BST (UK) »
Enhanced/inverted image(I hope)

Regards
Roger

Agreed!
"Above arch: DALE'S Bedstead and furniture Warehouse"
TABB of Saltash

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 11:40 BST (UK) »

Hello dublin1850,
The photo is in fact a postcard! Going by the 'finish' of the card it cannot be that much earlier than about 5 years absolute maximum. The technology wasn't around. IF anything it might be a shade later (than 1910). It doesn't look like a 'reprint' of an earlier image - something you very rarely see in postcards of this age.

Is there anything on the back of the postcard. I think the style can indicate when it was published, if I recall correctly.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 001uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 11:49 BST (UK) »
Is there anything on the back of the postcard. I think the style can indicate when it was published, if I recall correctly.

Hello heywood ,

There is nothing on the reverse (apart from lots of my pencil scribblings of failed locations) to give any clue as to when or where it was published. It's a "bog standard" back typical of the c1910 era. It does have a box for "Inland Halfpenny Stamp" which just confirms my dating theory!
TABB of Saltash

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 11:57 BST (UK) »
Is it possible to do a couple of close up scans - one of the billboards next to Dales and one of the shop on the right foreground.

I've tried to enlarge and adjust levels, etc. of the billboards but not enough detail. It might be just adverts for tea, etc. but there may be something local.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 12:16 BST (UK) »
I'm convinced there is another name to the left of "bespoke tailor",but I can't make it out,something vaguely like Oertlieb?(perhaps a Jewish tailor from the East End?).I could be way out..

Regards
Roer