Author Topic: Andrew robson b1807 Halkirk  (Read 939 times)

Offline stuart robson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Andrew robson b1807 Halkirk
« on: Tuesday 27 September 16 08:18 BST (UK) »
I’m looking into an Andrew Robson. Son of John Robson and who married Eliza Hedley in Northumberland in 1835 and in later census returns he gives his place of birth as Scotland. There is an Andrew Robson who was born to John Robson and Agnis Smith in 1807 in Halkirk Caithness and in 1817 there is a baptism that shows a George Robson born to John Robson and Agnes Smith in Kirkton Caithness. It is maybe a bit strange that if it is the same couple then there is a legal wedding in Oxnam in 1805 but is not shown as such in the baptism records. Could it be that it may be common practice there looking at the other entries in that parish?

In 1841 a John Robson and spouse Agnes do not show up in the Scotland records but a John Robson and Agnes Robson do show up in Comb, Thorneyburn in Northumberland again (roughly the right age range) and they appear to have another son Robert aged about 25 born out of County. I can see a baptism record for Reay Caithness in 1812 showing a birth of a Robert Robson to John Robson and Ann Smith, so it wouldn't be a leap of typographical errors to think this was this Agnes or Agnis.

My question is given the large distance between the Borders and Caithness areas, was it common for shepherds to spend time in Caithness, were perhaps they recruited from the Borders area to pass on experience with the Cheviot sheep which I think were introduced to the North of Scotland in the late 1790s?
Robson, Douglas, Redpath, Sandilands, Keppie

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew robson b1807 Halkirk
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 12:32 BST (UK) »
Yes, I would think so. Presumably this Robson was an Episcopalian also. Border shepherds went native very quickly in the north.

Skoosh.