Author Topic: Jean Baptiste Laroche - River Pilot in Greenock 1851?  (Read 692 times)

Offline Jueb1962

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jean Baptiste Laroche - River Pilot in Greenock 1851?
« on: Tuesday 27 September 16 13:40 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out more information about my 2xGreat Grandfather Jean Baptiste Laroche. 

All I know about him is that he was born in Quebec in 1831 and I believe he may be in Greenock in 1851.  He was a Pilot.

He married my 2xGGM Anne Simpson on 30 June 1852 in Liverpool and their only son James Joseph Laroche (my GGF) was born 20th April 1853 in Liverpool.  (I have the marriage certificate to confirm, which states he's from Quebec and that his father is also called Jean Laroche, also a Pilot).

Ann was a widow when she remarried in May 1855 and I have not been able to find a death or find out what happened to Jean Baptiste Laroche.

From the Quebec, Canada, Vital & Church Records (Drouin Collection 1621-1968) I believe I have found his baptism in 1831 in St Antoine de Tilly which has led me to further information regarding his parents Jean Baptiste Laroche and Marie Marcelle Sevigny.

Parents and siblings are enumerated on Canada's 1851 Census.  Information is limited but they have also named my 2xGGF and then crossed his name out.  Next to his name and age they have written Greenock.

I wondered if anyone has ideas or can point me in the right direction as to where to go from here? I have checked Scotland's 1851 census but unable to find anything.

Many thanks

Julie
Jones: Stockton, Durham,Maesmynis in Breconshire.
Laroche: Stockton on Tees; Liverpool; Quebec, Canada
Conick: Glamorgan
Trattles: NYorkshire
Jonathan: Caernarvonshire, Wales & Liverpool,
Briggs: Finghall & NYorks
Caygill: NYorks
Wright:Fylingdales
Binks: Finghall, NYorks
Brough: Staffordshire, Cheshire & Middlesbrough
Percival, Black, Tinning: Rockcliffe, Arthuret Cumberland
Bradley: Gilling & Barton, NYorks
Simpson, Bell, Latham: Liverpool, Lancashire

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Jean Baptiste Laroche - River Pilot in Greenock 1851?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 10:44 BST (UK) »
This older article from the Greenock Telegraph appears to indicate that an archive of material was deposited with the Glasgow Archives at the Mitchell Library although they give a starting date of the mid 1880's
http://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/news/13992632.Truth_behind_pilot_archive/

Link for the Mitchell Library http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries/the-mitchell-library/pages/home.aspx

Another avenue to search are the Post Office Directories for Greenock which often published lists of Licensed River Pilots and these can be found at the National Library of Scotland
http://digital.nls.uk/directories/browse/pageturner.cfm?id=87558862&mode=transcription

Offline Jueb1962

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jean Baptiste Laroche - River Pilot in Greenock 1851?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 September 16 19:34 BST (UK) »
thank you Falkyrn...much appreciated. :)
Jones: Stockton, Durham,Maesmynis in Breconshire.
Laroche: Stockton on Tees; Liverpool; Quebec, Canada
Conick: Glamorgan
Trattles: NYorkshire
Jonathan: Caernarvonshire, Wales & Liverpool,
Briggs: Finghall & NYorks
Caygill: NYorks
Wright:Fylingdales
Binks: Finghall, NYorks
Brough: Staffordshire, Cheshire & Middlesbrough
Percival, Black, Tinning: Rockcliffe, Arthuret Cumberland
Bradley: Gilling & Barton, NYorks
Simpson, Bell, Latham: Liverpool, Lancashire