Author Topic: Norwich, St Martin at Oak: Familysearch image records and indexes  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Pelago

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Norwich, St Martin at Oak: Familysearch image records and indexes
« on: Wednesday 28 September 16 13:12 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with a puzzle I'm having.
According to a search of the Familysearch indexes there is a film no. 1526322 that appears to be the records from St Martin at Oak, Norwich. Now there are also images on available for this parish (England, Norfolk, Parish ...Record Office, 1510-1997  Norwich St Martin at Oak Baptisms, Marriages, Burials 1703-1727), however when I look at the indexed list on the one hand and a "readable" page from the images on the other, there are no similarities. I cant find baptisms of people on the indexed results on the images, and I can't find the names of baptisms on the images on the index! Its like I am looking at different parishes.

e.g on the index there is a baptism; Phillis Key 23 November 1712 - cant find on the image.
or James Lyon 22 May 1712 visible on the image but cant find on the index for film 1526322.

Now there is another batch, C04802-1 that does appear to have the same names as on the images.

So my question I guess, is where do the names on the film/batch 1526322 actually come from, because it would seem not to be St Martin at Oak, even though the index says so? Is there any way of identifying an error?
(incidentally I am particularly interested in a remarkably named "Easter Monster" 24 April 1709 found on the dubious index, who I believe could be my ancestor Esther Minister)

Many thanks

Cornwall:Tremelling,Tyzzer,Furse,Whitford,Bedick,Hawke,Retalick;Derbys:Sparam;Dorset:Ford,Farr,Adams,Crew,Lim,Mullens;IoW:Williams;Norfolk:Burrell,Chester,Hagon,Powles,Jennis,Daines,Gedge,Hood,Pooley,Spalding,Spurrell,Ebbage,Minister,Rushmer;Norfolk/Suffolk:Clarke;Hunts/Cambs:Canwell,Simons,trewen,Childs;Derbys/Burton:Dawson,Thornewill,Dent,Street,Bagnall,Parker,Brearley,Brunt,Dicken,Astle,Boffey/Beaufoy,Grundy,Hardwick,Heap,Ratclife;Suffolk:Phillips,Chilver,Alderton,Blumfield,Pain,Rolfe,Shulver

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Norwich, St Martin at Oak: Familysearch image records and indexes
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 13:49 BST (UK) »
There are other instances of records being wrongly transcribed when from the same film number on familysearch. The film number you quoted covers the following parishes so the record you are looking for could be in one of the other parishes

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&query=%2Bfilm_number%3A1526322
Items 1 - 8: Parish registers for St. Martin at Oak Church, Norwich, 1560-1954
Items 9 - 23: Parish registers for St. Michael Coslany Church, Norwich, 1558-1963
Items 24 - 28: Parish registers for St. Martin-at-Palace Church, Norwich, 1538-1908

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pelago

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 14:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much - I'll see if those images are online.
Cornwall:Tremelling,Tyzzer,Furse,Whitford,Bedick,Hawke,Retalick;Derbys:Sparam;Dorset:Ford,Farr,Adams,Crew,Lim,Mullens;IoW:Williams;Norfolk:Burrell,Chester,Hagon,Powles,Jennis,Daines,Gedge,Hood,Pooley,Spalding,Spurrell,Ebbage,Minister,Rushmer;Norfolk/Suffolk:Clarke;Hunts/Cambs:Canwell,Simons,trewen,Childs;Derbys/Burton:Dawson,Thornewill,Dent,Street,Bagnall,Parker,Brearley,Brunt,Dicken,Astle,Boffey/Beaufoy,Grundy,Hardwick,Heap,Ratclife;Suffolk:Phillips,Chilver,Alderton,Blumfield,Pain,Rolfe,Shulver

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 14:12 BST (UK) »
The image clearly shows that Easter's surname is Monster.  She is the daughter of Henry Monster and Eliz. his wife.

Added:  the footnote to the images (from Norfolk Records Office) says that the parish is St Michael Coslany, Norwich.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Pelago

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 14:20 BST (UK) »
Found the image at St Michael Coslany!
Many thanks

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 September 16 19:06 BST (UK) »
According to the Norfolk Transcription Archive there were no "Monsters" in Norfolk, so the record you found for Easter Monster was obviously misspelled.
http://www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/surnames.php?letter=M
Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 September 16 21:12 BST (UK) »
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY