Author Topic: Quoit clubs  (Read 989 times)

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Quoit clubs
« on: Wednesday 28 September 16 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi all, has anyone done any research or looked into the records of the Quoit Clubs that littered Teesside from the 1880s - early 20th Century?

My ancestor, William Williams was one and here is an account of a match he took part in:

QUOIT MATCH.

NORTH-COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIP.

At the Raglan Quoit Ground, near to the Victoria Football Field, West Hartlepool, on Saturday, the
championship of the North of England Amateur Quoit Club Association was competed for.  This
competition is distinct from that for the club trophy, and is won by a single member.  At present
there are 12 clubs in the Association, distributed as follows: The Hartlepools, Raglan and Rovers
(West Hartlepool) and the Hartlepool Club; Middlesbrough Ayersome, Erimus and Star and Garter;
Guisborough Priory and Tradesmen; Whitby, Whitby Club; Darlington, Liberal Unionist and St. Hilda;
Stockton, Mount Pleasant.  One man had been chosen from each of the clubs, and the competition was
played in heats.  The conditions of play were: Clay ends 11 yards apart, 3 in. pins, 5¼lbs quoits,
and 21 points up.  To-day was the third years of the competition, the previous winners having been
Mr Reed, of West Hartlepool, and Mr Newton, of Middlesbrough.  Mr Wm. Coates, of the Rovers’ Quoit
Club, was referee.  There was a large attendance of spectators, considerable interest being centered
in the competition.  Mr Williams (Star and Garter, Middlesbrough) and Mr R. Scott (Liberal Unionst,
Darlington) got into the final, and the match between them was most exciting, Mr Williams eventually
winning by 2 points.  Details:

FIRST ROUND.-W. Williams (Star and Garter, Middlesbrough), 21, beat T. Cliff (West Hartlepool
Raglan), 18; W. Henderson, (West Hartlepool Rovers, 21, beat A Bradshaw (Hartlepool), 16; T.
Costello (Ayersome, Middlesbrough), 21, beat T. Moore (Tradesmen’s, Guisborough), 5; J. Walker
(Whitby), 21, beat W. Peacock (Priory, Guisborough), 6; J. Davison (Erimus, Middlesbrough), 21, beat
T. Logan (Mount Pleasant, Stockton), 17; R. Scott (Liberal Unionist, Darlington), 21, beat J.
Dougherty (St. Hilda, Darlington), 17.

SECOND ROUND.-Williams, 21, beat Walker, 0; Scott, 21, beat Davison, 8; Costello, 21, beat Henderson, 6.

THIRD ROUND-Williams, 21, beat Costello, 16.  Scott, a bye.

FINAL-Williams, 21, beat Scott, 19

August 19, 1895 - Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail - Hartlepool, Durham, England

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Quoit clubs
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 October 16 06:46 BST (UK) »
What an interesting article, I remember the Ayresome Quoit and Air rifle club from North Road Middlesbrough and as a boy went on some of their trips for children to Pantomime at Stockton and a day trip to Seaham in late 1940s, I must check it out because I think the buiding is still there.

James

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Quoit clubs
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 October 16 10:05 BST (UK) »
If you wouldn't mind that be great. My nana remembers going to Boosbeck on a kids trip once about the same time.

Thank you.