Author Topic: "My origins" - over what timescale?  (Read 2433 times)

Offline alfietcs

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Gari Boys ( and girls! )
    • View Profile
Re: "My origins" - over what timescale?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 21:38 BST (UK) »
I've seen similar results - high Scandinavian and no Western and Central Europe.  We don't think any of the Scandinavian is recent.

I think FTDNA overestimates Scandinavian a bit.

Have you thought of transferring to Gedmatch as well (free).   They have all sorts of interesting admixture calculators.

Hi :)
I did wonder about the high proportion of Scandinavian but assumed it was normal because all my family seem to be from the Midlands and the North, including Scotland. I haven't found anyone from the South yet. We do have some Romany links though, so the small amount of Asian made sense.

Do you think that Scandinavia/Western Europe are interchangable, or that they don't really know yet?

I must confess to being a bit nervous about using Gedmatch, when posters talk about alleles and the like, my brain goes fuzzy, it sounds complicated:)

Thanks for your suggestion, I should at least try Gedmatch.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 October 16 09:29 BST (UK) »
Out of interest, do any of your FamilyFinder matches appear to be Scandinavian?  We have a few at the 5th to remote cousin level with Scandinavian e-mail addresses and according to their trees their ancestry is entirely Scandinavian.  So perhaps (in our case) the Scandinavian percentage truly reflects more recent Scandinavian ancestry.

Gedmatch isn't scary at all.  Infact, it's often easier to analyse matches in common on Gedmatch than on FtDNA. 

Offline alfietcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 October 16 22:53 BST (UK) »
Out of interest, do any of your FamilyFinder matches appear to be Scandinavian?  We have a few at the 5th to remote cousin level with Scandinavian e-mail addresses and according to their trees their ancestry is entirely Scandinavian.  So perhaps (in our case) the Scandinavian percentage truly reflects more recent Scandinavian ancestry.

Gedmatch isn't scary at all.  Infact, it's often easier to analyse matches in common on Gedmatch than on FtDNA.

Hi  :)
I haven't yet made my profile public on Family Finder, but I have taken your good advice, and have uploaded my raw data to Gedmatch. They are still processing it, so it will be a few days yet, but i will let you know if anything crops up. 
It is very possible there could be a Scandinavian relative somewhere in the last few hundred years. I have a few lines that I can't get past 1840.  It was more that I expected to see German or East European, rather than Scandinavian, but the more I read about autosomal testing, the more I realise that the results are dependant on who the original base group were that were tested, so they might not be wholly relevant to me.

I also wonder if, after looking at that DNA map of Great Britain that came out last year, if even having something like alot of family from West Yorkshire, if that can skew things, as they were an anomaly weren't they?. Didn't some analysts think it might have something to do with the Kingdom of Elmet?

If nothing else, my British history is getting better:)

Offline alfietcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 October 16 11:40 BST (UK) »
Out of interest, do any of your FamilyFinder matches appear to be Scandinavian?  We have a few at the 5th to remote cousin level with Scandinavian e-mail addresses and according to their trees their ancestry is entirely Scandinavian. 

Hi
I've had some results from Gedmatch which has been interesting.  The trouble is, many people seem to be using gmail these days, so I can't tell where they are from, which is a shame. I am still not sure how to use all the information, but one interesting thing has cropped up.

I do have a 4th/5th generation match with a Romany male, whose surname is the same as a group of gypsies who used my gt gt gt grandfathers surname in an 1871 census instead of their own.
My gt x3 grandfather is extremely elusive, in fact he only appears in 1849 on my gt gt grandfathers birth certificate, and a marriage certificate, but is absent on the 1850 census, and forever after.