Author Topic: Were they bombed or gassed (1943)?  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Were they bombed or gassed (1943)?
« on: Friday 30 September 16 01:04 BST (UK) »
I have finally found a death recorded for my great grandfather's sister in Brighton in 1943
Family story was that Emma and her husband were killed in a gas explosion during the war.
Searched for years and didn't find them but have just discovered that Emma remarried in 1939 (when she was in her 70's!!).

Probate records state:
Albert Edward HOLLAND of 5 Islingwood Road Brighton, last seen alive 19 Jan 1943, dead body found 21 Jan 1943, admin to ...

His wife's probate record :
Emma Holland, of 5 Islingwood Road Brighton, died 21 Jan 1943, etc...

So looks like they died on or about the same day seemingly under strange circumstances.

I was wondering if anyone has access to any Sussex newspapers for on or about those dates to see if there was a report of a gas explosion or a bomb blast in that area of Brighton.

I'll order their certs soon anyway

Thanks

Di

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Were they bombed or gassed (1943)?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 September 16 07:42 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the Civilian War Dead records on the CWGC website?     
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 September 16 10:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestion Imber

Unfortunately they aren't recorded there

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 September 16 11:44 BST (UK) »
I can't see any mention of a bombing raid in January 1943 here http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__9076.aspx
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 September 16 11:49 BST (UK) »
A gas explosion may not necessarily have been due to any war action. And if they were 'found dead' it sounds more like CO poisoning. The death certificate(s) will be interesting - do let us know what they say, Lady  Di.

I can't see any mention in the newspapers - but I don't think any Sussex papers for that time period are online. You could try the main Brighton Library for archived newspapers....they may have a search service if you are not nea and as you have a date it shouldn't take that long.

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 September 16 11:59 BST (UK) »
I can't see any mention of a bombing raid in January 1943 here http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__9076.aspx

Thanks groom - I have looked around and couldn't see any info re a bombing raid at that time but obviously there was so much going on that it may not have been reported in the only paper I could find.

A gas explosion may not necessarily have been due to any war action. And if they were 'found dead' it sounds more like CO poisoning. The death certificate(s) will be interesting - do let us know what they say, Lady  Di.

I can't see any mention in the newspapers - but I don't think any Sussex papers for that time period are online. You could try the main Brighton Library for archived newspapers....they may have a search service if you are not nea and as you have a date it shouldn't take that long.

Josey

Good point Josey - They may have simply left the gas on and died that way. They were both 79 years old and had only been married a few years. I've just ordered both death certs so will be interesting to see the results in a few weeks when they arrive.

I'll contact the library if the cause of death looks errr... "interesting"

Thanks for your help

Di

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 September 16 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Lady Di,

It is possible there may have been an inquest into their deaths. The proceedings may have been reported in the local papers.

I think it is possible to access the Coroner's Records but they are usually closed for at least 75 years. It looks as though this has expired now.

Jo.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 September 16 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Lady Di,

It is possible there may have been an inquest into their deaths. The proceedings may have been reported in the local papers.

I think it is possible to access the Coroner's Records but they are usually closed for at least 75 years. It looks as though this has expired now.

Jo.

The only problem could be this:

"Archive requests; finding out about long-dead relatives
There is much interest in tracing what happened to relatives but, by law, Coroners' files only have to be kept for 15 years. After this time only a 10% sample of files is kept. An archive search can be arranged at the discretion of the Coroner, and incurs a fee whether or not the search is successful."

from http://www.coronerscourtssupportservice.org.uk/faq-s/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 October 16 02:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jo - I didn't think about an inquest. Thanks for the suggestion.

As soon as I have their death certs I'll see if any reports still exist.

Hope something is still in the archives but as groom said - may not have much luck there.

Thanks anyway groom - will keep fingers crossed and shall report when certs arrive.