Author Topic: Thomas Atkinson, born 1883, seemed to appear in 1907  (Read 1702 times)

Offline UpstairsDown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Atkinson, born 1883, seemed to appear in 1907
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 December 16 21:42 GMT (UK) »
My apologies Annette.

I have been somewhat occupied with a new job and family matters.

It does indeed appear that this Thomas is one and the same.

I am looking at his marriage certificate now and he has his father's name recorded as Thomas, and as a deceased labourer, in 1907. I have no explanation for the faked age other than it might be he was trying to leave something behind- pretty drastic to join the RN at the age he did, give a fake name for his father and a fake age, too? I am bamboozled.

Keyboard86, Osprey, Trish and Annette I am so very grateful to all of you. Time to do some re-evaluating on the family tree. This does explain a potential American connection though.  I am completely flabbergasted.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Atkinson, born 1883, seemed to appear in 1907
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 10:20 GMT (UK) »
By 1881 - still in West Bromwich - transcribed as 'Atkiss' on Ancestry - with wife/children:

Charles Atkiss   51       Iron Worker          born Lichfield, Worcestershire
Mary Jane  "     33                                   born Oldbury, Worcestershire
Sarah   10
Charles 8
Eliza 7
Thomas 5
Josiah 2
John 2mos.

Looked for a corresponding marriage for Charles and Mary Jane but couldn't find one in the right time frame.   Eventually discovered that they didn't marry until 1885:

Charles Atkinson  48, bachelor, son of Joseph Atkinson (deceased), labourer married Mary Jane Jenks 39, dau. of Thomas Jenks, Wire Drawer on 14/12/1885 St. Johns, West Bromwich - address for both given as 81 Sam's Lane, West Bromwich - in 1881 they were living at 18 Sam's Lane!!

Checked birth entries for their children as shown in 1881 to see if registered as Atkinson or Jenks - from Eliza through to John they were all registered as Atkinson.   All 6 children are shown as born in West Bromwich - the elder 2 (Sarah bc.1871 and Charles bc.1873) not registered as Atkinson, nor in their mothers maiden name of Jenks.   The closest birth entries I could find were a Sarah Atkin in Dec.qtr.1871 and a Charles Atkins in Sept.qtr.1872 but no idea if these are them.

From new GRO index the Thomas reg Q3 1875 West Brom has mother's maiden name of GEE.

John and Josiah both have mother's maiden name JINKS, so they seem to fit allowing for spelling difference.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott