Author Topic: HALSE PARISH REGISTERS - Joane TROTT or ESCOTT, m. 1714  (Read 981 times)

Offline MiniHistory

• RootsChat Member
  • Seize the day - after breakfast
    • View Profile
HALSE PARISH REGISTERS - Joane TROTT or ESCOTT, m. 1714
« on: Saturday 01 October 16 10:37 BST (UK) »
I have a marriage between Richard HUCKLEBURGE (spelling varies) and Joane TROTT or ESCOTT taking place in St James, Halse, on 26th April 1714. FreeReg gives the name as Trott, and the transcript of the parish registers done by David Cheek as they appear on Rootsweb gives Escott. Both versions seem possible since both surnames crop up in other records.

I'm not sure how to proceed, so if anyone has access to an image of the actual record I'd be delighted to know which one is correct.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HALSE PARISH REGISTERS - Joane TROTT or ESCOTT, m. 1714
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 October 16 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hello
The records are on Ancestry  and it's possible to see both,so I can see how the confusion came about.
There is a large figure of 8, a squiggle that could be r but looks like two letters to me and ott.
The first letter certainly doesn't look like a T so I'd go for Escott.

Had a look at Carhampton baptisms and the first letter is definitely an E and matches the Joane Escotts baptised there 21.4.1682 and 14.5.1698 to Richard and Susanna and Hugh and Joane.
Hope that helps.

Ciderdrinker

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 October 16 12:16 BST (UK) »

There's an image on Ancestry. The writing is generally clear but this name is hard to call. It definitely ends "rott" but the first letter is unlike any others by the same hand. It most resembles his "S" but with the loop taken much further round than usual and a strange dot in the middle. It's nothing like the "T" used for the John Trott married the next year.

If it has to be one of the two, then Trott. If Srott is an existing name, then I'd go for that.

ETA. Seeing that Ciderdrinker has come to the opposite conclusion I'll reconsider ;)
That second letter is exactly as "r" was very commonly written in the previous century, but this scribe also uses a more modern form.  In that one entry he has the old form in "April" and as the second "r" in "married", the newer form in "Richard" and "Huckleburge" and the first "r" in "married"! If what I thought was an "r" in the surname is actually two letters, then the second could certainly be the old form of "c" (which he does use, e.g. in "Richard").  But the first is not like any "s" I can see. He usually uses the long form, except at the end of a word, but that doesn't fit here.   The "E"s elsewhere on the page are very different from the first letter we're puzzling over, and, I would say, not like the one in Carhampton either.  The "r" in the Trott entry in 1715 is exactly like the putative "r" here.

Overall I'm less certain than I was, but I still think that's more likely "rott" than "scott".

David

Offline MiniHistory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 October 16 01:18 BST (UK) »
David and Ciderdrinker, thank you both for your responses. So it seems like a genuine mystery not simply an error in transcription. I'll have to figure out another way of confirming which is the right one. Such a pity the census didn't start earlier :)

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 February 17 17:39 GMT (UK) »
just to add another one to the pot on roy parkhouses site the marriage has been transcribed as - jane trott and richard Hockelburge 26 Apr 1714 halse
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline MiniHistory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 March 17 04:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Alli. :) I think it will be filed away for a while under "Puzzles For Later".