Author Topic: Help Trace My Grandmother Bridget Mary Roche  (Read 15148 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help Trace My Grandmother Bridget Mary Roche
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 02 October 16 17:48 BST (UK) »
Good points all.

Some thoughts; perhaps Bridget was baptised Mary Bridget, not Bridget Mary? Also I have not yet tried other spellings of Roche - Roach, Roache.

Familysearch has these 2 possible birth registrations [though transcription may not yet be complete]
Name:   Bridget Roche
Event Type:   Birth
Event Date:   Jan - Mar 1888
Event Place:   Mallow, Ireland
Registration Quarter and Year:   Jan - Mar 1888
Registration District:   Mallow
Volume Number:   5
Page Number:   448
GS Film number:   101062

Ireland Civil Registration Indexes
Name   Bridget Roach
Event Type   Birth
Event Date   Oct - Dec 1887
Event Place   Castlebar, Ireland
Registration Quarter and Year   Oct - Dec 1887
Registration District   Castlebar
Volume Number   4
Page Number   97

There are  3 13 yr old Bridget Roche's in the 1901 census with 1 Bridget Roach & 1 Bridget Rochford.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 02 October 16 18:40 BST (UK) »
Also worth pointing out that "Mary" may be a confirmation name, and no part of either birth or baptism record.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 06 October 16 10:15 BST (UK) »
thankyou treetotal , bookbox wexflyer hallmark connahycalling and josey for all your input; it certainly helps.
 i have since looked for my grandmother on the 1939 register available from Find my Past. Her specific birth dates are 13th December 1887.
I suppose I have to tawl through the civil birth indexes and choose the most likely Bridget Roche, send off for the Certificate and try to find her through trial and error. Is there any other way I can find a record of her birth now that I have a more detailed date. She was a Roman Catholic.

Having read my very 1st post re: searching for the correct Roche family I realise that perhaps i didn't make it clear that my grandmother left Ireland around 1919 (assumed date) and went to London to marry my English grandfather Edward Bradfield who she had met in Irelnd. They spent most of their lives living in Ealing London where they brought up their only child my father Derek.
My English grandfather was a private in the Royal Army Supply Corps. mechanical branch. he was taught to drive by the army and commandeered the large vehicles. we have a photo of him with a fleet of ambulances. I have checked Army hospitals and bases in S. Ireland; there was a large base and hospital at Clonmel, there was also a military hospital in Waterford. This info helps confirm possible origins of my grandmother's family.
The only other helpful information i have concerns a Patrick Roche who has turned up on a 1931 census as living at their address in Ealing London. He must have been there for a short time as he is not registered as living there after 1931. One of my own brothers think my grandmother's family had a farm or certainly lived in a rural setting (we think there were pigs). As a child my father was taken back to Ireland for short visits. unfortunately my father has passed away; so we can't check any of these ideas. we think there's a link with Waterford as my grandmother had alot of Waterford glass. I hope someone on the forum has some ideas about bypassing the trial and error strategy of ordering countless birth certs. until the right one is found...I appreciate all your help and hope you may have some ideas. Thanks Geraldine96

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 06 October 16 14:47 BST (UK) »

i have since looked for my grandmother on the 1939 register available from Find my Past. Her specific birth dates are 13th December 1887.
I suppose I have to tawl through the civil birth indexes and choose the most likely Bridget Roche, send off for the Certificate and try to find her through trial and error.
No, no need to do that. Both the index and the full birth registrations themselves can be seen online for free at irishgenealogy.ie
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 06 October 16 16:37 BST (UK) »
Up until fairly recently many people simply didn't know the actual date they were born so that may not be the date appearing on her birth certificate.

we have a photo of him with a fleet of ambulances. I have checked Army hospitals and bases in S. Ireland; there was a large base and hospital at Clonmel, there was also a military hospital in Waterford. This info helps confirm possible origins of my grandmother's family.
Not sure that it does- British Army had units all over Ireland and the photo could have been taken when he was stationed somewhere temproarily, before he met his wife, etc.

The only other helpful information i have concerns a Patrick Roche who has turned up on a 1931 census as living at their address in Ealing London.
1931 is not available- do you mean the 1939 register? If it is the 1939 register what's listed as Patrick's date of birth?

One of my own brothers think my grandmother's family had a farm or certainly lived in a rural setting (we think there were pigs).
A farm is certainly possible but most were mixed farms and would have had a few cows, sheep, chickens, etc.

we think there's a link with Waterford as my grandmother had alot of Waterford glass.
So did my cousin's grandmother but she wasn't from Waterford.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 06 October 16 17:49 BST (UK) »
taghadowey, i am quite aware that i am 'clutching at straws' as the saying goes. I know there were british army depots all over Ireland but i have so little to go on, i thought I'd post what I had covered since asking for help to find my grandmother's' Roche' origins. I found Patrick Roche staying at the same address as my grandmother in Ealing in 1931 on a register; perhaps it was a polls register;  he's certainly not at that address in the 1939 register. i am trying to keep people intersted in the thread hence the information which clearly from your point of view appears naive!!

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 06 October 16 17:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Wexflyer, i'll try that, I'm glad I had the good sense to check with the forum first...
geraldine96

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 06 October 16 17:56 BST (UK) »
Is there any photographer's names and location on the back of the photos that you have posted that would help to identify where she was when they were taken? Are any of them postcards?.. Also...posting your Grandfather's photos might help too.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 07 October 16 17:00 BST (UK) »
Is there any photographer's names and location on the back of the photos that you have posted that would help to identify where she was when they were taken? Are any of them postcards?.. Also...posting your Grandfather's photos might help too.
Carol

I am not that good at judging ages etc but is the second photo definitely Bridget? If so, she looks much younger than at the time of her marriage so again, I wonder if there is a photographer's name on the back.
Also, do the witness names to the marriage help at all?
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk