Author Topic: Emanuel Lovekin Trial on 27th July 1842  (Read 351 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Emanuel Lovekin Trial on 27th July 1842
« on: Saturday 01 October 16 14:36 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information in respect of this trial at the Shropshire quarter sessions on 27th July 1842- in connection with Chartist activities and research.

many thanks for any help

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Emanuel Lovekin Trial on 27th July 1842
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 October 16 15:37 BST (UK) »
hi caroline
all i can find is this he was tried for conspiring to raise the rate of wages [ which you probably already realise ] found guilty but discharged on sureties thats all the record states .
best wishes
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 October 16 15:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you Trevor- that is great! I don't suppose the records show who stood the sureties for him? Just a long shot!

Were the quarter sessions held at shrewsbury please? Or at another location in Shropshire.

Caroline :)
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)

Offline brentor boy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 October 16 17:42 BST (UK) »
Have you thought of obtaining a press report of the trial? The British Library are likely to hold a copy of the relevant newspaper. They will conduct a 20 minute search free of charge, so if you can give the as much detail as you can - where, when and suggest a local publication likely to have a report - it will increase the chances of a successful result in the time available. They will then, for a modest fee, provide you with a copy. Whether it will provide the information you seek is anyone's guess.

I suggest you ask for the copy to be on A3. I unwisely requested A4 with the result that the print was so reduced that I require a magnifying glass to read it! Lesson learned.

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 October 16 17:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the advice. I have heard from the shropshire archives who tell me they have the Shropshire chronicle on microfiche and it is a reasonable train journey from Cheshire for a day out! So will see how I get on!  many many thanks

Caroline