Author Topic: LOVE/HART/McKAY descendantsin Scotland New Zealand +elsewhere  (Read 4593 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
LOVE/HART/McKAY descendantsin Scotland New Zealand +elsewhere
« on: Saturday 01 October 16 23:08 BST (UK) »
 I have been trying to work back through my grandma's family tree  that I was given
I know that her mother Mary Hart Stevenson was still alive in 1957 cos I have a photo

she celebrated golden wedding with ex coal miner Charles Stevenson both born 1878

Their marriage cert says they were living at green...?? St and Cantyne ? St
shettleston
    His parents were William walker Stevenson and Mary Blane

Mary Hart McKay.s parents were.       Donald mckay            Margaret ms Love

Both born around 1850 according to family tree .but that had her mother's name as Mary

Which led me to a possible  marriage and inbirth in  NZ ....  .so there is a post on forum there

I have now found some information about Margaret Love .she married Donald Mckay in june 1878

He was an engine keeper son of another Donald mckay engine keeper too and Mary Hart

She was daughter of William ?  Ileg  Margaret love  both deceased
witnesses Isabelle love Dougal mckay

I can't link Mary Hart mckay  born 1878 !  and Margaret mckay b @1850 to earlier censuses

Can't read Mary Hart Stevenson place of birth in 1911 census but she settled in Shettleston with her husband and 4 daughters including my BMW

Any help gratefully received. ...I've dismissed some of the censuses because father's name does not correspond but maybe he went by middle name ?? 

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid MCDERMID McDiarmid Gardner Jones ,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson ,McKay

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: McKay Love and Hart marriages
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 October 16 23:15 BST (UK) »
The NZ post has been transferred to Lanarkshire

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756758.msg6066854#msg6066854

I think Margaret love may have been from Ayrshire  a 1871 census has a 19 year old servant in lands but born in Ayrshire and she is living with her widowed mother Eliza also born  Stewerton Ayrshire but other siblings born lancs

In same household is her grandmother margaret McKie   could be related to our McKay's I've not seen original

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid MCDERMID McDiarmid Gardner Jones ,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson ,McKay

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST (Speciality - South Uist, Inverness)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 October 16 00:02 BST (UK) »
1881 census will give you where each were born (County) & possibly an exact place in said County?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie, MacDonald, MacInnes, MacIntyre, MacKinnon, Steele, Walker

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, MacKinnon, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 October 16 00:04 BST (UK) »
Is it possible to upload images of docs. with parts you can't decipher please but leave some extra info. attached for comparison?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie, MacDonald, MacInnes, MacIntyre, MacKinnon, Steele, Walker

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 October 16 00:14 BST (UK) »
I don't think e FindMyPast and Scotland speople sites let me down load images

I can't copy bits sorry .

Couldn't find them on 1881 census

There is a Mary McKay aged 71 widow living with coal miner son Donald age 34

On 1891 census but so many Mary Margaret and Donald's in shettleston I can't sort them out

I.ve been looking for marriages and births but don't know where best to start .

Past bedtime ...now ..hope to come back to it with a clearer head ...soon
Thanks Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 October 16 01:32 BST (UK) »
Bridgid,

Sorry if i sound bad but you need to start somewhere on the ladder which gives "definite" info. to begin with.

You can't follow a tree half way up the ladder without the facts & sources matching I'm afraid.

You need births which give marriage details of parents, from there you can search census' for their places of birth & ditto with each.

You cannot build on your tree with transcriptions although they are a terrific help.

You need to compare dates/ages/occupations/areas etc. to build a picture.

Annie

Added, Forget FindMyPast & others regarding genuine copies of anything as the only place to find that crucial info. is scotlandspeople but by all means use any other sites which are free, for a guide regarding possible dates/areas etc.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 October 16 06:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annie

On the other hand I can't pay for loads of originals til I've narrowed it down to probables

I haven't been adding my sources to FindMyPast tree and now realise I.m going to have to go back thru searches and saved images one by one

Mary Hart McKay s marriage to Charles Stevenson in 1904 was an orig
Their children's names:.   John mckay.   Margaret Love Mckay.   
Mary Hart Mckay and isabella give extra confirmation of grandparents names

1878 marriage of Margaret Love and Donald Mckay: lists her father as deceased
 so I can't look for William  on 1881 census

Donald Mckay was.aged 24 mother was Mary McKay ms Hart

the census Donald was orig 1911 but the transcription for wife mary.sr birthplace was just Lanarkshire  can't read the orig  I will get a computer lesson this week and ask about copy paste words from document s

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 'Girl with firewood'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 October 16 21:54 BST (UK) »
No sign of a Mary b. 1878 in the likely entry for the family in 1881. All the McKays showing as born in Shettleston, Lanarkshire:

Donald McKay 26 engine man
Margaret McKay 24
Donald McKay 2
Isabella McKay 9 Months
Peter Liddle 27 boarder

Address: Green Street, Bothwell, Lanarkshire

There is this family tree on a/try (you needs a subs to view it) http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/86318518/person/46569043832/facts  This shows the birth of Mary Hart McKay c. 1883 in Shettleston.

That fits with the family's entry for 1891:

Donald McKay 36 Colliery Engineman - Winding
Margaret McKay 34
Isabella McKay 10
Mary McKay 8
Margaret McKay 6
Helen McKay 4
John McKay 1

Address: 24 Baird's Sq, Bothwell

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 'Girl with firewood'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 October 16 22:09 BST (UK) »
This family tree here http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/73457229/person/48275468466/facts gives Donald McKay (husband of Margaret Love) and his birth as being on 25 June 1854 in Shettleston. No original sources given. Some of his siblings' birth show on this index here www.rootschat.com/links/01ilz/

1861 census for the Mckays in Shettleston:

Donald Mckay 38 engine worker b. Shettleston
Mary Mckay 37 b. Eastwood, Renfrewshire
Margaret Mckay 11
Ellen Mckay 9
Agness Mckay 8
Donald Mckay 6
Grace Mckay 4
Dougald Mckay 3
Mary Mckay 1

Address: 5 Threestone Hill

Monica