Author Topic: Birth certificate  (Read 6606 times)

Offline Stitches

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth certificate
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 October 16 20:52 BST (UK) »
Well....I have 3 half sisters, who told me"they know nothing",,,,so not much help, really.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 October 16 23:25 BST (UK) »
Well....I have 3 half sisters, who told me"they know nothing",,,,so not much help, really.

Are they older than you?  If so I would try asking them again, telling them that it is quite important for you to know where you come from.  If they're younger, then the chances are they don't know anything.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 October 16 23:44 BST (UK) »
No aunts/uncles/elderly relatives that might be able to at least speculate on who it might have been?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 October 16 00:06 BST (UK) »
The only other way may be if your father had to pay any maintenance to your mother - but evidence of that probably doesn't exist.

My brother in law is in a similar position and his mother is still alive! All she will tell him is a name, unfortunately quite a common one, and a rough date of birth. Unfortunately after years of looking we are no nearer finding out and she won't say any more. There is no chance of him still being alive as she is 85 and he was 20 years older than her, but it is a secret she won't reveal.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 October 16 01:02 BST (UK) »
Groom, Silly as it sounds perhaps she can't remember.  I had a baby girl in 1960 who was adopted.  We're back in touch and obviously she wanted to know about her father.  I honestly couldn't remember his surname, not because he was a one night stand but just because I think I've blocked it out of my memory.  I knew he was my cousin's friend and I had to contact my cousin to ask about him.  Unfortunately, my cousin has severe Parkinson's Disease and although he remembered his friend's name, he couldn't tell me anything else because he'd lost touch with his friend many years ago.

Lizzie

ps.  It's not just the name of the father of my baby I can't remember, I can't remember the names, surnames at least, of most of my boyfriends either.  Perhaps none of them were very memorable. ::)

Offline Stitches

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 October 16 08:00 BST (UK) »

Are they older than you?  If so I would try asking them again, telling them that it is quite important for you to know where you come from.  If they're younger, then the chances are they don't know anything.

They are younger than me..I was born in 1952 and adopted, yet my birth mother married my half sisters father in 1953

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 October 16 08:18 BST (UK) »
Is your birth mother's husband still alive?  He may know something, maybe even he's your father, or is there any other relative of your mother's who might help you?  It's possible, of course, that she never told anyone who the father is - I never told anyone who the father of my daughter was - and she just wants to forget.

Offline Stitches

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 October 16 08:38 BST (UK) »
Is your birth mother's husband still alive?  He may know something, maybe even he's your father, or is there any other relative of your mother's who might help you?  It's possible, of course, that she never told anyone who the father is - I never told anyone who the father of my daughter was - and she just wants to forget.
Mother and her husband long gone..I did actually think about the possibillity that he was my dad, but it's only that.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 October 16 10:25 BST (UK) »
I'm not knowledgeable enough about DNA tests, but would one of you and a half sister prove whether you shared the same father, at least if that was possible it would answer whether or not he was also your father.

What about adoption records, have you seen those, do they say anything about a father?

If your half siblings are younger than you, the chances are that they probably don't know anything, they probably weren't told either.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk