Author Topic: Martin Brennan  (Read 768 times)

Offline roxy51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martin Brennan
« on: Sunday 02 October 16 07:52 BST (UK) »
Looking for death, Will and probate record for Martin Brennan.  Possibly born about 1880 in Ireland or New York. My grandmother was contacted by an International Probate Researcher Harold Bakerman of 11 Park Place New York 7 NY on 26 March 1957 about his Will. We don't know if she was a beneficiary as we never heard anything else.  I found on Goggle that Bakerman was a disbarred lawyer so maybe that says it all.  Just interested how Martin was related to our family.  It has been a mystery for years. You never know he may have owned half of New York !!!  Many thanks for any assistance. :) :)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martin Brennan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 October 16 15:25 BST (UK) »
I guess it wouldn't be surprising if a disbarred lawyer went into a related field that didn't involve the practice of law.  It doesn't mean his information was necessarily faulty.

There seem to be more than one Martin Brennan that might fit the bill, so maybe it would be helpful if you could share more information.  Are there any Brennans in your known family tree?  Where are your people from in Ireland?  If your grandmother is deceased now, can you provide her dates of birth/death and her parents' names?

Offline roxy51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 October 16 07:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shelly for your reply.
My grandmother died in 1968.  Her father was Thomas Holohan born in Kilkenny about 1857 and came to Australia in 1879 along with his brother Michael and his wife Jane and their two children. Their parents were John James Holohan (police sergeant) and Catherine Doyle.

Thomas married Honora Stack in 1884. She was born in Cahirleaheen near Tralee, Ireland in 1862. She came to Australia in 1880. Her parents were Honora Nelligan and James Stack.
One of Honora's sisters, Ellen came to Australia but some of her other family emigrated to the US. Cousins, I think, Sarah and Nora Rafter went to Orange Co. Nora married a Lewis, and Sarah, a Nelson from Charlestown in Orange Co.
I know Irish names are notoriously hard to find as they all seem to have the same name.  Could I contact a NY state authority that would have a copy of the Probate document? 

I will be in NY at the end of Oct on  a tour which has prompted me to get back to Martin Brennan and the mystery surrounding him.

Many thanks for your help

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 October 16 12:01 BST (UK) »
Assuming this Martin lived in New York, I believe the probate records would be held in the Surrogates' Court in the county where he lived.  A date of death would probably be needed, too.

Offline hanski_1987

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have a mark / martin in my family tree

apparently he was a boxer not sure if he was a big champion boxer and born in qld in 1883 but cannot track him - there is talk he came from america but have not confirmed this. he died in wa in 1955

do you know how you are related to him as yet?