Author Topic: Sail Vessel SELINA JANE Sharpness Birmingham R Severn? UK LOCATION help please  (Read 3207 times)

Offline 001uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hello!

Any ideas please as to the location of the

SELINA JANE ketch

c1912. I have found the ketch SELINA JANE was owned by The Sharpness New Docks and Gloucester and Birmingham Navigation Co. It was built in 1872.  There's a distinctive brick warehouse with deeply inset windows alongside. No lettering on the other boats.

In the distance, to the left, are goal posts in a football pitch and possibly a railway bridge.

Could she moored up on the River Severn somewhere?

With thanks~001uk
TABB of Saltash

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sail Vessel SELINA JANE Sharpness Birmingham R Severn? UK LOCATION help please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 October 16 10:37 BST (UK) »
Could be on the Sharpness & Gloucester Canal?
Or the Worcester & Birmingham Canal?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 October 16 10:46 BST (UK) »
I was wondering about the clearance that a ketch would need - could they go up canals and through locks?

Offline HazelBea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 October 16 10:48 BST (UK) »
Could this be her demise ? Sorry its quite a scroll down.
Sharpness Saul junction boatyard ?
http://www.cotswoldcanalsheritage.org.uk/page_id__132.aspx

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 October 16 10:54 BST (UK) »
I was wondering about the clearance that a ketch would need - could they go up canals and through locks?

The Gloucester & Sharpness Canal was once the broadest and deepest in the world, at 86ft 6in wide and 18ft deep, taking craft of 600 tons (with maximum dimensions 190ft long and 29ft wide).

The original canal was the Gloucester & Berkeley Canal and was big enough to take the largest sea-going ships of the early nineteenth century. The opening of the canal in 1827 enabled Gloucester to develop as an inland port, well placed to serve the growing industrial towns of the Midlands. As the size of ships in world trade increased during the nineteenth century, a large new dock at Sharpness was opened in 1874.
Coaster traffic on the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal (as it was renamed) effectively died out in the 1980s, but Sharpness remains a working port.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline 001uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 October 16 12:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hazelbea.
The image (a postcard) post dates the Padstow incident so I'm sure the ketch in the photo was under the ownership of the Sharpness New Docks and Gloucester and Birmingham Navigation Co.

....and thanks KGarrad
SELINA JANE could well be on the Sharpness & Gloucester Canal or Worcester & Birmingham Canal.
TABB of Saltash

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 October 16 13:16 BST (UK) »
Reading that link from Hazelbea, it saya:

The vessel had been in trouble in the Youghal River through stranding and in September 1910 she was sold to the Sharpness New Docks & Gloucester & Birmingham Navigation Company and ended up as an accommodation vessel for stevedores at Sharpness.  In 1926 she was dismantled and taken to the ship graveyard at Purton to act as a breakwater.  Her remains can still be seen.

So, looks like she was at Sharpness?

Offline HazelBea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 October 16 13:44 BST (UK) »
That's why I thought Sharpness KG. If she was moored accommodation would she still have sails and rigging intact ? Maybe the skippers farewell photo ?

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 October 16 15:35 BST (UK) »

The Gloucester & Sharpness Canal was once the broadest and deepest in the world, at 86ft 6in wide and 18ft deep, taking craft of 600 tons (with maximum dimensions 190ft long and 29ft wide).

The original canal was the Gloucester & Berkeley Canal and was big enough to take the largest sea-going ships of the early nineteenth century. The opening of the canal in 1827 enabled Gloucester to develop as an inland port, well placed to serve the growing industrial towns of the Midlands. As the size of ships in world trade increased during the nineteenth century, a large new dock at Sharpness was opened in 1874.
Coaster traffic on the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal (as it was renamed) effectively died out in the 1980s, but Sharpness remains a working port.

I was wondering more about the likelihood of it being the Worcester to Birmingham Canal - I thought that at least some of the locks were only 7ft wide, and I assumed that the ketch would be wider than that  :-\