Author Topic: Sail Vessel SELINA JANE Sharpness Birmingham R Severn? UK LOCATION help please  (Read 3208 times)

Offline 001uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Sail Vessel SELINA JANE Sharpness Birmingham R Severn? UK LOCATION help please
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 02 October 16 19:00 BST (UK) »
Yes Spidermonkey, she must have been sailable otherwise why buy her only to leave her in County Cork ?
She probably worked for a few years then accommodation at Sharpness then dismantled at Purton, not far away ?

I agree! See image of distance between Sharpness & Purton

The BIG question is just WHERE is that warehouse? it's substantial enough to be standing still. I'll phone a friend.
TABB of Saltash

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 02 October 16 19:20 BST (UK) »
I can see no sign that the masts on the ketch are foldable or removable, without the mast removed she would not get very far up the Severn from Gloucester, it might be that after conversion to sleeping accommodation she was towed up to Worcester with the masts removed

Mike

Offline shanghaipanda

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 02 October 16 19:25 BST (UK) »
http://www.friendsofpurton.org.uk/purtonthevessels.html#S

don't know if this is of any interest ...  shows the "last resting place of the Selina Jane"

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 02 October 16 19:39 BST (UK) »
The position of the Purton hulks is best seen from the air. They are in the river - sort of - rather than the canal.

(Satellite pic) http://www.instantstreetview.com/@51.736701,-2.45635,18z,0t
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 00:52 BST (UK) »
Good morning,

I think the photo is taken when she was still a working ship. Had she already been made an accommodation ship she would have no need of a tender and the masts would most likely have been unstepped. The sails would most certainly have been removed for use on another ship.

Her primary trade was probably in the Bristol channel given that she was rescued by the Padstow lifeboat. Whilst she could have gone as far as Gloucester it would be via the river rather than the canal. She doesn't have fold down masts which would be needed to pass under the bridges over the canal. No bridges on the river downstream of Gloucester until the Severn bridges were built.

I have a friend in Devon who has a masters ticket for sail. I will ask how easy it would be to take a ship under sail up and down the river given how twisty it is.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline 001uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 07:33 BST (UK) »
I think the photo is taken when she was still a working ship. Had she already been made an accommodation ship she would have no need of a tender and the masts would most likely have been unstepped. The sails would most certainly have been removed for use on another ship.
Her primary trade was probably in the Bristol channel given that she was rescued by the Padstow lifeboat. Whilst she could have gone as far as Gloucester it would be via the river rather than the canal. She doesn't have fold down masts which would be needed to pass under the bridges over the canal. No bridges on the river downstream of Gloucester until the Severn bridges were built.

Thank you John915 for your expert opinion. I agree with you. The photo is whilst she was still working (c1912). Your other interesting obs noted
TABB of Saltash

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 07:39 BST (UK) »
The canal from Sharpness to Gloucester canal was built specifically to allow vessels to avoid a narrow, twisting, dangerous section of the river, and where vessels were likely to ground at certain times of the year.

I think she was likely working between Gloucester and Sharpness, and down the Bristol Channel.

IMHO I don't think the picture was taken on the Channel.
So that leaves us with the Gloucester-Sharpness canal?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 10:46 BST (UK) »
The canal has swing  bridges to allow large vessels thro, my thought is that she is moored on the sharpness canal and very likely near one of the bridges, otherwise the photographer would have had a very long walk to take the photo from the non towpath side.

Mike

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 11:06 BST (UK) »
Looking again at the photo she is definitely moored in a canal or dock rather than a river. One of the wharves along the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal seems the most likely although Lydney just across the severn is an outside possibility.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex