Author Topic: charles grant and Catherine Grant (nee Campbell) of society street Nairn in 1891  (Read 1934 times)

Offline banjomike

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
 My  G Grandfather Charles Grant born 1863 in Nairn wife Catherine , daughter Isable agnes lennie Grant, born 1893 (my Grandmother) lived in Society street Nairn until about 1901, he was a merchant seaman steward,  they moved to Ingleton Yorkshire  by 1901 census .
in the 1891 Census wifes niece  Williamina Barclay aged 7yrs was staying at the hiuse in Socie tty street, i knew her well she also moved to Yorkshire but this is the only entry I can find about her

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: charles grant and Catherine Grant (nee Campbell) of society street Nairn in 1891
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 October 16 19:33 BST (UK) »
Think I've found her birth but should explain that it was common practice in Scotland for children to have their natural fathers surname even if they were illegitimate.   This would seem to be the case here:

Williamina Jane Campbell, illegitimate, born 25/2/1884 at 57 Society Street, Nairn, daughter of Jane Campbell, Domestic Servant (Cook) - informant was her mother.

Bearing in mind the address where she was born then this is surely her and presumably her natural father had the surname Barclay.   I assumed here that Jane Campbell must be a sister of Catherine and I see from 1871 that indeed she was.

I see a Williamina Barclay married Sept.qtr.1913 Leeds, Yorkshire to a Thomas Kelly.   Possibly her as Grants ended up in Yorkshire but just conjecture on my part???

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: charles grant and Catherine Grant (nee Campbell) of society street Nairn in 1891
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 October 16 19:43 BST (UK) »
Scrap that marriage - I've found a marriage for a Williamina Campbell (her true surname) married to a Charles H. Illingworth Sept.qtr.1921 Bradford, Yorkshire

Deaths index shows a Williamina Jane Illingworth born 25/2/1884, d.June quarter 1972 Lancaster.   These 2 Christian names and birth date would seem to confirm this was Williamina Jane Campbell (Barclay).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline banjomike

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 October 16 20:38 BST (UK) »
Thats fantastic news, you are brilliant, I knew Williamina etc for most of my leave i understood  she was my grandmas  cousin, sadly when they were alive I didnt ask questions just remember odd things , we lived with my grandma Isabelle agnes lennie  grant until I was 9 in Ingleton, I found out after my mother died that my cousin was actually my half brother !