Author Topic: Ayres/Cornwell family Bottisham arranged marriages  (Read 492 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Ayres/Cornwell family Bottisham arranged marriages
« on: Sunday 02 October 16 17:26 BST (UK) »
I understand that this family(my ancestors) often had arranged marriages. i had so far met an omerta on thr matter but have unearthed one probavle and one which could not happen as the man concerned was killed in WW1.
Any roots chat member know of these? either by public post or personal message which i shall not divulge. Thanks.

Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ayres/Cornwell family Bottisham arranged marriages
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 October 16 09:52 BST (UK) »
Granted there were several marriages involving members of these two extended Bottisham families over the years. I have ten listed between 1812 – 1933, which hardly constitutes an occasion occurring that ‘often’ given the size and proximity of the respective families concerned. CORNWELL/RAYMENT marriages occurred with the same sort of frequency. But I have never come across anything to suggest that these marriages were in any sense ‘arranged’ implying some form of family pressure.
CORNWELLs (and variants) with origins in the ancient county of Cambridgeshire & Isle of Ely - any date.