Author Topic: St Nicholas, Newcastle. Baptism Look-up Request  (Read 979 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Nicholas, Newcastle. Baptism Look-up Request
« on: Sunday 02 October 16 20:29 BST (UK) »
I'd be really grateful if someone could look-up the following baptisms at St Nicholas, Newcastle.  I have the BT's but some of the information is either unclear or conflicting so I'm hoping the PR's will bring some clarity:

25 Dec 1803 - Isabella Jeffreys (2nd daughter)
28 Oct 1808 - Sarah & Elizabeth Jeffreys (1st & 4th daughters)
14 Apr 1811 - Richard Jeffreys (1st son)

The parents are Richard Jeffreys and Minney (Wilhelmina) Forbes, and as the baptisms come under the Barrington era there's lots of information but I'm specifically interested in Minney, her father and where they both came from.   

Many thanks in advance if anyone is able to help.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: St Nicholas, Newcastle. Baptism Look-up Request
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 October 16 23:12 BST (UK) »
If no-one comes up with it before hand, I'll have a look on Wednesday for you

Christine

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 October 16 23:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you Christine, it would be greatly appreciated.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 23:03 BST (UK) »
Some of these records were quite faded but mostly legible so here goes!

Isabella born  8th Sept. 1803 – 2nd daughter of Richard Jeffreys Glassmaker son of John Jeffreys of Old Swinford Worcestershire by his wife Minnie Forbes native of Dunse Berwickshire daughter of Matthew Forbes.

Sarah born 10th Feb. 1801 – 1st daughter and Elizabeth born 5th Oct. 1808 4th daughter of Richard Jeffreys Glassmaker native of Worcestershire by his wife Minney daughter of Matthew of (looks like) Athring, Scotland

And just to confuse! –
Richard born 3rd Jan. 1811 1st son of Richard Jeffreys Glassmaker of the county of Worcester by his wife Milney daughter of Alexander Forbes, Tailor of North Britain

Whatever happened to daughter number three?

Christine

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 23:39 BST (UK) »
Scots: Dunse

Normally called Duns now.

North Britain = Scotland

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 October 16 00:13 BST (UK) »
Christine, thank you so much for looking these up for me.   

The BT's also had Alexander as Minney's father on the 1811 baptism so I'm pleased the others confirm him as Matthew. 

The place name on Sarah & Elizabeth's baptism is also still a puzzle, but again, its helpful to know what's on the PR - especially now that that Scotlands Places is free.   :D

I haven't been able to find daughter number 3 so far, but this is a line I put away as being 'too hard' a year or two back so she may yet turn up!   

Minney/Wilhelmina is still my biggest mystery though as I can find no record of her birth, marriage or even her death, so the information from these baptisms is all I have to go on & I'm very grateful for the time you've taken to help.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 October 16 22:12 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't rely too much on the place name in the second baptism - it was very faded.  Also the writing wasn't too precise eg in Isabella's baptism her father's occupation looked like Hassmaker not Glassmaker!

I also forgot to mention that the abode on all three baptisms was given as 'Close'.

They certainly don't seem like an easy family to follow - good luck  :)

Christine