Author Topic: Joshua Raphael JOSEPH 1871 census Hamstead  (Read 2175 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Joshua Raphael JOSEPH 1871 census Hamstead
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 October 16 11:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you again jamjar and avm.

I noticed that Joshua in 1851 is a ladies boot manufacturer. That Freedom of the City record sounds very interesting, especially the possible German connection. Just wondering, is that record available on Ancestry? Don't have a sub at the moment, but might look it up at the library if that's where you saw it.

So many thanks again.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 October 16 11:27 BST (UK) »
I believe Hester's maiden name is Lazarus, mistranscribed for her mother. Emma Lazarus is with the family in '41.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 October 16 11:42 BST (UK) »
Yes, thanks Jamjar, I thought that might be the case. I'm off to bed now, but have lots to follow up on tomorrow. Thank you all  ;D

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 October 16 13:01 BST (UK) »

I noticed that Joshua in 1851 is a ladies boot manufacturer. That Freedom of the City record sounds very interesting, especially the possible German connection. Just wondering, is that record available on Ancestry? Don't have a sub at the moment, but might look it up at the library if that's where you saw it.

So many thanks again.

Yes, you'll be able to view the record on Ancestry :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 October 16 13:11 BST (UK) »
Joshua Joseph appears to have made a success of his wholesale shoe manufacturing trade - his estate was valued at "under £14,000" (i.e. over £13,000 but not as much as £14,000) upon his death on 12 April 1859.  He was "late of 13 Skinner St, Snow Hill" but died at the family's Hampstead address, 3 Peterborough Villas, Finchley New Road (now Finchley Road).  His widow Hester was one of his executors.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 02:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks again avm. Certainly does sound successful, although when Raphael Joshua died in 1885 in Australia his estate was valued at only around 500 pounds (still a pretty good sum, but not quite 14000!)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 06:23 BST (UK) »
Knowing what to look for, I see advertisements for "Joshua Joseph and Sons" all over the place now.  :D
And a possible sister for Joshua snr is Rachel who married Joseph Lipman, whose son Lewis was an importer for the shoe co in Australia.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 January 17 03:22 GMT (UK) »
Not asking for any more help (everyone's input has helped very much in tracking this family down!), but just thought I would add, just in case any one in the future sees this thread, that Hester's maiden name was not LAZARUS, but JACOBS. The last 3 of her children were born after 1937, so I found the maiden name on their registration. I have also found a marriage for Joshua JOSEPH and Hester JACOBS at the Great Synagogue on London on 21 January 1827.

I can only assume the Mary LAZARUS who appears with Hester in the 1861 census could be related to Hester's son-in-law John Israel LAZARUS who married Emma JOSEPH in 1858, but haven't found any proof yet.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 06 January 17 01:15 GMT (UK) »
I should have also added that I think Joshua first married Jane Hyam (daughter of David) on 20 June 1821 and had children Raphael and David. I assume Jane died around 1825/6 and Joshua then married Hester Jacobs (daughter of Nathan) in 1827 and had 10 more children.