Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 157081 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #504 on: Thursday 15 June 17 11:11 BST (UK) »
Maybe they just called Alfred as a middle forename as it was a popular name at the time used by Queen Victoria's children or royal relatives.

Not all but most male common forenames names then derived from Kings, Princes (Alfred, Albert) ,Edward, John, William, James, Richard, George, Charles or biblical names Joseph coat of many colours, Peter, King David, Christopher (Christofer), Paul etc
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 09:10 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Hood wife of William Cook

Either John Hood's sister ( his wife Elizabeth Gibson married 1779 Newcastle) or George Hood's sister daughter of aforesaid John Hood

Either way that is (Aunty or Gt Aunty to James Hood who was father of Elizabeth Cook Hood).......... Mrs Elizabeth Cook nee Hood

James could not name his daughter after the aunties maiden name having a daughter named  being Elizabeth Hood Hood - so named daughter her after her married surname naming his daughter Elizabeth Cook Hood

------------------------------------------------
Assuming George d 1845 Selby came from another family of Hood's

Same as above would apply
if George's real dad had a sister or George himself had a sister named Elizabeth Hood who married a man called Cook

Being Aunty or Gt Aunty (Mrs) Elizabeth Cook (nee Hood) to James Cook father of Elizabeth Cook Hood son of George Hood

If this scenario is realistic, it could help in looking for a George Hood with a sister or aunty named Mrs Elizabeth Cook nee Hood
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: Thursday 22 June 17 07:49 BST (UK) »
If this is the correct family ? then things will start fall into place like the correct pieces of a jigsaw.

Info from accumulated research by Claire, Jomot, Mark, and BumbleB  and recap of Rootschat posts on threads and LDS - F/S

(Elizabeth)
Elisabeth Hood (Mrs Cook) prob sister of George Hood bapt 1786 son of John

Baptism

15 April 1781

ALL SAINTS, NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, NORTHUMBERLAND, ENGLAND

father:

John Hood (Prob Mother Elizabeth Gibson brother of Richard Gibson a Cooper Selby)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Christ Church
Eleanor Cook born 4 Sept 1805, christened 25 Dec 1805, 2nd daughter of William Cook of North Shields, Mariner, native of Suffolk by his wife Elizabeth Hood native of All Saints Parish [an entry for William 1st son states that William is native of Lowestoff (Suffolk)]
==========================================

Est Year of birth from death/burial age  born 1781

County Northumberland
Place Tynemouth
Church name Christ Church
Register type Bishop's Transcripts
Burial date 09 Jul 1814
Person age 33
Burial person forename Elizabeth
Burial person surname COOK
Burial person abode North Shields
Relationship Wife
Male relative forename Wm.
Relative surname COOK

===================================

George Hood Cooper died 1845 age 60 and married 1815 age 28 Est year of birth 1786/7 --- his son James and Sarah's (nee Arundel) family

Mary Ellen Hood b Selby 1853
Elizabeth Cook Hood b Selby 1854
Adeline Hood b Selby 1855
Sarah Hood b Selby 1856
John Wilkinson Hood b Selby 1858
William Russell Hood b Selby 1861
James Alfred Hood b Sunderland  1863
George Arundel Hood b 1866 Selby
Bernard Pearson Hood b 1870 Scarboro

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: Thursday 22 June 17 17:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you dobfarm for replies and setting this question out.

I've ordered two more post 1858 Wills, one is a Sister to my direct lineage, to check for any clue.

Hoping the Quaker Meeting Minutes will help.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: Saturday 24 June 17 12:35 BST (UK) »
If this is the correct family ? then things will start fall into place like the correct pieces of a jigsaw.

Info from accumulated research by Claire, Jomot, Mark, and BumbleB  and recap of Rootschat posts on threads and LDS - F/S

(Elizabeth)
Elisabeth Hood (Mrs Cook) prob sister of George Hood bapt 1786 son of John

Baptism

15 April 1781

ALL SAINTS, NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, NORTHUMBERLAND, ENGLAND

father:

John Hood (Prob Mother Elizabeth Gibson brother of Richard Gibson a Cooper Selby)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Christ Church
Eleanor Cook born 4 Sept 1805, christened 25 Dec 1805, 2nd daughter of William Cook of North Shields, Mariner, native of Suffolk by his wife Elizabeth Hood native of All Saints Parish [an entry for William 1st son states that William is native of Lowestoff (Suffolk)]
==========================================

Est Year of birth from death/burial age  born 1781

County Northumberland
Place Tynemouth
Church name Christ Church
Register type Bishop's Transcripts
Burial date 09 Jul 1814
Person age 33
Burial person forename Elizabeth
Burial person surname COOK
Burial person abode North Shields
Relationship Wife
Male relative forename Wm.
Relative surname COOK

===================================

George Hood Cooper died 1845 age 60 and married 1815 age 28 Est year of birth 1786/7 --- his son James and Sarah's (nee Arundel) family

Mary Ellen Hood b Selby 1853
Elizabeth Cook Hood b Selby 1854
Adeline Hood b Selby 1855
Sarah Hood b Selby 1856
John Wilkinson Hood b Selby 1858
William Russell Hood b Selby 1861
James Alfred Hood b Sunderland  1863
George Arundel Hood b 1866 Selby
Bernard Pearson Hood b 1870 Scarboro

James Hood, Tallow Chandler, Brother, of Joplings Buildings in the City of Durham, has been granted ADMINISTRATION in 1880 (year after the death of Sarah Hood of Selby in 1879) in respect of:-

Mary Hood, Spinster, who died 24th November 1854 at Selby
Ellen Hood, Spinster, who died 27th July 1855 at Selby.

So James Hood must have gone to Durham.

However, only two Admins for George Hood's four unmarried adult children?

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: Saturday 24 June 17 15:00 BST (UK) »

The family were at Young Street, St. Giles, Durham in 1881

James, Sarah and four sons - John 23, William 21, George 18 and Bernard 10.

James, Sarah and Bernard plus Grandaughter Georgiana are in Derbyshire by 1891.
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: Sunday 25 June 17 09:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you dobfarm for replies and setting this question out.

I've ordered two more post 1858 Wills, one is a Sister to my direct lineage, to check for any clue.

Hoping the Quaker Meeting Minutes will help.

Regards Mark

These Admins were granted in Wakefield -so the deeds Admin/Wills book at Wakefield deeds registers in WYAS new building archives in Wakefield ( near Kirkgate Rail Station) may have some further info, by 1880 - insurances/deeds maps and any correspondence of socicitors (Byefield ? Selby businesses property) or may have nothing  ???  Also unindexed related documents- these are in the Selby parish admin index book and non index (Peculiar Admin) holdings book used to be found in the old WYAS building (by Wakefield Tech College ) in the first point of call room where you sign in. Lichfield, Leigh , Sheffield, Manchester or Nottingham Archives could have Doc's related to Selby

Jane Hood bapt 1781 daughter of John Hood All Saints Newcastle upon Tyne (Sister of Elizabeth Cook nee Hood bapt 1781 All saints daughter of John Hood.-Possible sister of George Hood bapt 1786 Gateshead son of John Hood)

Jane Hood X William Davison married Monkwearmouth  1803

Daughter Jane Davison bapt 1806 Sunderland

Son Richard Davison  bapt 1809 Sunderland

Could have links to James Hood and wife Sarah Arundel native of Selby but living in Sunderland/Durham

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: Sunday 25 June 17 17:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Claire and dobfarm

For £10 each, I'll get the Admin copies (besides the other Wills I'm waiting for), as there was obviously some reason why James Hood had to apply for the 1880 Admins in respect of two of George Hood's unmarried deceased adult children and not it seems, for the other two, who also died unmarried.

I expect they had either been left items by George Hood (Probate 1846), or hopefully a later bequest by a relative, which remained with George's Widow, Sarah Hood until her death in 1879.

--------

Cecilia Westley

My 2 X Gt. Grandfather George Hood (G.H.) was with his Wife, Charlotte Hood, at Hulme in 1871 (not too far from Bowdon in Cheshire). Charlotte Hood died.

When G.H. married Cecilia Westley in 1872 at Northampton, George Hood was living in the Parish of Bowdon Cheshire.

So a big question in my mind was how did George & Cecilia meet.

In the 1871 Census Cecilia Westley (age 21, born Brentford) was a Domestic at the Bull Hotel, in Leicester.

In 1871, the Bull Hotel Proprietor was Henry A Thomson (born Jarrow) and his Wife, Mary Thomson, was nee Mary Robinson, born Carlton, Yorks (1861 Stag & Pheasant, Leicester, has Selby in the Census). In 1851 the couple were at Lincoln and he was a Spirit Merchant and Mary Thomson was born Carlton.

Tracing both the Henry Abraham Thomson and Mary Robinson back, Mary Thomson was the Daughter of John Robinson, Farmer & Ann Eddel, and Mary was baptised at Carlton 1st January 1826.

The Marriage of John Robinson of Snaith and Chapelry of Carlton, Bachelor and Ann Eddell, Spinster, by Licence, was on 1st March 1821, in the presence of Witnesses:- Wm Storr; Hannah COOKE and Hannah Eddell.

--------

Do you recall the 1830 William Cockin of Snaith = Ann Robinson Marriage (at Hatfield), John Hepworth and William COOKE were their witnesses.

--------

It left me wondering if the two COOKEs were linked.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: Sunday 25 June 17 17:41 BST (UK) »

Marriage not online that I can see but Henry A Thomson and Mary Robinson married in the Selby district 1850.
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk