Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 158706 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #522 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 16:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm

I got the original scan off FindMyPast (much clearer), but same as your print.

There is a massive amount of Royal Navy records in TNA, Kew and afraid that I am only familiar with a tiny amount of 1940 R.N.

So I have posted a request for any assistance here.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=773979.msg6272357#msg6272357

Help with Royal Naval Allotment Books and Records circa 1808 - 1815?

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 17:04 BST (UK) »
Land tax records 1812 would end of 1812 tax year March 1813  allied end of Parish year

If this is the case, George Hood left the HMS Acasta July 15th 1812, then he was free of RN- Berwick place of Allotment payment being North east, Northumberland.

Perfect for George Selby 1812)

For the 18th century and much of the 19th century, ratings only signed up for a commission on a particular ship and was only employed for the duration of the commission. Therefore, naval rating's records are rarely indexed by name with no individual service records kept on a sailor. It is therefore imperative that the name of the ship is known to conduct research on a rating. After Continuous Service was introduced in 1853, centralised records were kept on individual ratings which established a professional structure to the Navy.

https://www.genguide.co.uk/source/royal-navyroyal-marines--muster-amp-pay-books-service-records--ratings-amp-officers-military/260/

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 17:09 BST (UK) »
Yes, this George Hood's Birthplace, should be in the Ship's Book of the ACASTA in ADM 36.

But I could only find a few Ship's Books online (not the ACASTA) on the subscription site and wondered whether I was searching right?

--------

George Hood was in the Selby Land Tax from March 1812 (although I believe an 'Occupier' does not have to live there, but simply renting the premises from the owner, because some sub-let, or rented several premises).

... "Assessment made for one Year from the 25th Day March 1812" ...

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 17:12 BST (UK) »
Just edited my last post adding

Land tax records 1812 would be  end of 1812 tax year March 1813 allied end of Parish year.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 19:09 BST (UK) »
There are seven Muster Books for the ACASTA 1808 to 1812 in ADM 37
(nothing listed from 1 Nov 1809 to 30 March 1811)

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=ACASTA%20musters&_ep=ACASTA&_cr=ADM&_dss=range&_sd=1808&_ed=1812&_ro=any&_st=adv

Two Pay Books in ADM 35 covering 1806 to 1815

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_ep=ACASTA&_cr=ADM%2035&_dss=range&_sd=1810&_ed=1812&_ro=any&_st=adv

There are two Master's Log Books April 1811-1813 (with a short break) in ADM 52 and Captain's Log Books Feb 1805 to Feb 1806 and April 1811 to August 1815 in ADM 51.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_ep=ACASTA&_cr=ADM%2051%7CADM%2052&_dss=range&_sd=1810&_ed=1812&_ro=any&_st=adv

Hopefully a Birthplace location looks hopeful.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 19:40 BST (UK) »

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: Thursday 29 June 17 00:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies dobfarm

James Hood of Selby, was the same James Hood of Scarborough Tallow Chandler.

The Partnership of Newham and Hood, Tallow Chandlers, at Scarborough was dissolved in 1875.
(Thomas Newham and James Hood), see attachment.

Thomas Newham, died aged 78 in 1886, District of Scarborough.
Thomas Newham, died aged 59 in 1900, District of Scarborough.

The 1900 Probate Calendar states:-
NEWHAM Thomas of 11 South Street Scarborough butcher and farmer died 11 January 1900 Administration YORK 2 April to Thomas Hugill Newham butcher Effects £9631 10s. 10d.

Been looking at the Probate Calendars back from 1900 and found this:-

HOOD Francis of 12 South Street Scarborough greengrocer died 25 January 1893 Administration YORK 6 May to Harriet Hood widow Effects £94 15s.

A Francis Hood and Harriet Pettyt, married in the District of York, June Quarter 1868.

Francis Hood living one house number away, from the former business partner (or his family) of James Hood of Selby?

Be interesting to see the marriage of this Francis Hood (born about 1845/1846, per death age of 47 years on Free BMD) and anything else that can be dug up please?

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: Thursday 29 June 17 00:18 BST (UK) »

Marriage of Francis Hood
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk