Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 158541 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #675 on: Saturday 15 July 17 01:34 BST (UK) »

Mark - where is that info from, if you don't mind me asking. It's not showing up on either of the main sites. It may have been transcribed wrongly or something.

google search ... wesleyan selby Hood

Family search is saying Elizabeth Hood, parents John and Sarah   :(

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: Saturday 15 July 17 01:53 BST (UK) »

That definitely looks like her  :( wonder where the info has come from ?

F M P is the same - dates only cover the period up to 1837
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: Saturday 15 July 17 02:38 BST (UK) »

Right, there is a John Hood and Sarah in Hinckley in the 1861 census, they have a daughter Eliza who is 5 months old.

They also had an Elizabeth in 1859 - 3rd Qtr. who does not appear in the 1861 census, there is a death registration too in Hinckley 1859 - 3rd Qtr.
I can also see baptisms for two of their other children in St Mary's ( Anglican)

Did your John & Sarah baptise any other children ? I can see that Bernard P Hood married in Kedleston Street Bourne Chapel - that's a Primitive Methodist Chapel.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: Saturday 15 July 17 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you Claire

Back to STEARS of Bewholme (same family as Frances Stears, the Witness on Maudland Hood's 1794 Selby marriage), this Benjamin BARRON (1803 STEARS Marriage below) apparently had links to CLEMENTHORP and Parish of BLACKTOFT, Yorkshire, where there were also COCKINs.

HORNSEA MEETING 1803 [Bewholme is 3 miles from Hornsea]
Certificate of marriage between Benjamin BARRON of CLEMENTHORP and ANN STEARS of BEWHOLME (from an archive description - not seen).

This Barron (1794 - 1867) was a Quaker
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Barron_Wiffen

There was a George COCKIN at Blacktoft and Clementhorpe and Staddlethorpe and Sandholme, begining to wonder if George Cockin had links or dealings with QUAKERS?

I have just looked at the 200 year old, Dickinson - Cockin Deed for Staddlethorpe and Clementhorpe. Barnard Dickinson; Joseph Dickinson; George Cockin and John Peirson have all used the same unnamed Seal.

I don't know yet, if I'm onto something, or nothing, about George Hood's origin.

We also have, who we believe is the Clerk, John DICKINSON, witness at George Hood's 1815 Wedding, perhaps he might be related, other witness James COOKIN.

--------

The 1802 Selby property Deed for the Dwelling house (divided into two), part occupied by JOHN HOOD in Millgate, Selby, is no hovel, it has an orchard.

John Hood of Selby Mariner, whose Daughter Maudland Hood has witness Frances STEARS a Quaker at her Wedding to Charles Turner in 1794.

JOHN HOOD of SELBY buried April 1819.

Just say for instance he inherited property in Scotland, I wonder if a Will for him, or Jane Hood, is listed at the Scottish Registry?

Just a few thoughts.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: Saturday 15 July 17 11:27 BST (UK) »
George Hood of Selby purchased (Henry Mitton's) Malt Kiln, from John Clarkson of New Port in the Parish of Eastrington, Farmer.

Just noticed that there was a George Cockin of Sandholme in the Parish of Eastrington.

If the same Eastrington?

I wonder if there is any link to COOKIN / COCKIN on George HOOD's 1815 Selby Marriage, to be found there?

Regards Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: Saturday 15 July 17 11:53 BST (UK) »

If the same Eastrington?

Yes, Newport and Sandholme next door to each other
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: Saturday 15 July 17 12:04 BST (UK) »
George Hood of Selby purchased (Henry Mitton's) Malt Kiln, from John Clarkson of New Port in the Parish of Eastrington, Farmer.

Just noticed that there was a George Cockin of Sandholme in the Parish of Eastrington.

EDIT: They are the same Eastrington.

I wonder if there is any link to COOKIN / COCKIN on George HOOD's 1815 Selby Marriage, to be found there?

Regards Mark

Hello All

Thanks Goughy

See my two posts today.

Kind regards Mark

EDIT
Hello All

Claire has just PM: Quaker Barron / Stears, have Collinson links. My George Hood of Selby had property dealings with a James Collinson of Selby.

See Reply #660 and Reply #662 for associated images and today above, thank you.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756955.msg6283433#msg6283433

There was a Richard Hood; William Hood and I believe Hannah near to Hornsea at Catwick / Leven, perhaps more Hoods?

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: Saturday 15 July 17 16:39 BST (UK) »
First I have to apologise: Hannah Richardson married at CATTON - she was the widow of Thomas Richardson who she married at Beverley c1790. Married again at Catton 1802. She was a relation of Richard Hood ( of Stamford Bridge)

From looking at the Quaker marriages at Hornsea - the full details of earlier marriages appear at Owstwick - I've been through their registers

The Pinders, Dickenson, Collinson - all Quakers. No Cockin witness's in early registers, have yet to check post 1800.

The Hords also appear as relations and witnesses and their own marriages. An earlier marriage of a John HIRD could possibly be the same family ( married a Peternell Richardson c1690)

Also from Selby 'Faucett' also appear as Quakers in the Selby registers and as witnesses elsewhere.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: Saturday 15 July 17 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks Claire, don't worry.

Think I have a Quaker Jeremiah Hord at Owstwick, image already downloaded, from another Meeting. 
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756955.msg6175607#msg6175607

One of the Witnesses Mordecai CASSON

Are Thorne Birth record images complete circa 1785 to 1787? Was the single Eliza Hord at Thorne? Related to Jonathan Backhouse the Banker and Dearman, along with the Procters?

Regards Mark