Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 158864 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #711 on: Thursday 27 July 17 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

George Hood, applied in 1836 to be a Quaker and despite Samuel Tuke and Thomas Allis visiting George and "believing him to be a conscientious man and to a considerable degree convinced of" ... the Quaker "principles and practices" ... "we doubt whether the time is arrived for granting his request in regard to admission into membership."

There was no later application in the York Quaker Meeting Index

So this most likely explains the Quaker burial of George Hood as "Not in Membership".

--------

Jane Hood (late Casson) was almost disowned, but managed to get special treatment, when she married William Hood of Selby a non-believer. Two of the excuses were that she married in a Registry Office and William Hood understood some of the principles of the Quaker beliefs.

It seemed Jane Hood was about the only Quaker to escape disownment for marrying outside their Meeting, the Quakers after several meetings to discuss, kept deferring, then they say regarding the ... "Case of Jane Hood ... we do not feel called upon to take further action."

--------

Then came an interesting letter from the Secretary of State, Whitehall, London, that despite the Selby Quaker Burial Ground being recently closed to all burials, the Secretary of State has given his authority to the Quaker Registrars at York that there is to be one exception and ordered that Jane Hood can be buried in the Selby Quaker Burial Ground.

--------

Seems that Jane Hood (nee Casson) is getting some preferential treatment!

--------

I'm afraid that despite having another (new) Pte Hood and initials (in Bedfordshire) from Richard and a separate line, the first attempt traces back to an 1803 Hood birth in Staffordshire, which appears to be missing in the village church records.

EDIT: Claire is trying another name, I have suggested for Pte Hood.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: Friday 28 July 17 11:02 BST (UK) »
The other disappointing observation, was that the applications of George Hood's and several others to be admitted Members of the Quakers, were missing in another file, so I couldn't see what my ancestor said to them in his membership request.

--------

The Selby Meeting seemed to be one of a satellite group of Meetings, under one of the York Monthly Meetings.

The Meetings with Selby and associated Leaders around this 1836 period were:-
YORK - Thomas Allis; Rob't Jackson; H. Richardson; Samuel Tuke; David Priestman; John Walker; William Williamson; Jos King.

SELBY - Jno Hutchinson; William Burtt; William Procter.

COTTINGWITH - Simeon Webster; Simeon Webster jun'r; William Webster; James Wake.

THORNTON - Geo Cartwright; Rob't Leef.

HUBY - John Parkinson; Thomas Peirson; Thomas Pearson (1846).

THIRSK - Thomas Smith; John Baker.

--------

Some Other Burials in the Selby Quaker Burial Ground

Sarah Procter Evans, Widow, aged 55 years 11th 7Mo 1841

Elizabeth Marshall, Wife of Thomas Marshall, aged 56 years, 20th 6Mo 1842. Death was registered at Leamington, Warwickshire.

Elizabeth Richardson, Wife of Thomas, aged 38 years, 7th 5Mo 1856 NOT IN MEMBERSHIP.

Martha Camm, Wife of Thomas Camm, 45 years NOT IN MEMBERSHIP.

Mary Ann Hood of Selby, Daughter of Wm Hood of Selby and Jane his Wife, aged 2 weeks, 5th 8Mo 1859 NOT IN MEMBERSHIP, Grave Maker John Green.

This is interesting as it shows infant Mary Ann Hood of Selby did not have Quaker Birthright from her Father, suggesting William Hood was not a Quaker in 1859.

Judith Richardson, Junior, Daughter of William Fitten Richardson & Elizabeth his Wife, aged one day, 18th 9Mo 1860 NOT IN MEMBERSHIP.

Peter Richardson, Junior of Selby, Son of William Fitten Richardson and Elizabeth, aged 1 day 18th 9Mo 1860 NOT IN MEMBERSHIP.

Sarah Hodgson of Selby, Wife of Wm Hodgson of Selby, aged 54 years, 23rd 12Mo 1861.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: Friday 28 July 17 12:22 BST (UK) »
It seems the theory George Hood of Selby Anglican marriage was originally born a Quaker seems to be falling apart

One last check one could do ! is check Quaker records to see if George Hood first applied to be married as a Quaker, 1812 to 1815 and later got disowned by the Quakers for marrying in a Anglican church 1815 Selby
----------

If not! ~ then I would put all attention back on Gateshead George Hood bapt 1786.

More research needed on the other John Hood the publican at the ship Gateshead possible journeyman fill in publican = reasons -Brewery trade & only one child baptism of a John Hood father in Gateshead.1786 +/- 10 years (Not the John Hood mariner who married Eliz Gibson 1779 Newcastle/Tyne)

George Hood of Selby married 1815 say brought up around business of the brewing trade and maturing beer/spirits in barrels under a storage keeper cooper/brewer/seller (trader) of

(Quakers records describe George Hood (the Brewer) as a conscientious man) George's trade is overwhelming - high skill had to be learned or brought up around the trade (not mariner)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: Sunday 30 July 17 14:53 BST (UK) »
Snip taken from 1851 Staffordshire census (Stretton) .... what is this placename ? Supposed to be in Staffordshire.

In the 1841 census for Stretton, Staffordshire this John Hood says he was not born in county.

Flummoxed ???

EDIT: After looking at the history and manors of Penkridge, think it's rather a crude spelling of CONGREVE, a case of it being written as the enumerator heard it. I think.
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: Sunday 30 July 17 20:13 BST (UK) »
 CONGREVE seems most likely being Stretton village, and Stretton Hall are near
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: Monday 31 July 17 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

It is Congriff.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: Monday 31 July 17 10:49 BST (UK) »
Derbyshire is also worth investigating. Joseph Hood (bn 1812 Stretton) married Ann Fone at St Peters Derby 25 December 1835, both single and OTP.

Note- his father is not born in county in the 1841 census. I had wondered if he was born in Derbyshire. There is a baptism c1775 in Derby.

There is also a Stretton somewhere in Derbyshire. :-\

EDIT: where is Congriff - I've never heard of it  ::)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: Monday 31 July 17 18:46 BST (UK) »
CONGREVE seems most likely being Stretton village, and Stretton Hall are near

Scrap my comment re Hasland.

The surname Congriff is an alias of Congreve (per TNA).

In the 1881 Census an Elizabeth Lloyd, age 38, birth about 1843 Congriff, Staffordshire, per Family search, perhaps worth checking the image to see if her birthplace says Congriff and if so, check her birthplace, with her family another Census year?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27K-1PXD

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: Monday 31 July 17 19:09 BST (UK) »

Image is definitely Congriff in 1881

1861 With parents 'surname' Moorcroft, born Penkridge.

1871 - born Whiston, Staffs.

1891 she is a widow born Pranbridge - which I'm presuming is Penkridge

1901 she is born Beacon Hill, Staffordshire - now living in Featherstone Yorks.

1911 born Penkridge