Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 156979 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #738 on: Thursday 17 August 17 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

I can see Grove of Camberwell, were always called Curtis by the Hoods.

The oil painting of Burns, might be the "framed Oil Painting of A Lady" mentioned elsewhere.

There is more information about Jane Simpson, Cousin of Jane Casson Hood.
W. B. Richmond was not a place, but the artist.

One item which I am not going to name, was adorned with two Lions Heads Gardant (alias Guardant).

The family seems to have and/or collected nice furniture, oil paintings, historical books, china, shares, but nothing listed in sufficient detail, to identify my roots.

One Will has a book list.

EDIT:
There is another Book title, which is currently showing no Google or British Library returns.

The British Library says the nearest book title relates to the Stapleton Family of Yorkshire and of Carlton and Carlton Towers, but no mention found yet of Hood, Cook or Pearson, in the book index.

Google also gives the book about the Stapleton family, but when the book name is placed in commas, with Hood outside of the commas, Google gives the following (see attachment), but the title is different and called the Gentleman's Magazine of 1806.

Surely, I can't be related to these Hoods, unless they have a Yorkshire connection?

I don't feel I'm much further forward, except even more proof, that my line is 100% correct back to George Hood, who married Selby in 1815.

Mark

Added: WILLIAM HOOD of Heslington, Yorkshire family 1807 Will Abstract I have, does mention members of CARR and Hullah familes.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: Thursday 17 August 17 11:42 BST (UK) »
List of Books specifically mentioned:-

Autobiography of Archbishop Ullathorne,

Morrell's History of Selby, [I believe the History and Antiquities of Selby, 1867, is the same?]

Mountain's History of Selby, [I believe I have an 1800, download of this]

Chronicles of a Yorkshire Family, [Can't find this]

"The Oscotian" - a Literary Gazette of St. Mary's College Oscatt (Memoir of The Right Rev. W.B. Ullathorne Bishop of Birmingham) and

The Chronicles of An Ancient Yorkshire Family: The Ullathornes of Sleningford and some of their descendants 1450 to 1960 by Basil Leonard Kentish. [Oxford Bookseller; the £48 copy has been sold, should have two Genealogies in folder]

The Daughter, of William Hood baptised Selby 1816, married an Ullathorne.

Mark

EDIT: Chronicles of a Yorkshire Family
This is the only serious contender so far, inside cover attached ...

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: Friday 18 August 17 07:23 BST (UK) »
Earlier you talked of your only clues, Burns picture and others- I agree its worth pushing that line, yet you seem to skim the obvious, after pain staking find of George's burial you found he was not of the Quaker religion, another clue is to be an overseer of the parish George would have to have be Anglican faith involved in the Selby Abbey affairs and baptised C o E.

Available baptisms are 2) Gateshead (Dad John Hood) and Dorset (Mother Hope Hood)

Your local LDS family history library can order all records in the family search catalogue on their website (Cheaper and less time consuming than chasing doc's from archives of a far a way counties and of doc's of the right time period late 18h century)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: Friday 18 August 17 09:27 BST (UK) »
Earlier you talked of your only clues, Burns picture and others- I agree its worth pushing that line, yet you seem to skim the obvious, after pain staking find of George's burial you found he was not of the Quaker religion, another clue is to be an overseer of the parish George would have to have be Anglican faith involved in the Selby Abbey affairs and baptised C o E.

Available baptisms are 2) Gateshead (Dad John Hood) and Dorset (Mother Hope Hood)

Your local LDS family history library can order all records in the family search catalogue on their website (Cheaper and less time consuming than chasing doc's from archives of a far a way counties and of doc's of the right time period late 18h century)

Thanks dobfarm

I feel these are contenders, the John Hood of Gateshead Father (both with & without a connection to Gibson).

Unfortunately, I've not got any additional clue from the family Wills just received.

That citation leading us to a bit of a dead end in Staffordshire, I'm hoping to re-plan a trip to see the Rentals of Congreve.

Some people seemed to change their religion, like the weather.

There are also Yorkshire Catholic Hoods, one recorded in ...

The Catholic Registers of Holme-on-Spalding-Moor 1744-1840 Copied from the Catholic Record Miscellanea IV (1907)
At Beverley Archives, they only seemed to have the photocopy index to the record (the index was a book in itself) and I recorded ...
Index p.472
Hood John, 372.

The Catholic Archives Office for Yorkshire were dismissive and vague and don't appear to have any records, seemed to be their response.

I've since pressed the matter further with WYAS and Catholic Registers are being withheld due to privacy it seems, that go back 100s of years.

I am frustrated by the Roman Catholics withholding their Registers.

Kind regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: Friday 18 August 17 09:57 BST (UK) »
According to the WYAS response the Catholic Registers for Selby are being withheld.

Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: Friday 18 August 17 10:09 BST (UK) »
According to the WYAS response the Catholic Registers for Selby are also being withheld.

Registers for St Mary's RC & Carlton are held at Selby - you'll remember, last year I "stumbled" across the housekeeper and she let me have a look through them, births, burials and marriages
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: Friday 18 August 17 10:30 BST (UK) »
According to the WYAS response the Catholic Registers for Selby are also being withheld.

Registers for St Mary's RC & Carlton are held at Selby - you'll remember, last year I "stumbled" across the housekeeper and she let me have a look through them, births, burials and marriages

Hi Goughy

Yes, I mentioned that a Lady from Selby had managed to access 1780s Selby Catholic baptisms (outside of the time frame of those that were sent to the Registrar General in the late 1830s) and WYAS had to come clean with me, that Catholic Registers going back 100s of years, were being withheld under a privacy rule.

Kind regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: Friday 18 August 17 14:03 BST (UK) »
A Catholic born Overseer of the Anglican parish of Selby Abbey

That would be a first.

reply # 336

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=742806.msg6179222#msg6179222

I've had a gut feeling for some months, that George Hood was trying to hide a past (perhaps even one of privilege and/or illegitimacy) and consider the poor (being Elected Overseer of the Poor in 1838), as well as local business people.

Regards Mark

--------------

Documents are housed in: The Scriptorium of the Abbey, two safes in
the Vestry and a safe in the Vicarage

https://www.york.ac.uk/media/borthwick/documents/catalogues/pr/s-parishes/Selby%20Abbey%20updated.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Commission_on_Historical_Manuscripts
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: Saturday 19 August 17 09:57 BST (UK) »
Good Morning

Thank you dobfarm.

I have edited my recent posts, as it is not the fault of individual Catholics, but their hierarchy / decision makers for withholding Catholic Registers.

Yorkshire HOOD Catholics
I have only managed to buy so far, a transcribed part of the Papist Returns which cover North Yorkshire.

This and other information gleaned from printed sources, indicates three HOOD groups found so far in Yorkshire who were identified as Catholics in the Survey, held just after the mid 18th Century (which names them).

--------

Martha Hirlew, Visitor, 1871 Selby Census

This Martha Hirlew is a Visitor to Sarah Hood (nee Richardson), but I have only found a possible Hurlow a Quaker, but a bit early, but wondered please if there might be some Hood link to her family previously?

Newspapers have few Hirlews in England and the others are in Irish newspapers.

RG 10 (1871)
Sarah HOOD, Head, W, 51, Born Selby.
Martha HIRLEW, Visitor, W, 78, No Occupation, Born Selby.

The only Martha Hirlew found so far is a Martha Hurlow, Yorkshire, in RG 6 [Quaker]

Uriah Hurlow Birth Yorkshire 13 August 1810
Parents John Hurlow and Martha Hurlow

Mark