Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 156399 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #882 on: Thursday 16 November 17 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning

In David Akers Assignment of Sutton Grange, in the Parish of Ripon, County of York dated Ripon 18th June 1823, one of the individuals he assigned his property to was ...
GEORGE HOOD of Boroughbridge, in the said County, Coal-Merchant ...

This George Hood of Boroughbridge, Coal Merchant, looks to be George Hood, Innkeeper ...

BOROUGHBRIDGE.- TO BE SOLD BY
AUCTION, (in Consequence of the Death of Mr.
Robert Brown, Coal Merchant,) at the House of Mr. George
Hood, the Grantham Arms, in Boroughbridge, on Saturday,
the 13th of October, 1827, at Four o'Clock in the Afternoon,
in Seven Lots, SIX WELL-BUILT KEELS, and ONE
LIGHTER, most of them nearly New, and all in excellent
Condition, the Property of the late Firm of Hood and Brown.
The Buyers will be required to pay a Deposit of One-fifth
of the Purchase Money on the Conclusion of the Sale, and
may have Six Months Credit, on approved Security, for the
Remainder.
It is particularly requested that all Debts owing to the
said Firm, may be paid without Delay, to Mr. George Hood,
the surviving Partner.

In the Will of George Hood, September 1835, Kirby Hill, who was George Hood the Elder of Milby in the County of York Innkeeper, he mentions a Lighter and a Debt of £150 due and owing to me from James Atkinson of Rockcliffe together with all Interest due.

The Debt owing to George Hood, Snr., is being left to the Son also called George Hood.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Some of my HOOD family were Protestants, or possibly Jewish.

I have been emailed a photograph of an 1896 Hood grave (Wife of George Hood born Selby 1847) and also got an Imperial War Graves Commission (IWGC now CWGC) of one of my HOODs 1917 headstone inscription wording.

Both have different inscriptions in English and then the lone word MIZPAH beneath.

One internet source, after referring to the use of Mizpah from the mid 1870s onward says ... Mizpah monograms were applied to Protestant prayer books and gravestones.

The word Mizpah is Hebrew and simply means a 'lookout' or a 'watchtower'. It comes from the verb tz-f-h or tzofeh ... .

A second internet source also links Mizpah to the Protestant tradition.

The more grandiose translation of Mizpah derived from the story in Genesis seems to exist only in the Protestant tradition. Catholics don't have it, and Jews have not used the word mitzpah as a symbol of anything, or as a short form of the phrase “may God watch over you while we are apart.” There is no Jewish mitzpah jewelry using the Hebrew script, at least none I have ever seen. Note, too, that the Jewish liturgy does contain a “traveler’s prayer,” called t’filat ha-derekh in Hebrew, which asks God’s protection whilst one is one the road, separated from friends and loved ones. The prayer’s main part consists of slightly over a hundred words, not a single one of which is any form of the verb tz-f-h.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 09:22 GMT (UK) »
J. S. Hood (with "Mizpah", a Hebrew word on the last line of his WW 1 grave inscription) was baptised in Belgrave, Leicestershire, so I'm getting a right load of mixed signals!

Seems my Hoods were blowing hot and cold between C of E and other Faiths, like the changes in the weather.

Royalty, Quakers, Jews and Marriages solemnized beyond the Seas were exempted from Hardwicke's Marriage Act of 1753 from marrying in a Parish Church. The Act did not apply in Scotland.

There are claims on the internet that although Quakers and Jews were quite separate, that there was some past friendship between them?

They had both fought for some religious freedoms in England. The Quakers endured persecution or were imprisoned and this is documented in old online publications, quite some time before 1753. The Jewish Relief is mentioned in the time of Cromwell.

I vaguely recall my Grandmother speaking of the significance of the Seven Candlestick holder and my Mum's Father saying it was Jewish. But I was too wee and only overhearing the family discussion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menorah_(Temple)

-----------

I'm wondering if this is why the 1815 Marriage Allegation was changed and that George Hood was not exempt and had to marry in the Parish Church.

-----------

Added
Edith Hood, who possibly chose the word Mizpah had won a Teaching Prize in her Diocesan Area, so she might have had some knowledge of Hebrew and chose it, because it simply meant something to her personally.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning

In David Akers Assignment of Sutton Grange, in the Parish of Ripon, County of York dated Ripon 18th June 1823, one of the individuals he assigned his property to was ...
GEORGE HOOD of Boroughbridge, in the said County, Coal-Merchant ...

This George Hood of Boroughbridge, Coal Merchant, looks to be George Hood, Innkeeper ...

BOROUGHBRIDGE.- TO BE SOLD BY
AUCTION, (in Consequence of the Death of Mr.
Robert Brown, Coal Merchant,) at the House of Mr. George
Hood, the Grantham Arms, in Boroughbridge, on Saturday,
the 13th of October, 1827, at Four o'Clock in the Afternoon,
in Seven Lots, SIX WELL-BUILT KEELS, and ONE
LIGHTER, most of them nearly New, and all in excellent
Condition, the Property of the late Firm of Hood and Brown.
The Buyers will be required to pay a Deposit of One-fifth
of the Purchase Money on the Conclusion of the Sale, and
may have Six Months Credit, on approved Security, for the
Remainder.
It is particularly requested that all Debts owing to the
said Firm, may be paid without Delay, to Mr. George Hood,
the surviving Partner.

In the Will of George Hood, September 1835, Kirby Hill, who was George Hood the Elder of Milby in the County of York Innkeeper, he mentions a Lighter and a Debt of £150 due and owing to me from James Atkinson of Rockcliffe together with all Interest due.

The Debt owing to George Hood, Snr., is being left to the Son also called George Hood.

Deleted
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 16:23 GMT (UK) »
I have also established that James Duncanson (      - 1674) was ejected from Chatton, Northumberland and he had a Licence as a Presbyterian for a Meeting in his own house at Selby dated 29th May 1672.

The Selby Presbyterian Birth records are missing from 1672 to 1796 and two other sets of Selby records are missing covering George Hood's Birth window.

The earliest surviving Selby Presbyterian Birth records (found to date) beginning 1797, also say Baptists were meeting with the Presbyterians at Selby.

My Grandfather HOOD was later a Baptist (1939) and had married my Grandmother earlier at a Methodist Chapel.

The two Sculcoates, M.I. books came today, no Hood at all, Richardson, Gibson, Cook, Pearson, Turner, Spencer - none recognised as related.

Looking like we'll have to see what we can find in the Dr Williams Library.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 18:22 GMT (UK) »

... the 1945 letter written by J. W. Chapman of Doncaster and Scarborough deals mainly with James Hood's children, then on page 2 refers to a mystery WINIFRED HOOD who did not marry.

Page 2 "I understand there was also a daughter Winifred Hood who did not marry, and the last I heard of her was that she was residing in Harrogate, but my informant does not know her address."

Hi

I stumbled across this and sites are linking this William Henry Hood (killed 24 August 1915), aged 40 to

"A" Coy. 1st Bn. West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own)
Husband of Hannah Hood, of 9, Cambridge Place, Harrogate, Yorks. Native of Wetherby, Yorks.

http://wetherbywarmemorial.com/id42.html
William Henry Hood was born in 1874 at Goole to parents Samuel, occupation, a Master Coach Builder, and Mary Hood. (Authors note: The 1881 Census records his father as Samuel, the baptism record of Ethel, one Charles Samuel. To confuse matters further, his name upon his death is recorded as one Charles Vincent).

The reference to Vincent, suggests a link to the Vincent Hood family of Drax, near Selby, who originated Ditchingham, Norfolk.

I wonder if there is a Winifred Hood linked to this lot please?

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: Thursday 23 November 17 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark

Can't see a Winifred in the census and father Samuel was dead by 1891 at which time the family were in Wetherby.

Father Samuel and mother Mary Anne nee Bollands were both born in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk.

Claire

EDIT: Cannot find a marriage for the couple in Norfolk - although I have seen her baptism in 1848 - father Charles Bolland(s). Have found this marriage though and it all fits bar his name  ???
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: Thursday 23 November 17 02:09 GMT (UK) »
I have also established that James Duncanson (      - 1674) was ejected from Chatton, Northumberland and he had a Licence as a Presbyterian for a Meeting in his own house at Selby dated 29th May 1672.

The Selby Presbyterian Birth records are missing from 1672 to 1796 and two other sets of Selby records are missing covering George Hood's Birth window.

The earliest surviving Selby Presbyterian Birth records (found to date) beginning 1797, also say Baptists were meeting with the Presbyterians at Selby.

My Grandfather HOOD was later a Baptist (1939) and had married my Grandmother earlier at a Methodist Chapel.

The two Sculcoates, M.I. books came today, no Hood at all, Richardson, Gibson, Cook, Pearson, Turner, Spencer - none recognised as related.

Looking like we'll have to see what we can find in the Dr Williams Library.

Mark

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2494015

((Separate issues or not ? Why before 1807 -or what is the significance of 1807 ???- then state post 1807 being 1836 [doesn't make sense]-or a mistake -should be prior 1707 or prior 1907))

RG 4/3178 1797-1836 
Selby, Yorkshire, Denomination: Presbyterian prior to 1807: Births and Baptisms (1797-1836); Selby, Yorkshire, Denomination: Presbyterian prior to 1807: Deaths (1836).

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=__5bAAAAQAAJ&pg=RA1-PA70&dq=Selby+Presbyterian&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjVmser29PXAhUlJ8AKHf9uDC0Q6AEIKzAB#v=onepage&q=Selby%20Presbyterian&f=false

Prior 1707
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: Thursday 23 November 17 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Claire & dobfarm

The Commissioners in 1836/7 established to collect the Non-parochial Registers for the Registrar General (your Google Books link - dobfarm) were aware that the Selby Presbyterian Chapel was established before, or by 1707, because There is a Silver cup for the Communion Service which is dated 1707 was the gift of one Mrs Bacon to the Chapel the Edifice is without [?] Minister

In the 1837 Questionaire (at the rear) signed by Thos Smith, Mixenden Near Halifax, Yorkshire, it implies that the Selby Presbyterian congregation is at present without a Minister and "I was Minister of the Presbyterian Chapel in Selby 1796 to 1833, when I resigned."

Henry Spear had kept the Selby Presbyterian Register since 1833.

Selby Presbyterian Trustees:-
Thos Walker Esq., Magistrate near Leeds and
Wm Read Esq., Methley near Ferrybridge.

Mr Henry Spear is an Active Member.

Smith goes on to say that there was likely another Selby Presbyterian Register, but he doesn't have it.

----------

Just spotted something in the Selby Parish Register transcriptions ...

26 Feb 1809
Richard BATHWICK or BORTHWICK Marriage To Ann WARD
Richard of Howden Parish: Sadler
Ann of this
By Licence
Richard aged 26
Ann aged 23
Wits: Amelia TATE and Wm HOOD

Mark