Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 156404 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #945 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Archbishop Thomson's Return of 1865. In the entry for Selby, the return estimates that three fifths of the religiously disposed were Dissenters of one form or another ...

By 1865 about 60% were estimated to be Dissenters at Selby.

That is bad news for the family historian, because many Dissenting Birth / Baptism Registers don't start until circa 1800 to 1820, but some of the original Dissenting Chapels and Meetings are older for those places.

I've got some records I want to come and see, so I'm hoping they'll confirm the origin of my ancestor!

Thank you, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: Thursday 21 December 17 04:04 GMT (UK) »
Sarah's mother Sarah Hood Pearson maybe worth a look at or research her. ?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: Thursday 21 December 17 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Sarah's mother Sarah Hood Pearson maybe worth a look at or research her. ?

EDIT: The Hoods at:-
Bardon Park, Leicestershire (had their own Chapel. Got their Tree, but not all their Tree relations might be listed) and
Hoods of Atherstone [North] Warwickshire were Clockmakers and Independents (N.C.)

Hello dobfarm

Thank you very much, Sarah Daughter of Sarah Hood PEARSON of Atherstone, Warwickshire, (bapt. 1861) definitely worth me having a look at.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: Friday 22 December 17 12:00 GMT (UK) »
For the purpose of elimination here's some surnames from Sarah's parentage (including step father Wilkinson)

Arundel - Grandparents:            George ARUNDEL and Hannah EYRE
               Grt grandparents:      Joseph EYRE and Hannah PYGOT
                                               Mathew ARUNDEL and Ann JACKSON

Wilkinson   "step" grandparents  Edward WILKINSON and Margaret TWIST
                    "gt  grandparents  John TWIST and Rebecca CRABTREE
                                                William WILKINSON and Jane ??

and just to put James' parentage here for future reference (obviously only from the Russell side)

Russell     Grandparents            William RUSSELL and Mary BURTON
               Gt grandparents         John RUSSELL and Martha HOTCHSON
                                              Edward BURTON and William SILVERWOOD

From Part 3 of the George Hood Burial where? ...  thread (now completed)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=742806.msg5964598#msg5964598

Quote from Goughy Reply #174 of 08 November 2015

Hi Mark

I thought it would be useful to just put down James and Sarah's  family for "tracking purposes"

Mary Ellen Hood b Selby 1853
Elizabeth Cook Hood b Selby 1854
Adeline Hood b Selby 1855
Sarah Hood b Selby 1856
John Wilkinson Hood b Selby 1858
William Russell Hood b Selby 1861
  [born 1860, registered 1861]
James Alfred Hood b Sunderland  1863
George Arundel Hood b 1865 Selby
Bernard Pearson Hood b 1870 Scarborough

In the 1871 Census, Mary Ellen Hood is staying with a Dobson family in Bowling, Bradford and is stated as "cousin".  The head of household is Thomas Duckworth Dobson b 1829 Wakefield  and his wife Mary Ann b 1833 London, Middlesex.  Thomas Duckworth Dobson married Mary Ann Bateman in 1855 in Selby.

END of QUOTE

Hello

In the Selby Wesleyan Register George Arundel was their "Society Steward".

I feel these unknown surnames mean something.

I'll try the Atherstone lot.

Need to see (c.1770 to c.1815) Manor of Selby records, (photos of the Manor of Selby Court Rolls from 1816 to c.1860s).

The holder of the Hood / Wren Lane Deeds, has read them, but they only list my George as George Hood of Selby which my copy Deed Memorial also says. There was no reference to a Mortgage.

Another option are the York, Cook(e) and Pearson Wills. Only a fraction of the Yorkshire Wills were scanned (the flat packed), by the pay per view site.

Looking at the surviving Pontefract Wesleyan Register (which covers Knottingley), one Birth / Baptism the parents were both listed, but apparently not married. Well the Parents had different surnames.

The Borthwick / Morrell Library don't have the book Notices of Wesleyan Methodism at Selby, written by Wm. Wilberforce Morrell, a Wesleyan Bank Manager married to a Quaker.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: Sunday 24 December 17 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Though there is a faint possibility George Hood birth /bapt 1786 +/- 2 years was in the missing Wesleyan registers in Selby, you seem to have exhausted the Quakers as his origins, also  C of E, Scottish George Anglican  bapts all around 1784 to 1788, you have virtually checked all known records in Yorkshire direct and indirect to Selby George.

-------------------------

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth"

Quote from ;- Sir: Arthur Conan Doyle
------------
which seems a classic case candidate here

Yet he still there - George Hood batized 1786 to father John Hood in Gateshead with this George having no records of an infant burial, under full age licence marriage or full adult age marriage or adult burial.

Food for thought  :(

Merry Xmas All. :) :D :D :D

Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: Friday 05 January 18 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks dobfarm.

Think I have worked out the link to JACKSON (via Russell side). Thos Gouldsbrough of Selby (Shipyard) and his Father John Goldsbrough of Knottingley, Sailmaker, Will Proved 1809.

Also comments on page here ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=744970.msg6012158#msg6012158

Find A Grave for John Gouldsbrough says ...
Death: Feb. 6, 1809. Husband of Jane died aged 75. Burial: St Botolph Churchyard Knottingley (not checked Register).

Quote from Curious Fox (online)
I am looking for any information on a JOHN GOLDSBOROUGH his wife JANE nee JACKSON and their family. John was married to Jane JACKSON on 23 June 1760ih Knottingley. ...

Been searching newspapers "Knotting" 1812 to 1814 and the "BETSY" was launched at Knottingley 1[3?]th November 1813 (In the 1814 Bankruptcy Notice of Richard Milbourn).

Obviously a Shipyard at Knottingley too.

There is a Notice printed 21st March 1812 (with reference to an Assignment) Wm Jackson of Knottingley Bankrupt / H. Towns of Pontefract, Solicitor for the Assignees. I will see what I can dig up.

Mark

Thanks Goughy and Claire

Incidentally if you find John Wilkinson in the 1841 Selby Census at the Ship Yard, you'll also find some other Wilkinsons, Batemans (a Mary Bateman ONLY 8 years old and described as being of IND[EPENDENT] means) and George Gouldsbrough, a Sailmaker all at the Ship Yard, Selby, adjacent on same 1841 Census page.

The Will of Thomas Gouldsbrough (died 1840) who was married to Mary Russell, Will extracts recently put on Rootschat indicated he also owned property and a Crane at the Ship Yard, Selby and also Dwellings at Knottingley. (John Goldsbrough, Sailmaker of Knottingley, 1809 Abstract of Will, refers to a Thos Goldsbrough £50, James Goldsbrough, Son of Knottingley the real estate at Knottingley and also others named).

Regarding the 1817 George Wilkinson burial, how long did George Wilkinson appear for as Proprietor, in the Knottingley Land Tax, after 1813?

Mark

For the purpose of elimination here's some surnames from Sarah's parentage (including step father Wilkinson)

Arundel - Grandparents:            George ARUNDEL and Hannah EYRE
               Grt grandparents:      Joseph EYRE and Hannah PYGOT
                                               Mathew ARUNDEL and Ann JACKSON

Wilkinson   "step" grandparents  Edward WILKINSON and Margaret TWIST
                    "gt  grandparents  John TWIST and Rebecca CRABTREE
                                                William WILKINSON and Jane ??

and just to put James' parentage here for future reference (obviously only from the Russell side)

Russell     Grandparents            William RUSSELL and Mary BURTON
               Gt grandparents         John RUSSELL and Martha HOTCHSON
                                              Edward BURTON and William SILVERWOOD

So......  the Cook and Pearson names are looking as though they are from GH's side of the family (unless they went totally off-piste!).

Naming children from grandparents, particularly female surnames,   etc is quite common and still goes on today.  Usually, the female  surnames point research "in the right" direction, but hey ho in the case of GH who  knows!!

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: Sunday 07 January 18 12:13 GMT (UK) »
So that possibly eliminates the Jackson's

Therefore, until you have proven as eliminated once and for all its not your George Hood of Selby, (or accepted) being George Hood baptism 1786 Gateshead son of John Hood with the same intense offline archive or online research, you have done in Yorkshire and other counties for George Hood residing Selby 1812 to death in 1845 - birth estimate 1785 to 1788 from various religious events - your theories on middle names being surnames could be unfounded or complete waste of time or least work on both theories.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: Sunday 07 January 18 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Thanks dobfarm, I am continuing to consider both and any NEW evidence. Unfortunately the current evidence discussed at great length already, doesn't confirm which.

Very brief summary:-

a) that "George Hood of Selby" Marriage by Bond and Licence (Apparently resident so George could have married by Banns, or Banns read where he was living, suggesting Selby Parish Church was not his scene) and a Whitley man was prepared to go £200 surety, so Chester Newby knew George Hood very well and apparently have Cockin links too by Marriage). Also "both of that place" 1815 Marriage newspaper notice, that George may have no surviving birth/baptism record and might be the Son of John Hood of Selby, Mariner (formerly of Scarborough), who may have had George baptised at the place of birth, or may no longer be a C of E attender.
Newspaper entry attached here ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=777844.msg6316608#msg6316608

I have even got ten more Probates (post 1858) from gov.uk of my known Hood family lines, including those who died Scarborough, but none give away an unknown Hood, but only cement what is already known.

b) that against the 1841 Selby Census entry, saying George Hood, Brewer, born Yorkshire, that the 1841 Selby Census entry may be wrong and that George Hood was born out of County (or out of country even).

This includes another possibility that "George Hood of Selby", who took over Richard Gibson's Cooper business, might be related to Richard Gibson (who originated from Newcastle upon Tyne) and George might the Son from another John Hood (as John Hood signatures don't match) and Elis Gibson / Elizabeth Gibson Marriage, Newcastle upon Tyne.

Richard Gibsons, parentage
Claire, suggests that I need to find the actual Richard Gibson, Birth Register entry. Only the B.T.s are online and those B.T.s covering Richard Gibson birth year are missing. Now if a Newcastle area Register showed Richard Gibson's Mother was nee Pearson (all spellings) or Cook, that would begin to tip the balance.

Comment
Both John Hoods (Selby and Newcastle) are both credible, but neither are proved yet. I have both related sets of documents downloaded and Maudland Hood's Scarborough Baptism, from Beverley Archives.

I have written to Hong Kong University Special Collections, who have the Will in 'Deacons Archives' of Thomas Hood Bentley, believed to descend from John Hood & Elizabeth Gibson (not proven yet to link to my Hoods), their Daughter Elizabeth Hood, who married William Cook.

-----------

I have found more references to my Hoods in the newspapers, but they only link to people I have already identified as my Hoods.

In the Matter of Proceedings for Liquidation by Arrange-ment or Composition with Creditors, instituted by. Christopher Gibson Westley, of No. 24, Victoria-street, in the town of Northampton, Saddler and Harness ...

By 1892 it is all in the newspaper how he borrowed a sum of money from his Sister C. Hood of Kettering, that the Solicitor (not related) was running his own swindle (outside and separate of the Liquidation process) and this C. Hood should be my two times Gt. Grandmother Cecilia.

-----------

Richard Taylor sent me information confirming the Mary Ellen Hood = Arthur Chapman, Marriage was at the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Selby in 1873.

My Grandfather was a Baptist, who married my Grandmother at a Wesleylan Methodist Chapel, one in my line was a C of E Minister. It seems all my Hoods were very mixed religiously.

There is a very strong possibility that my George Hood buried by the Quakers as "Not in Membership" was not C of E and George Hood nonconformist (earlier Selby dissenters records are missing for 1785-7), or his Father (who may be unknown) might be NC.

Forty Hood Wills (York, not online) seen, plus Newcastle Hood Wills, but only one Will links a George Hood (of Barnard Castle) to another Hood. No Wills link to one of the two credible John Hoods.

Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: Sunday 07 January 18 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Richard Gibsons, parentage
Claire, suggests that I need to find the actual Richard Gibson, Birth Register entry. Only the B.T.s are online and those B.T.s covering Richard Gibson birth year are missing. Now if a Newcastle area Register showed Richard Gibson's Mother was nee Pearson (all spellings) or Cook, that would begin to tip the balance.

Happy New Year All

I know I've not been greatly active for a while, although still following and chipping-in occasionally, from the Selby Dade Register of the baptism of Richard Gibson's children, Richard's mother was ELIZABETH BROWN - or have I missed something in one of the posts....
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)