Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 156974 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #954 on: Sunday 07 January 18 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Quote: Mark
~~~~
b) that against the 1841 Selby Census entry, saying George Hood, Brewer, born Yorkshire, that the 1841 Selby Census entry may be wrong and that George Hood was born out of County (or out of country even).

This includes another possibility that "George Hood of Selby", who took over Richard Gibson's Cooper business, might be related to Richard Gibson (who originated from Newcastle upon Tyne) and George might the Son from another John Hood (as John Hood signatures don't match) and Elis Gibson / Elizabeth Gibson Marriage, Newcastle upon Tyne.

Unquote:

~~~~~

What we know, is George Hood father John Hood 1786 Gateshead Parish baptism - There is only one baptism 5 +/- years or  before and after 1786 by John Hood in Gatesshead. (Possible dad John Hood publican in Gateshead Ship Inn.) This John could have been journeyman stand in Publican. Brewing and Publican as associated to one trade Booze - or - cooper - keeper of wines or beer casks while maturing.

Records of this nature are the ones to investigate.

While other publicans and innkeepers in trade directories are consistent in Gateshead over many a year, this John Hood publican of the Ship Inn Gateshead appeared once in directories that fits with one baptism entry. Thus suggests this John Hood publican was on the move over in the short term in years.

My Great granddad was a Publican in Beal (Beaghall) village near Knottingley, Yorkshire, he came from being an innkeeper in Peakirk Northamptonshire, also born there, and married in Knottingley, later they moved to a pub at Bramley Leeds, then finally rooted down in the New Inn pub. Huddersfield.

Thus could above John Hood publican have done similar.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: Sunday 07 January 18 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

We now know the Selby Baptism Registers of Presbyterian, Wesleyan Methodist and any Independents are missing for 1785 -1787.

John Hood of Selby is a Tenant of John Turner and the same John Turner of Selby has Presbyterian Chapel links 1781.

A big question for me is George Hood's Bondsman - Chester Newby, baptised Whitley / Kellington 1790 who was prepared to go £200 Surety, when George Hood could simply have given a week's notice and then had the Banns read in the Parish Church, three Sundays in a row. Because of the two months gap they were not marrying in a hurry either.

Excepting Royalty, Quakers and Jews, the Law required everyone else to marry in the Parish Church, so NC were forced to at least marry in the Parish Church.

a) was it because George Hood was a local Nonconformist (and being local also knew Chester Newby of Selby, Miller very well) and Hood's views were so staunch that he refused to have the Banns read in Selby Church, thereby keeping his contact with the Church to a bare minimum, regarding the wedding?

b) or was it the Newby - Golton link and the Richard Golten (Witness) at Richard Gibson's wedding, suggesting a link to Richard Gibson, that reassured Chester Newby, he was okay to make a Bond of £200 surety?

Just thought, I wonder if Richard Golten / Golton, Will, might make a link?

Mark

Hi

Cockins of Luddington Lincs, have been touched on before by Jomot, but maybe worth a second look.

In trying to find something about the Thomas C in your post I came across this marriage by Licence.

Thomas Cockin (aged 24 and of Luddington, Lincs.) and Margrit CHESTER (18 a minor of Hatfield) married at Hatfield 17 Aug. 1796

Both signed
Witnesses: Mary Hutton, Thomas Chester and Robt. Cockin

Wonder if there is a family link with Chester Newby's mother Hannah Newby nee Chester ?

If the burial of Hannah I've found is the correct one in 1839, her entry in the Death Duty register reads Hannah NUBY of Carlton, Snaith Yorks. .... Wm Mitton, Stamford Lincoln.

William Mitton bn Snaith 1789 son of Henry & Mary Mitton nee Eadon.

When Richard Gibson married Eleanor Wainwright in 1792 one of the witnesses was a RICHARD GOLTON a tailor ( son of a Richard Golton of Wistow).  Richard Golton (the witness) had a son Richard in 1779 who married an Elizabeth Perkin ( father Thomas Perkin of Berwick) c1803.

In 1812 Richard GOULTON bn 1779 was buried in Selby , a ELIZABETH GOLTON a widow married CHESTER NEWBY 1814

claire

Other QUOTES

On George Hood's 1815 Marriage Bond, it was signed by:-
George Hood and Chester Newby of Selby, a miller.

Earlier reply #160 from Goughy 26 October 2015
Chester Newby
Born in Whitley Bridge 1790 Parents Thomas and Hannah Newby (nee Chester)
Married Elizabeth Goulton 30 Jan 1814  (Chester of Snaith Parish - Elizabeth Selby Parish
Re-married 1841 in Rawcliffe, Goole to Mary Ann Pease - residence at time of marriage Barlow
1841 Census residence  Barlow
1851 Census visitor Barlow
Died 25 Sept 1859 Selby District
Probate Calendar describes him as Gentleman of Snaith

Goughy

END OF QUOTES

Hannah Newby, Death Certificate (alias Hannah Nuby in Probate Register)

Registration District SELBY
1839 Death in the Sub-district of Snaith in the County of York
Fourteenth of April 1839 At Carlton
HANNAH NEWBY
Female
Age 77
Widow of Thomas Newby Farmer
Age & Debility
Informant The Mark of X HANNAH PRECIOUS Carlton Present at the Death
Registered Seventeenth of April 1839
Thomas Perkins Registrar

Confirms Widow of Thomas Newby, Farmer, was Hannah Newby [nee Chester].

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: Friday 12 January 18 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Quoted from:- Reply #577 on: Saturday 28 October 17 (Richard Gibson ... thread)

... Its a very long shot, but thinking 1812 was George's first appearance in Selby, little known about him to 1815 when he married Sarah Russel with Witness James Cockin and seems the earliest surname to be linked to George ...

End of Quote

Chester Newby was George Hood's 1815 Marriage Bondsman.

I am looking for COOK (due to Elizabeth Cook Hood). This use of surnames, is a big thing on the Memorial Inscriptions in SW Scotland, Memorialising the Wife with her Maiden surname and stating "Wife of the Above", to denote ancestry.

Chester Newby, Miller, of Selby, was baptised Whitley / Kellington.

CHESTER and COCKIN surnames are linked (Marriage at Hatfield 1796).

There is a COOKE Witness on the 1830 COCKIN & Robinson (Marriage at Hatfield 1830).

My theory is that somewhere there is a COOK(e) link to COCKIN.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: Sunday 14 January 18 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Mrs Maudlin( nee Hood) Turner wife of Charles Turner. Selby
----------------------------------------------------------------

Righard Gibson's wife was Elianor Wainwright marr 1792 Selby

Burial
Mary Turner Wainwright   
 Maiden Name     Turner   
 Burial     1832   
    Monk Fryston, Selby District, North Yorkshire, England   

Death Date     08 Mar 1832   

Cemetery     St Wilfrid Churchyard, Monkfryston

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/104187229

-----------------------------

Puzzle: The change over  R Gibson to G Hood Cooper Wren Lane Selby, no records of bankruptcy sale (auction) of tools - stock in trade transfer too or bought by G Hood 1810 to 1812 ~ Why ?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: Sunday 14 January 18 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Mrs Maudlin( nee Hood) Turner wife of Charles Turner. Selby

Righard Gibson's wife was Elianor Wainwright marr 1792 Selby

Burial
Mary Turner Wainwright   
 Maiden Name     Turner   
 Burial     1832   
    Monk Fryston, Selby District, North Yorkshire, England   

Death Date     08 Mar 1832   

Cemetery     St Wilfrid Churchyard, Monkfryston

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/104187229

-----------------------------

Puzzle: The change over  R Gibson to G Hood Cooper Wren Lane Selby, no records of bankruptcy sale (auction) of tools - stock in trade transfer too or bought by G Hood 1810 to 1812 ~ Why ?

Eleanor Wainwright was a widow when she married Richard Gibson.  She was Eleanor Colbert daughter of Leonard Colbert woodman of Selby  by Eleanor his wife dau of Mathew Lofthouse of Scarthingwell
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: Thursday 25 January 18 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Good Evening

I can't say very much (privacy rules), but one of my ancestor's set up an arrangement, to aid a well known Charity and a COOK Spinster with her address has been found.

We knew absolutely nothing about this!

Once I have worked back a generation (over 100 years), I'll be okay.

----------

In an (unrelated to above) Hood Probate (line from Wm Hood) some new names too, one linked to Wistow near Selby.

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: Thursday 25 January 18 23:40 GMT (UK) »
That's good news Mark, lets hope it yields results

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: Friday 26 January 18 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Regarding this COOK in my newly acquired HOOD document.

I've just got back to an:-

1851 Census, Kimberworth, Rotherham
Elizabeth Cooke, Head, Wid, 63, Mangle Keeper, born Greasbrough about 1788.
Thomas Cooke, Son, Un, 21, Coal Miner, born Bradgate, about 1830.
Olivia Cooke, Dau, Un, 19, Chair Woman, born Bradgate , Yorkshire, about 1832.
Ellis Cooke, Son, 17, Engine Fitter, born Bradgate, Yorkshire, about 1834.
Henry Cooke, Son, 15, Coal Miner, born Bradgate, about 1836.

1861 Census, Swinton
Ellis Cooke, Head, Marr, 27, Railway Engine Maker, born Kimberworth, about 1834.
Harriet Cooke, Wife, Marr, 26, Railway Engine Maker's Wife, born Kimberworth, about 1835.
Albert Cooke, Son, Un, 0, born Masbrough, about 1861.

ADDED
Claire tells me she has the following, with a PARKINSON witness too:-
Ellis Cook son of Henry Cook and Elizabeth Ellis. ( A Harriot Parkinson witnessed this marriage in 1827)

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: Friday 26 January 18 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

From the baptism register at Rotherham Minster it also states Ellis was born 27th January 1834 and his father Henry was a miner, their abode: Bradgate.

ELLISS Cook was buried at St Thomas Kimberworth 28 March 1882 aged 48.

A headstone transcription reads

" In memory of Ellis Cook of Rotherham who died 24 March 1882 aged 48 years, also of Elizabeth Cook mother of the above who died September 2 1877 aged 70 years. Also of Lucy eldest daughter of the above Ellis Cook who died February 19th 1859 aged 3 months, also  Elizabeth, third daughter of the above who died July 10th 1865 aged 14 months. Also George, second son of the above who died 17 December 1866 aged 7 weeks "In the midst of life we are in death."
Also Eleanor second daughter of the above who died February 1900 aged 37 years. Also Harriet, widow of the above Ellis Cook who died July 2nd 1918 aged 93 years. Albert Cook died January 12th 1904 at Jersey City USA aged 43 years.

Ellis Cook was quite a wealthy man when he died, a probate entry reveals his estate was worth around £13,000.

Claire

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk