Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 158741 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #963 on: Friday 26 January 18 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Thank you Claire, that M.I. is very detailed!

I have added more Census information from FS.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: Sunday 28 January 18 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Regarding this COOK in my newly acquired HOOD document.

I've just got back to an:-

1851 Census, Kimberworth, Rotherham
Elizabeth Cooke, Head, Wid, 63, Mangle Keeper, born Greasbrough about 1788.
Thomas Cooke, Son, Un, 21, Coal Miner, born Bradgate, about 1830.
Olivia Cooke, Dau, Un, 19, Chair Woman, born Bradgate , Yorkshire, about 1832.
Ellis Cooke, Son, 17, Engine Fitter, born Bradgate, Yorkshire, about 1834.
Henry Cooke, Son, 15, Coal Miner, born Bradgate, about 1836.

1861 Census, Swinton
Ellis Cooke, Head, Marr, 27, Railway Engine Maker, born Kimberworth, about 1834.
Harriet Cooke, Wife, Marr, 26, Railway Engine Maker's Wife, born Kimberworth, about 1835.
Albert Cooke, Son, Un, 0, born Masbrough, about 1861.

ADDED
Claire tells me she has the following, with a PARKINSON witness too:-
Ellis Cook son of Henry Cook and Elizabeth Ellis. ( A Harriot Parkinson witnessed this marriage in 1827)

Mark

Hello

In the Northern Star newspaper of April 1844

"The Colliers' Movement."

Rawmarsh. [near Rotherham]
Regarding collections for that week it says ...
 ... Friends at Greasber's 6s 4d ; Stephen Musgreave 10s ; Daniel Cook 5 s ; Bradgate £1 6s ; ...

Leeds Intelligencer, 12th February 1788
Freehold property for sale at High Burton, in the Parish of Kirk Burton, near Huddersfield ... late the Estate of Mr James Wilkinson, deceased, ... extensive right of common, ...
For further Particulars apply to Thomas Cotton, Esq; at the Haigh, near Barnsley ; Mr John Cooke, of Swinton ; Mr James Wilkinson, Surgeon, in Rotherham ; or Mr J Wilkinson, at High Burton aforesaid, who will shew the Premises.

Leeds Intelligencer, 23rd March 1795
Thursday died, much lamented, in the 54th year of her age, after a long and painful illness, which she bore with the greatest fortitude and resignation, Mrs Cooke, of Swinton. Her exemplary conduct most worthily sustained the duties of daughter, wife, and mother. ...

Leeds Intelligencer, 16th November 1801
On Monday last was married, William Vavasour, Esq; of Weston Hall, near Otley, to Miss S. Cooke, youngest daughter of John Cooke, of Swinton, near Rotherham, Esq.

John Cooke of Swinton, Yorkshire and of Shrewsbury, Esq.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=rPgRAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA189&lpg=PA189&dq=%22John+Cooke+of+Swinton%22&source=bl&ots=NhOJDZrvwT&sig=FRN7tChWSyrKedGxZCZ2UYFqgp0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiVqLKrrvvYAhXpKsAKHSsaBtwQ6AEwAXoECBEQAQ

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: Sunday 28 January 18 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

This Daniel Cooke looks to be the son of George & Elizabeth baptised 1793, possibly a cousin of Henry. 1841 census he is in Kimberworth but by 1851 the family are in Hasland in Derbyshire.

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: Sunday 28 January 18 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi

This Daniel Cooke looks to be the son of George & Elizabeth baptised 1793, possibly a cousin of Henry. 1841 census he is in Kimberworth but by 1851 the family are in Hasland in Derbyshire.

Hello

Thank you very much Claire.

There is quite a substantial funeral report in the newspaper of Ellis Cook of Rotherham in 1882, with the main mourners listed.

He died after a Coach accident at Baslow, Derbyshire.

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: Sunday 28 January 18 21:31 GMT (UK) »

I note from another report he was a Wesleyan and a partner in the Iron hoop manufacterers "Wilcock Jones and Cook".

It would seem his father and brother also met with unfortunate accidents.

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: Sunday 28 January 18 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Thank you Claire. Noticed this evening too, those Cook, Wesleyan & Methodism links.

-----------

Looking forward to seeing that Alfred William Hood signature on the 1892 Sims = Cook marriage, at Warrington.

-----------

Searching Hood and Jamaica in newspapers. The first few search returns of 1783 give Rear Admiral Hood at Jamaica. A Naval Squadron appears to have been based there.

Admiral Samuel Hood, 1st Viscount Hood (12 December 1724 – 27 January 1816)
Battle of the Saintes
On 12 April 1782 Hood took part in a British fleet under Rodney which defeated a combined French and Spanish fleet which was planning an invasion of Jamaica. The French commander De Grasse, who had been responsible for the victory at Chesapeake was captured and taken back to Britain as a prisoner.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Hood,_1st_Viscount_Hood
Footnote A Few Bloody Noses: ... by Robert Harvey page 530

Under Samuel Hood, 1st Viscount it says
Sir Samuel Hood (1762–24 December 1814), his cousin once removed, was a Rear Admiral.
His first engagement was the First Battle of Ushant on 27 July 1778, and, soon afterwards transferred to the West Indies, he was present, under the command of his cousin, at all the actions which culminated in Admiral George Rodney's victory of 12 April 1782 in the Battle of the Saintes.

Died at Madras, India.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: Monday 12 February 18 15:58 GMT (UK) »

Considering Mark's dad says their Hood's were Scottish origins and George's trade Cooper/ Brewer/Tanner/Grocer of booze (Wife & son).

I'm working on

Hull (Hessle) Griffin Breweries Cow lane -James Hood  1846 a Scot from Dumfries

https://www.sites.google.com/site/hesslelocalhistorysociety/hessle-s-history/hessle-in-1879

(Bear in mind George Hood d 1845 was a brewer)

Good Afternoon

Ros has kindly managed to access the Will (Australian version, after the refusal by Hong Kong who said I had to visit in person) of Thomas HOOD BENTLEY and one of the Witnesses was an Inglis GOLDIE.

Previous research - Thomas HOOD BENTLEY was apparently related to Eleanor COOK of Tynemouth / Shields.

Latest information here ...

Re: John & Thomas Hood Bros Sculcoates Tailors and Drapers & London, any Info please
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=780131.msg6431384#msg6431384

and

Re: Thomas Hood Bentley to Sydney late 19th c.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=106949.msg6431373#msg6431373

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: Monday 19 February 18 18:29 GMT (UK) »

Maudland Hood

One of the witnesses at Maudland Hood's Wedding at Selby 27th November 1794 was Frances STEARS.

Frances Stears to Richard Yarwood 4th February 1796

For the Stears = Yarwood marriage Family Search are quoting Quaker references:-
RG 6/785 (TNA cat - says Yorkshire QUARTERLY Meeting - Marriages Soc. of Friends' Registers)
and
RG 6/857 (TNA cat - says York - MONTHLY Meeting - Marriages Soc. of Friends Registers).

Frances Yarwood, aged 83, is recorded as a Quaker at death, Hull.

--------

Maudland Hood's Father was John Hood of Selby, Mariner (late of Scarborough, where Maudland Hood's birth and Baptism dates are recorded - St Mary's).

Hello

Maudland HOOD & Charles TURNER's 1794 Wedding

Frances STEARS, a Quaker, was at Maudland HOOD's 1794 CHURCH Wedding and signing the register as a witness, so I am wondering if Frances STEARS or a STEARS was related to either HOOD or TURNER?

Seems quite unusual, as Quakers couldn't marry in a Church or by a Priest (they would be disowned).

1st of 1st mo. 1790 [1st January]
I have got hold of the York area Quaker Families (which include Selby) and before 1790 there were several Quaker STEARS families locally Headed by:-

Mary STEARS Wife of Samuel STEARS, Linen Draper of Castlegate, York and also
two Thomas STEARS both married to a Mary, one Thomas Stears a Husbandman at Drax, the other Thomas Stears a Shopkeeper at Selby.

Cert Rec'd 1795 - also Morley STEARS, Miller, residing at Heslington Field.

Quakers were absolutely forbidden to marry at a Church Service, so I am surprised at Frances signing the Register and wondering if Frances and the STEARS were related to HOOD or TURNER marrying in 1794?

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 17:41 GMT (UK) »

From Mary Ridsdale's death record in 1876 aged 82, looked for a birth c1794.

She is the daughter of William Hood.

The BT's are in a terrible condition but she was baptised 6 July 1794 in Walkington.

William Hood married Mary Twedle in 1791 Walkington.

CANNOT find baptisms for William Hood or John Hood both born c1760ish.

So possibly William and John were siblings.

Can any one spot William and his wife Mary in 1841 - both lived into the 1840's and were buried in Walkington.

Wm Hood 1766 living with daughter Sarah Agar in Walkington.  No Mary with them though.

According to Family Search (1841), William HOOD with the Agar family, was apparently living on the Walkington "Howden Fee" in the Registration District of Beverley.

Howden Fee
The greater part of the land belongs to the Bishop of Durham's manorial liberty of Howdenshire, and is called "the Manor of Howden Fee,” and the rest of the parish is in the manor of “Provost's Fee,” ...

The Howden Fee, was a Manor in Walkington, East Riding of Yorkshire, belonging to the Bishop of Durham's manorial liberty.

Mark