Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 158692 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #981 on: Friday 09 March 18 18:05 GMT (UK) »

Besides owning property and Brewery in Wren Lane and the Messuages, a Malt Kiln and Premises in Gowthorpe, Selby.

George Hood also owned a SHARE in Messuages, cottages or tenements, Malt Kiln and premises, in Gowthorpe. NO NAME  ??? who George Hood shared the ownership with.

One possibility might be John Cape, because he was a Brewer in Gowthorpe, Selby.

Hello

Thanks dobfarm.

Gowthorpe, Selby
Regarding the Messuage, Cottages or Tenements, Malt Kiln and Premises, in Gowthorpe Selby, in which George HOOD owned a SHARE, leaving the other owner a mystery.

The 1848 Selby Rate Book, page 6, Gowthorpe, Selby, possibly answers the question ...

Occupier                     Owner     
John Precious     , John Cape                  , House
John Hood           , William Procter          , House & Tan Yard
Geo Hoods Exors, Hon. E. R. Petre Exor, Land
Geo Hoods Exors, William Procter          , Maltkiln

Looks like it was probably William Procter, who owned the other Share in the Maltkiln, in Gowthorpe.

-----------

The other Messuage and Maltkiln, with Carpenters Shop, Buildings, Yard and premises in Gowthorpe, Selby, that George Hood owned outright was his Brewery.

Maltkiln and a Brewery, Wren Lane, was run by William Hood after George Hood (who died 1845).

-----------

George Hood's Executors, also owned a Shop, occupied John Green, Jun'r (seems to be a Wheelwright) in Wide Street, Selby, (renamed Micklegate, Selby) so possibly a Workshop.

-----------

Later John Hood, Tanner, takes over Jackson's Tannery in Gowthorpe, Selby, with his Brother George Hood.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: Thursday 05 April 18 12:18 BST (UK) »

"Mrs Beatrix Bacon in 1690 devised land in the Parishes of Thorpe and Brayton, the income from which has formed the endowment for the Presbyterian Chapel in Millgate ever since that date. About that time they intermarried with another Selby family named Morritt. Bacon Morritt died in 1751, and his namesake and successor in 1775. The two families were, perhaps, the most influential in the town in their day. The Morritts became large landowners at Cawood and Ryther. Mr. Bacon Morritt was also the owner of the Manor of Bowthorpe, in the Parish of Hemingbrough, and devised £5,000 each to his five Daughters. The sisters lived at York, and were famous for their skill in needlework and their quaint dress and manners. For Anne Eliza, who was buried at Selby in 1797, the poet Mason wrote a poetical epitaph, in which he praises the skill of her pencil. Their nephew, the best-known representative of the family, was John Bacon Sawrey Morritt of Rokeby, the friend and correspondent of Sir Walter Scott, to whom his poem of 'Rokeby' is inscribed."

Beatrix Bacon was a Presbyterian.

Extract quote from Goughy

Burial

Henry Bacon of Selby
Surgeon and Apothecary son of John Bacon of Selby Tanner by Hannah his wife daugh of Mr Hood of Selby aforesaid Surgeon 17 September (1785) in Selby Church aged 60

14th March 1727
Probate of the Will of Roger Hood of Selby

In the name of God Amen I Roger Hood of Selby being weak of Body but of perfect understanding Do make this my last Will and Testament – in manner and form following (Viz.) … I give o’in manner following first I give to my Brother Nathaniel Hood, my Sister Eliz: Middleton & my sister Ann Todd my dwelling house and orchard & appurts thereunto belonging to be equally divided among o’in & Do hereby give and bequeath each of ye above mentioned p’ties an equal share in ye above mentioned house and orchard lyeing or being in Ouzegate I give also to Mr John Mush & Ann Barker liveing in Wren Lane five pounds in Trust for the only use & benefit of my Nephew German Camp to be given to him in such way & proportions as the abovementioned Mr Mush & Ann Barker shall see and think proper to give him I also give to my Nephew
German Camp the Bed and Appurts belonging to him standing in the Chamber I also give to my two Neeces Sarah and Mary Camp all the wearing apparrele linnen & wooling belonging to my Late wife Except the Cloak w’ch I give to my sister Middleton. Lastly I appoint my Brother Nathaniel Hood my Sister Middleton & my Sister Todd Exe’trs of this my Last Will & Testam’t. I give o’in all my goods & Chattells debts & Creditts my Legacys debts and funeral Expenses being first discharged In Witness whereof I set my hand & Seal this 14th March 1727/8 Roger Hood. Witness Geo: Hutchinson, Peter Leaper Ann Nutt.
[sic].

Roger Hood was buried Selby 18 March 1728.

------------

John Mush of Selby was Presbyterian.

Possibly Roger Hood of Selby had Presbyterian links too?

Hannah Hood the Daughter of Mr Hood, the Surgeon of Selby, married a Bacon.

The Hoods at Selby then seem to disappear mid 18th Century at Selby. But I'm wondering to myself, were some of the Hoods in Nonconformist Registers, now missing.

I have notes on the late 18th Century Bacon Wills / Admins.

Mark

Hello All

Looking at the Will of Roger Hood of Selby, 1727/1728

It mentions his Brother Nathaniel HOOD and two Sisters, Elizabeth MIDDLETON and Ann TODD.

(Information from Claire:- Thomas ELLISON married Martha OBEE, his sister Ann ELLISON married Richard GOLTON.)

24th December 1716 Wm: ELLISON married Anne FAUCET.

28th June 1778 Thomas ELLISON bapt 1st son of Thomas & Martha ELLISON of Selby, Cordwainer
Thos son of Thomas ELLISON of Selby, Innkeeper by Mary his wife, dau of Saml Moor of Thorp in Brayton Parish, Innkeeper. Martha dau of Christopher OBEE of Selby, Farmer by Mary his wife, dau of Wm Jefferson of Selby., Innkeeper.

Going back to the Will of Roger Hood of Selby, his Sister Elizabeth MIDDLETON did not appear, but William MIDDLETON appeared instead, with Anne TODD and Nathaniel HOOD.

19th August 1707 Nathaniel HOOD married Elizabeth FAUCET.

Later, 26th January 1737 a William MIDDLETON married Mary FAWSET.

These earlier HOODs of Selby (some are, or linked to Presbyterians and no records exist), but they link via Marriages to Richard GOLTON too (linked to Richard Gibson, Cooper?)

Definite link Thomas ELLISON COLLINSON of Myton, Hull, in partnership with Richard PEARSON; Samuel STANILAND & Others at Thorne
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=783146.msg6377882#msg6377882

Ex Nicholson property Ousegate Selby To James Collinson in 1838 involved George HOOD.

George Hood (1838 Registration) and later William Hood (1864) are linked to the Collinson property at Ousegate, Selby. Possibly also Stephen Collinson.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: Saturday 07 April 18 00:43 BST (UK) »
26 February 1809 Selby Parish Register

Richard BATHWICK or Richard BORTHWICK of Howden Parish, Sadler, married Ann WARD of Selby, by Licence.

The Witnesses were reputed to be:-

Amelia TATE 
Wm HOOD

Looks nearer Wm Wood, than Wm Hood.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: Friday 13 April 18 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hello, posting so that I don't lose it.

Indictment of George Leng otherwise George Long of SELBY, West Riding, labourer:- steal a saddle and bridle from Thomas Watson at Eastrington House of Correction 12 months

Witnesses: Matthew Harrison, Benjamin HOOD

17th October 1820

I'll try and find a newspaper report, to find out more and see where Benjamin HOOD lives.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: Monday 23 April 18 11:00 BST (UK) »
26 February 1809 Selby Parish Register

Richard BATHWICK or Richard BORTHWICK of Howden Parish, Sadler, married Ann WARD of Selby, by Licence.

The Witnesses were reputed to be:-

Amelia TATE
Wm HOOD

Looks nearer Wm Wood, than Wm Hood.

This was definitely Wm WOOD, not Hood.

Hello, posting so that I don't lose it.

Indictment of George Leng otherwise George Long of SELBY, West Riding, labourer:- steal a saddle and bridle from Thomas Watson at Eastrington House of Correction 12 months

Witnesses: Matthew Harrison, Benjamin HOOD

17th October 1820

I'll try and find a newspaper report, to find out more and see where Benjamin HOOD lives.

Mark

East Riding - reply regarding Benjamin Hood, should be Benjamin HORD ...

Document reference QSF/449/B/5, the surname Hood has been transcribed incorrectly it should be HORD, there is no reference to Benjamin being in or of Selby.

----------

Awaiting two other copy documents.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 12:24 BST (UK) »

SCULCOATES
Charles Turner baptised 19 March 1797 Father is Charles Turner and Mother is Magdaline.
Sarah Turner baptised 21 December 1799 Father is Charles Turner and Mother is Maudlin.

SELBY
16 July 1811 Charles Turner Son of Charles, Selby, Whitesmith. Drowned aged 14 and buried in the Church Yard.

Age 14 would give a birth of 1797, matching exactly the 1797 baptism at Sculcoates.

The drowning of Charles TURNER might have happened between Ferriby and Ferriby Sluice, as there is a drowning in the newspapers shortly before the burial date at Selby (Burial 16th July 1811 in the Selby Transcriptions).

Ferriby appears to have been in both the Counties of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire; North Ferriby in Yorkshire and South Ferriby in Lincolnshire.

Hull Advertiser and Exchange Gazette,  13th July 1811

A boy belonging to the Brigg packet boat was drowned a few days ago, between Ferraby Sluice and that place, owing to the horse upon which he was riding, behind the boat, having fallen from the towing path into the water.

----------

In the Selby Transcriptions (which only cover up to 1812), Charles TURNER [& Mordland TURNER (nee HOOD) ] other Son:-

6th July 1806, John TURNER, Son of Charles Turner, Whitesmith. Died aged 2 & buried in the body of the church.

John TURNER was their 3rd Son, born 1804, according to the Selby Parish transcriptions.

----------

Interesting to see a 4th Son baptised 20th February 1809 GEORGE TURNER (born 17th February)

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: Monday 07 May 18 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hello All

I feel I am probably getting the best links one can get in the circumstances between John Hood of Selby, Mariner (buried 1819) and George Hood of Selby (married at Selby 1815) a known ancestor of mine in my line.

Working the children and grandchildren forward (so far), of Charles TURNER and Maudland TURNER (nee Maudland HOOD) there appears to be one definite link, in 2):-

1. Elizabeth TURNER child (of Charles & Maudland TURNER nee HOOD) has married Samuel NICHOLSON in 1832 at Selby and the Nicholson surname is the only suggestion I can find for George HOOD (taking out a Mortgage late in life) buying the late Samuel Nicholson of Rawcliff, properties at Selby (Registered 1838), when the Nicholsons were forced to sell by the Court of Chancery. George Hood already had his own personal property and he does not appear to be related to the Collinsons, nor Ann Etty.

*Amended*
However, the problem here was, that there appears to be no link between the property owner Samuel Nicholson of Rawcliffe (Snaith) deceased and the Samuel Nicholson [wheelwright] who married Elizabeth Turner in 1832.

2. Two TURNER Grandchildren of Maudland TURNER nee HOOD (from John Hood, Mariner, unconfirmed ancestor pre gap) have married a GRUBB, naming their children with middle names of Marshall and Railton, this confirms strong links to my line (post gap), who also have married into the Marshall and Grubb families (this Grubb incidentally traces back to a Railton GRUBB), suggesting the families and the HOODs (pre and post gap) knew each other and likely married other members of the same family.

3. Mary TURNER has married Richard RUSSELL, Captain. I now know from the witness who signed as Hannah CRASER (not Hannah eraser), that Hannah (maiden surname TURNER) was Mary's Sister. Hannah TURNER, had married George CREASER only weeks before.

From George CREASER's obituary it says his Wife was Miss Turner of Selby, so from her death age Hannah was Charles & Mordland Turner's (Maudland HOOD's) Daughter  ... therefore Richard RUSSELL had also married into Charles & Mordland TURNER's family. Details here ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=792827.msg6493805#msg6493805

Question
So my question relating to 3. - is Richard RUSSELL, Captain, related to Sarah RUSSELL's family, please?

If so, it would show a 3rd link from John Hood, Mariner, descendants, this time to George HOOD's wife.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 11:34 BST (UK) »

I have some questions please, in London, where Hannah Mary Hood born Selby 1850 (who married John Conway Curtis) and was known as Anna Mary Curtis lives. In 1885 she was a Hood witness (of 291 Camberwell Road, London) and John Conway Curtis (her late husband's) address was still the same in the 1901 Probate Index, despite his death at the Constance Road workhouse, East Dulwich, Surrey.

But I can't find the Curtis at the 291 Camberwell Road address in the Census?

--------

Also wondering if the following might be related:-

Also a Dairyman Mr Grove of the Dairy and A. M. Grove of Camberwell Green Dairy, 291 Camberwell Road, also seems to live (overlapping with the Curtis) at the same address, according to newspapers?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=763680.msg6308109#msg6308109

Hi Mark

Now this is interesting.....  both 1891 and 1901 Census living at 291 Camberwell Road

George Grove  b 1852    Selby  Head    Dairyman/Shopkeeper
Anna Mary Grove b 1852 Selby  Wife

Hi

Thank you Goughy and Claire

How interesting to wake up to this! ...

Hannah Mary Hood born 1850 became Anna Mary Curtis. Her husband John Conway Curtis is on the run in 1880, so they change their surname to Grove.

John Conway Curtis left £1702 in 1901, but in 1902 the Will was "Resworn" and worth just over two hundred.

The pair were never discussed!

Mark

Hello

An 1890 advert offering a £5 Reward posted by "Proprietor: A. M. Grove" of Camberwell Green Dairy, Established 1884 [Hannah Mary HOOD / Married name Anna Mary CURTIS] of 291 Camberwell Road, born Selby made a loose claim to Farms at:-

Clonmel, County Tipperary
Hayes, Kent

I wonder if any Hood connection, in those places?

A. M. Curtis had been a Witness to my 2 X Gt Grandfather George Hood, born Selby.

Mr Grove was visiting Ireland (1891)

----------

I have found a reference to a July 1813 Lease to George HOOD, Kilkenny.

Also a Form downloaded and titled the IRE 1771 Tipperary Clans Archive BOX 3 has in handwriting -
Source Freeman's Journal 13.9.1770 to 15.2.1772. Place U.C.C. 30.9.94
Date, Sept 1771;
Name, Dr George Hood;
Place, Kilkenny;
Occupation, Relatives/Comments, Chancellor, Kildare, Rectory Rathdowney.

----------

I'm also wondering if these two operating under their assumed surname of GROVE, appear on any shipping lists, visiting Ireland?

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 12:57 BST (UK) »
George GROVE of Camberwell Green Dairy, 291 Camberwell Road, London, S.E., was in partnership with Walter Nowell CAREY, as Dairymen, when the Dairy was dissolved in February 1901.

No mention of Anna Mary Grove or Anna Mary Curtis.

His Will was written 29th June 1888 and signed as John Conway CURTIS, Proved 4th October 1901, to Anna Mary CURTIS, with his address as 291 Camberwell Road, in the County of Surrey, but dying at the Constance Road Workhouse, East Dulwich, on 4th August 1901.

Witnesses:-
Frank Graham CAMPBELL, 106 Boyson Road, Walworth, S.E.
Emma WHITTARD, 1 Sunny Side, Moseley, Birmingham.

Mark