Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 158735 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #990 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 10:25 BST (UK) »
George GROVE of Camberwell Green Dairy, 291 Camberwell Road, London, S.E., was in partnership with Walter Nowell CAREY, as Dairymen, when the Dairy was dissolved in February 1901.

No mention of Anna Mary Grove or Anna Mary Curtis.

His Will was written 29th June 1888 and signed as John Conway CURTIS, Proved 4th October 1901, to Anna Mary CURTIS, with his address as 291 Camberwell Road, in the County of Surrey, but dying at the Constance Road Workhouse, East Dulwich, on 4th August 1901.

Witnesses:-
Frank Graham CAMPBELL, 106 Boyson Road, Walworth, S.E.
Emma WHITTARD, 1 Sunny Side, Moseley, Birmingham.

Mark

Claire has found Walter Nowell CAREY of Guernsey.
http://www.careyroots.com/ea11a.html

----------

According to Bernard Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of ... it says this under CAREY of ROZEL, Guernsey

1 Margaret, m. Spencer Henry, son of Charles B. Curtis, Esq., and has issue.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=FIcTAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA270&lpg=PA270&dq=Spencer+%22Castle+carey%22+guernsey&source=bl&ots=AAlWSVGP8A&sig=AHnaM6eDVfvpW505RXHdBig1OCg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwisnL_Mit3cAhWFVsAKHbDMC7IQ6AEwBHoECAAQAQ

Charles Berwick Curtis (1795-1876) married Henrietta Pearson (1796-1884), in 1822, Edmonton, Middlesex
http://ghgraham.org/charlescurtis.html

Their son Henry Spencer born 1833 married Margaret Tupper Carey.

----------

Samuel Brunyee Curtis, is listed (GRO Index) as dying at Selby in 1875, aged 44.
According to Probate Calendars Samuel Curtis died 26 June 1875 at Selby, Sarah Lowther Curtis of Selby Widow the Relict.

John Conway Curtis married Hannah / Anna Mary Hood of Selby, in 1878. His late Father was S. B. Curtis.

----------

I wonder if John Conway Curtis might possibly be related to the Carey family, explaining the partnership at the Camberwell Green Dairy?

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: Monday 03 September 18 12:41 BST (UK) »
I wonder if my Grandma Hood had got it a bit wrong when she told us Thomas Cook the Traveller? Captain James Cook seems to have links to Gt Ayton?
http://www.captaincookschoolroommuseum.co.uk/

Regards Mark

Hello

According to a summary written by Alan R. Lancaster about James Cook, who later became known as Captain James Cook, R.N., he comments ...

William Sanderson was a Shopkeeper at Staithes ... "Sanderson released him from his apprenticeship and he began another one in the employ of the Quaker John Walker, master mariner and owner of several 'Whitby Cats', (shallow draught ships that were used in the movement of Alum shale as well as taking coals from Tyneside to Wapping, on the Thames east of the City of London). James did well, beginning his service on the 'Freelove' under the master John Jefferson. Finishing his apprenticeship in April 1750, James had been west to Ireland and across the North Sea, through the Skagerrak and Kattegat to the Baltic ports of Sweden, North Germany and Poland. He was to pass his examination and achieve his master's ticket, sailing as mate on the 'Friendship'."

Captain James Cook, was murdered in 1779, but had earlier connections with Whitby and apparently Staithes, up the coast, North from Scarborough.

A table of voyages in Whitby ships
https://www.captaincooksociety.com/home/detail/a-table-of-cook-s-voyages-in-whitby-ships

I wonder if John Jefferson (who knew James Cook), was John Jefferson who had links to John Hood of Scarborough, Mariner (and later John Hood of Selby, Mariner).

The Elizabeth Leppington (Widow on Allegation) in the attached Marriage Bond extract was Elizabeth Spencer.

Grandma did link us to Captain Cook who travelled the seas.

I am wondering if John Jefferson is the person who links us to James Cook, not a blood relationship, but an acquaintance of John Hood, Mariner, whose Marriage Bondsman at Scarborough in 1763 was John Jefferson, Mariner?

I thought of Thomas Cook the Traveller (who founded the Travel Agency), because he lived in one of the same roads as my 2 X Gt Grandfather, at Leicester.

James Cook's Wife was Elizabeth Cook and also sometimes called Elizabeth Batts Cook (1742 to 1835).

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: Monday 03 September 18 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hello

Bit of an update

https://www.captaincooksociety.com/home/detail/muster-records-for-the-north-sea-colliers-of-james-cook-1747-1755

The first two transcribed Muster Rolls including James Cook as crew born Marton 1728, indicate that John Jefferson, Master of the Freelove (1747-1748) and Master of the Three Brothers (1748-1749), was born Sandsend 1715 to 1716.

Sounds like both George Hood and John Hood of Scarborough, Mariners, could have known this John Jefferson, born 1715 to 1716 Sandsend and Master on the 1747 to 1749 Rolls, with James Cook on board as a Servant.

Sandsend was near Whitby.

--------

Unfortunately, I don't have an age, nor Birthplace for the John Jefferson, Master, who was definitely linked to John Hood of Scarborough and of Selby.

John Hood was baptised 1738 Scarborough, and sailing from the Port Hull (1774 onwards) as a Master and linked to a John Jefferson, Mariner and Master.

Kicking myself, I don't have a photograph of a Muster Roll with John Jefferson, Master, early 1770s!!

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hello

So far, I had probably been looking at the wrong John Jefferson deaths, but Claire has found a Will.

Some new developments here regarding a Ships and Vessels owner [owned Shares], John Jefferson of York:-

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731922.msg6573022#msg6573022

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 12:32 BST (UK) »
Found an apprenticeship record for the son Richard

Jefferson, Richard son of John Jefferson, mariner of York apprenticed to William Coton woollen draper and merchant tailor - dated 1790.

Quite a few records for the Jefferson’s in the Deeds Register of York - tailors woollen drapers etc.
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 15:55 BST (UK) »
Found an apprenticeship record for the son Richard

Jefferson, Richard son of John Jefferson, mariner of York apprenticed to William Coton woollen draper and merchant tailor - dated 1790.

Quite a few records for the Jefferson’s in the Deeds Register of York - tailors woollen drapers etc.

Hello All

Thank you very much Claire.

There is a John Cotton the younger, in the following Will ...
Will of Ann Hood 1799 Kingston upon Hull, Widow
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=781212.msg6355993#msg6355993

Her Son was a missing Seaman, Samuel Hood late of Moreton and the Notice in the newspaper appealing for information ...

Hull Packet, 15th July 1800
SAMUEL HOOD, a Seaman, wanted.
If SAMUEL HOOD, Son of MICHAEL
HOOD, late of Morton, near Gainsborough, in
Lincolnshire, be living, and will apply to Mr GARBUTT,
Woollendraper, in Lowgate, Hull, he may
receive 300l, left by the late Mrs. Ann Hood,
his Mother-in-Law, to himself or his heirs:-The
said Samuel Hood is or was by profession a seaman;
if living, is about 64 years of age; supposed to sail out
of London, but it is not known on what service or
station, as he has not been heard of for some years.
-If dead, any Person or Persons coming forward and
proving his death, and a legal claim as his heir or
heirs, will be entitled to the above property.
GEORGE ENGLAND.
Hull, July 10, 1800.

I am now certain that where the York Will Volumes Copyist (on Borthwick microfilm of the Registers) has written Battow, the place should say BARROW (note end of the Will transcription). I did wonder if the Copyist had got it wrong over 200 years ago.

The 1747 Hull Trinity House Muster Roll information (featured on my John Hood thread regarding Mariners in the Occupations section of RC) of Captain Michael Hood born Barrow and of Morton, so that Captain Michael Hood is likely related to Elizabeth Hood of Kingston upon Hull, in the Will, Proved 1799.

----------

The reply from Trinity House at Hull says they have no records going back far enough into the 18th Century, so nothing there for me.

----------

Thomas Hewson, Hewson & Co. Hull, of the Centurion
John Hood of Selby, Mariner, was sailing on the Centurion, for Thomas Hewson of Hewson & Co., 1788 to 1790 (Hull Muster Rolls, Hull & Lloyds Registers).

According to adverts in the Hull newspaper they were known as Hewson & Co. Thomas Hewson died 1812.

Stamford Mercury, 14th February 1812
Last week, at York, aged 77, Mr. Hewson, father to Mr. George Hewson, wharfinger, of Hull.

I now have scans of the 1812 Will of Thomas Hewson of York, Gentleman, from our Library here ...
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D296336

Thank you, Mark

ADDED: I think John Jefferson is the one to concentrate on.

Thos Hewson (Will 1812) was linked to Hull and mentions Ship Owner, William Martin who was in the September 1778 advert when a set of ships were made ready (which included John Hood & John Jefferson).

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: Saturday 08 September 18 12:25 BST (UK) »
Two Edward Wilkinson births c1750

Edward W son of William bapt. 1750 Kellington

Edward W son of James (NC baptism) in Cleckheaton ( born Birstall 1752.

Edward Wilkinson aged 29 married Margaret Twist 1781 Selby by licence.

One of the baptisms of the Bateman children list 'Edward Wilkinson, Innkeeper' as father of Mary Bateman nee Wilkinson.

So seems likely given ages and occupation from the records found that Edward W that died in 1828 is the man above.

Quick look at Fowler - can see a birth in Caistor, Lincs of a Bateman Fowler in 1896 - a possible link ?

Thanks Claire

---------------

Kellington is closer to Knottingley and Whitley, than Selby.

Samuel Hirst diaries (of Kellington, born Cridling Stubbs) mention a George Hood.

George Hood in the Knottingley Land Tax of 1813, occupying a property of George Wilkinson.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=758380.0

Chester Newby 1815 Hood=Russell, Marriage Bondsman, born Whitley / Kellington.

I was also just wondering if George Hood, Knottingley, (if the same George as George Hood of Selby), his Son James & Sarah Hood (nee Arundel) might be linked twice (separately) to the Wilkinsons?

---------------

Regards Mark

Hello

I wonder if George Hood's Father was linked to William Hood of Pollington in the Parish of Snaith.

There is another link too, including in the Samuel Hirst Diaries (born Cridling Stubbs) of a visit by George Hood returning from Askern.

All these places and Chester Newby, Baptism / Residence place (1790 Kellington / Whitley) are all in the same area of the West Riding!

George NEWBY, Bachelor, Wheelwright, married Elizabeth SWANN, Spinster, both of Baln, by Banns, at St Laurence, SNAITH, 9th February 1802.

*** One witness was WILLIAM HOOD ***

I now wonder if William HOOD was related to the Groom or Bride / families?

Mark

See Marriage extract

See Map

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: Saturday 08 September 18 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hello

David Swann & William Hood witnesses, to the George Newby, Marriage at Snaith in 1802 (both of the couple were from Baln).

Regarding a David Swann of Balne ...

Agreement of Sarah and David Swann, farmers, of Balne, with George John Yarburgh, to rent lands in Balne on annual basis, at £137 per annum

Snaith St Lawrence have a Burial for David Swann of Baln, aged 80 years, 14th May 1824.

----------

George John Yarburgh of Heslington Hall, in the county of York.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: Saturday 15 September 18 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Some interesting developments (in brief) regarding John Hood of Selby (born Scarborough), Mariner and the JOHN HOOD & MARTHA DEAN, 1781 Marriage Banns at Scarborough, but no Scarborough St Mary's Marriage entry in the Parish Register.

John DEAN of Gainsborough was the Owner of John HOOD's Sloop Industry sailing from Hull and also owned the Gainsborough Calvinist Meeting House too.

More detail and information here ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731922.msg6580252#msg6580252

Mark