Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 158895 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #99 on: Friday 03 February 17 00:02 GMT (UK) »

The Will I have sent belongs to the father of Sarah Ann MITTON ~ she is mentioned in the Will as Pearson. Another name that crops up a fair bit is POPPLEWELL ~ I think that's what it says.

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Friday 03 February 17 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Cockins of Luddington Lincs, have been touched on before by Jomot, but maybe worth a second look.

In trying to find something about the Thomas C in your post I came across this marriage by Licence.

Thomas Cockin (aged 24 and of Luddington, Lincs.) and Margrit CHESTER (18 a minor of Hatfield) married at Hatfield 17 Aug. 1796

Both signed
Witnesses: Mary Hutton, Thomas Chester and Robt. Cockin

Wonder if there is a family link with Chester Newby's mother Hannah Newby nee Chester ?

If the burial of Hannah I've found is the correct one in 1839, her entry in the Death Duty register reads Hannah NUBY of Carlton, Snaith Yorks. .... Wm Mitton, Stamford Lincoln.

William Mitton bn Snaith 1789 son of Henry & Mary Mitton nee Eadon.

When Richard Gibson married Eleanor Wainwright in 1792 one of the witnesses was a RICHARD GOLTON a tailor ( son of a Richard Golton of Wistow).  Richard Golton (the witness) had a son Richard in 1779 who married an Elizabeth Perkin ( father Thomas Perkin of Berwick) c1803.

In 1812 Richard GOULTON bn 1779 was buried in Selby , a ELIZABETH GOLTON a widow married CHESTER NEWBY 1814

claire

Other QUOTES

On George Hood's 1815 Marriage Bond, it was signed by:-
George Hood and Chester Newby of Selby, a miller.

Earlier reply #160 from Goughy 26 October 2015
Chester Newby
Born in Whitley Bridge 1790 Parents Thomas and Hannah Newby (nee Chester)
Married Elizabeth Goulton 30 Jan 1814  (Chester of Snaith Parish - Elizabeth Selby Parish
Re-married 1841 in Rawcliffe, Goole to Mary Ann Pease - residence at time of marriage Barlow
1841 Census residence  Barlow
1851 Census visitor Barlow
Died 25 Sept 1859 Selby District
Probate Calendar describes him as Gentleman of Snaith

Goughy

END OF QUOTES

Hannah Newby, Death Certificate (alias Hannah Nuby in Probate Register)

Registration District SELBY
1839 Death in the Sub-district of Snaith in the County of York
Fourteenth of April 1839 At Carlton
HANNAH NEWBY
Female
Age 77
Widow of Thomas Newby Farmer
Age & Debility
Informant The Mark of X HANNAH PRECIOUS Carlton Present at the Death
Registered Seventeenth of April 1839
Thomas Perkins Registrar

Confirms Widow of Thomas Newby, Farmer, was Hannah Newby [nee Chester].

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 10:22 GMT (UK) »

Hannah Hepworth buried 21 January 1803 Halifax Square Chapel, Independant, "late of Huddersfield"

Hannah Cockin married Joseph Hepworth after Banns at Huddersfield 17 March 1782.
Both left their mark.
Witnesses: Edward Townsend and James Booth.

No mention of either being bachelor, spinster etc. just both OTP.

Claire

See the origin of the quote and then the newspaper Deaths notice in my reply above it.

According to the newspapers the dissenting minister was either John; or Joseph Cockin. Also a possible James Cockin according to the online thesis.

If the Hepworth = Cockin, marriage is the mother of the dissenting minister (per Deaths notice).

Was the dissenting minister born before the marriage, or born after the marriage taking his mother's maiden name, please?

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Gosh these are a tricky family - there are so many Cockins in and around Huddersfield.

From the newspaper Hannah Hepworth was 76 at death birth c1727.

I think she was married before Mr Hepworth, and started life as Hannah Lockwood bpt. 29 Feb. 1727 ALMONDBURY father John a tailor.

Hannah Lockwood married John COCKIN a tailor Almondbury 27 March 1749 Almondbury.

CHILDREN: at Almondbury

Thomas bpt. 12 Jan 1750 son of John, Tailor of Honley.

John bpt. 15 Feb 1753 son of John Jnr. Tailor of Honley.

Joseph bpt. 13 March 1754 info as above.

George bpt. 16 Oct. 1758 info the same, buried 1759

Charles bpt 1 Jan 1763
David bpt 8 July 1764
George bpt 7 June 1767

John Cockin of Honley clothier buried 4 Sept 1772, also buried 7 May 1772 a son Levi.

Think this is the family, but there are an awful lot of Cockins in this area

Claire

EDIT: Given the George Hood appearing in Knottingley c1813, have the Hood family there been checked out ? A John and Sarah baptising children c1760/70s ?

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Claire

He was John Hood, the Waterman.

Reply #65 12 December 2015, Part 2, Re: George Hood Burial where? ...

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=742805.msg5829286#msg5829286

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Mark,

There is a newspaper article about the History of the Square Chapel dated 1889 ~ mentions JOSEPH COCKIN dissenting minister ~ also mentions he was of HONLEY and his father was a clothier of ALMONDBURY etc. so the correct family.

Good little article, have sent it on.

claire

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Mark,

There is a newspaper article about the History of the Square Chapel dated 1889 ~ mentions JOSEPH COCKIN dissenting minister ~ also mentions he was of HONLEY and his father was a clothier of ALMONDBURY etc. so the correct family.

Good little article, have sent it on.

claire

Hi Claire

Great work, finding that 1889 newspaper article, about John Cockin and Joseph Cockin, the Square Chapel and also mentioning Holmfirth too!

Found another article in 1889 that mentions the Rev Paxton Hood referring to a Trust Deed ...

The Huddersfield Chronicle, 26 January 1889
"THEORIES" AND "FACTS" AT
SQUARE CHAPEL, HALIFAX.
               ------------
Resignation of Deacon Crossley, M.P.
               ------------
"The trust deed amongst us is a kind of dead-
hand." So said the Rev Paxton Hood in 1881 when
commenting upon the Huddersfield case of Jones v.
Stannard, which was heard and settled in one of the
superior courts before one of the Vice-Chancellors,
after "brotherly love" had exhausted itself in search of
a local remedy.

Crossley was Mr Edward Crossley M.P.
Stannard - Rev J. T. Stannard (per book on internet)

Interesting the Rev Paxton Hood had apparently commented on a Trust Deed in 1881.

A coincidence or ??

Regards Mark

EDIT
I wonder if Paxton Hood had any link to the Rev Robert Hood (Independent Chapel) of Brampton and the Chapel, Hanover Square, Newcastle?

Reply #18
Thread - George Son of John Hood bapt Gateshead ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=754237.18

1804, also found in The Lady's Magazine, or Entertaining Companion ...

30. At Brampton, in the County of Cumberland, the rev. J. Wright, of Hutton, in Dumfriesshire, to miss Hood, daughter of the late rev. Robert Hood, of Newcastle upon Tyne.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=F3kEAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA279&lpg=PA279&dq=%22Hood+of+Newcastle+upon+Tyne%22&source=bl&ots=1sU7y2f2Y5&sig=skFRR-rffvuh9W3rWm6YV-kqNE0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjVo4qKg8LKAhWCQBoKHTLlBScQ6AEIIDAD

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Edwin Paxton Hood was born 1821 St George Hanover Square London to THOMAS Hood and Martha Davies. He was educated privately,  presumably after the death of his mother in 1824, as his father served in the Royal Navy,  (with Nelson ~ from Edwin's obit in 1885 after his death in Paris.)

Married three times, had one child Samuel Oughton Paxton Hood.

First time in census he was an author and lecturer of literature, following census ~  Minister.

Churches he officiated at were: Offord Road Chapel, Barnsbury.    Queens Square, Brighton, Cavendish Chapel, Manchester and on his return to London, the Falcon Square Chapel.

The Trust Deed is explained here in this link ~ half way down the page under the heading ~CONGREGATIONAL CHURCHES IN HUDDERSFIELD AND DISTRICT

https://huddersfield.exposed/wiki/The_History_of_Huddersfield_and_the_Valleys_of_the_Colne,_the_Holme_and_the_Dearne_(1906)_-_Chapter_V

claire

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Thursday 09 February 17 09:34 GMT (UK) »

---------------------------------------------------
Lancashire Archives

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/libraries-and-archives/archives-and-record-office/visit-lancashire-archives/lancashire-archives.aspx

12th cent-19th cent: Lancs (Dunkenhalgh, etc) and Yorks (Selby Abbey, etc) deeds, family and estate papers

Lancashire Archives

DDPt

NRA 6100 RC Petre 

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/N13861017

Thank you Claire

Jonathan Hutchinson's Diary and information at the Haslemere Museum didn't mention George Hood, [George Hood's Brewery premises in 1839 were owned by William Procter]. However, their reply did mention the Hutchinson and Procter marriage link (discussed previously), Thomas Procter and Hutchinson's Uncle Procter of Kettering.

My 2 X Gt Grandmother and family had links with Kettering.

However, I suspect Uncle Procter of Kettering and the Tibbits Hood Mausoleum at Wolfhampcote are all coincidences.

One of the Procters had children with different surnames.

I've acquired some more papers from where I got the William Hood of Selby, (Manor of Selby Admittance) papers.

Procter - Dickinson?
One is an Affirmation dated 1875, stamped Sheffield, referring to the Will of Elizabeth Proctor of Selby and claiming to be related and that Ann Dickinson was the Niece of William Procter late of Selby and that Herbert Camm Dickinson was the only Son of Ann Dickinson. Claiming that "Herbert Dickinson" mentioned in Elizabeth Procter's Last Will and Testament late of Selby and Herbert Camm Dickinson were the same person.

Manor of Selby mss
I'm hopeful that the other Petre papers, might reveal more about my slippery ancestor, who left numerous references to himself, but not revealing his origin, or his burial!

Regards Mark

EDIT:

Procter and Richardsons?

Seems George Hood at Selby has become involved with the Procters, possibly via the Marriage of his Son, John Hood to Sarah Richardson in 1846.

Online reference to Richardson of Great Ayton who were linked with Leather Tanning ... Elizabeth Procter being nee Elizabeth Slinger and a Procter Trust.

Copy will of William Procter of Selby, Esquire, 4th September 1846 - East Riding Archives DDGU/1/51

Bequests: wife; nephew Jonathan Hutchinson and wife Elizabeth; sister Elizabeth Procter; etc Property: Selby, Great Ayton, Summercroft, parish Drax, Dacre cum Beverley, Brayton, Wistow, Riccall, Hillam, Haddlesey, Burn, Osgodby, Gunby, Bubwith, etc with codicils (1849-1854)