Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 157082 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 15:29 BST (UK) »

From an earlier post on one of the other threads a William COOK married an Elizabeth HOOD in 1804 Christchurch, Tynemouth.

From baptisms of this couple it does say mother/bride was from the parish of Newcastle All Saints, where in 1780 there is a baptism of Elizabeth HOOD daughter of  a John HOOD mariner in 1780.

Thank you so much for the reminder Claire, I had forgotten about the other COOK posts (which I even seemed to have quoted at Reply 236) and intended noting them down (if I have not done so already), hope I'm not losing my marbles.

Just found your Cook references here at Reply 234 (replies around pages 26 & 27) on the "Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby ... " thread under Yorkshire (North Riding) ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=754247.234

If my hunch is right (about the middle surnames of James Hood's children), this continues to support - the Richard Gibson (Uncle) - George Hood (Nephew) theory of dobfarm's, which many of you have so handsomely and generously contributed too (both on & offline)!

Thank you

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 October 16 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

Any Cookin - Hood link, help please?

This 'Cookin' suname is extremely rare and there are only two Cookin deaths Registered 1837 to 1900 (on Free BMD). On checking the actual GRO Index images, these are registered at the following Reg'n Districts:-

John Cookin, Runcorn, Volume XIX, page 137 (transcriber states December 1838).
Mary Cookin, 60, St. Giles, Volume 1b, page 307, June 1868.

There is an age for Mary Cookin of 60, giving her a birth somewhere, of 1808 (although I don't know yet, if she was a Spinster or Married woman).

---------------------------------------

Although too early, there is a John Cookin of Highfield Memorial at Bristol ...

Page 160 (only brief info here, more in the link further on)
https://archive.org/stream/stmarksormayors00barkgoog

The Lord Mayors Chapel (St Mark's), College Green, Bristol.
Here lyeth the body of John Cookin Sonne and heire of Vincent Cookin of Hifield Esq: Who beinge about 11 years olde departed this life The 12 Day of March Anno Doni 1627. 

Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaological Society for 1903.
Page 277 to 278
https://archive.org/stream/transactionsofbr26bris

Image on Flickr, although I'm interested in other Cookin's with a Hood link?

John Cookin monument (boy kneeling on one knee) ...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/lyeth

------------------------

Placed for future reference (re Cook), we have already looked at this and I need to see if the actual Parish Register provdes more information than the B.T.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=163102.0

------------------------

It is the rarity of this Cookin surname and it does not appear once in the Register of Selby Parish Transcriptions up to 1813?

Regards Mark

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 October 16 16:39 BST (UK) »
The problem with Cockin/Cookin is that the names seem to have constantly evolved.  Take this family for example:

Marriage 08 Jan 1789 James Cockin X Frances Corner – both of South Cave
22 Nov 1789 Robert Coggin s/o James & Francis, Welton
16 Sep 1792 Ann Coggin d/o James & Frances
02 Aug 1795 James Coggin s/o James & Frances
01 Dec 1805 (born 14 Mar 1800), William Coggin s/o James & Frances
1 Dec 1805 (born 29 Jul 1805), Mary Coggin

Following William: Marriage 13 Jun 1827 – William Cocking m Frances Hollingshead. 
Several children baptised between 1828 - 1840 with surnames either Cockin or Cocking.  1841 census has them as Cocking, 1851 has them as Cockhill.

In 1837 there is a Selby birth Registration for Jane Cockin - has she been traced?  I wondered if she was the Jane Cockerill aged 5 in Cloughton? 

Henry Cockerill 65 Ag Lab
Ann 59
//
Rachel Gibson 50 Ind
Mary 17
Jane Cockerill 5
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 October 16 17:28 BST (UK) »
She could be the one baptised in Snaith daughter of William and Anne Cockin on 15 October 1837. Abode: Cowick

And this marriage 12 June 1830 after Banns at Hatfield.

William COCKIN of Snaith married Ann ROBINSON

He signed she left her mark
Witnesses: John ? ? ? and
William COOKE.
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 October 16 18:22 BST (UK) »
Yes, that looks good - especially as Eliza Cockin d/o William married in Selby in 1866.

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 21 October 16 18:45 BST (UK) »
She could be the one baptised in Snaith daughter of William and Anne Cockin on 15 October 1837. Abode: Cowick

William COOKE.

I think it says John Hopworth or Hepworth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 October 16 18:50 BST (UK) »

William COOKE.

Thank you Jomot and Claire

Cooke comes back to haunt us again.

1. Here is the birth entry of Jane Cockin (which could almost be transcribed Cackin).

EDIT: I posted a few places where I found Cockins, here ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=747759.0
and Reply #13 (Page 2) of thread.

2. Selby
Sub-district Riccall, a Hood death at Cliff:-
10th February 1868, Hannah Hood, aged 24 years, "Wife of William Hood a farm Labourer". "Wind-dropsy 7 weeks Not Certified. Wm Tasker present at the Death Cliff. Charles Denham Registrar 11th February 1868.
Comments already on here ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=748303.0

3. 1861 There were also some Vincent Hoods at Carlton (from Ditchingham, Norfolk and places in Norfolk) Please see my ... Reply #6, on the other thread in the link, who moved around a lot and had a child Matilda Vincent Hood in 1861 at Langrick, (nr Carlton / Drax area).

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 21 October 16 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hello

1. Here is the 16th May 1815 Marriage Bond (Selby Peculiar Court) of George Hood.

2. Chester Newby, Miller of Selby was George Hood's Bondsman and he is believed to be the same Chester Newby (Ancestry had him as August Newby) in the Baptism Register of Whitley / Kellington ... 

Kellington
8 August Chester So of Thomas & Hannah Newby Whitley

Although we had no link, there is the 1793 Marriage at Scalby (near Scarborough) of John Hood to a Jane Newby (I don't really want to mention it, as it may be taking us in the wrong compass direction from Selby).

However, Kellington is South-West of Selby and Whitley further to the South South East of Kellington.

Newby's in the Snaith / Balne areas ...
Hull Packet 25 Aug 1843
August 18, at Snaith ... Mr Rob't Newby, farmer of Balne Croft, near Snaith, to Miss Dickson of Pollington, near the same place.

Yorks Gazette 3 October 1835
... Mr Nathan Newby, sen., of Baln-Croft, near Snaith, farmer, aged 70.

3. Some Cockins are Southerly from Selby, Snaith and near Doncaster (mentioned in other thread).

One of George Hood's sons William Hood married Jane Casson born Thorne, Yorkshire

4. A George Hood is mentioned in the Diaries of Samuel Hirst staying at Askern, but then dining at Kellington (so on his way back):-
http://www.kellingtons-independent-website.co.uk/page52.htm

"Samuel Hirst was born in Stubbs Walden on his father's farm in the year 1803. In February 1831 at the age of 27 he came to Kellington to take over a farm that formed part of Sir Samuel Crompton's estate." Apparently, Hirst was a land valuer, so that might be the reason for the friendship.

Tuesday 9 July
At Kellington, a fine day but it was very like rain in the morning.
I am just expecting Mr Hood and his friend to dine out of (?) today, they are staying at Askern.
Mr Hood came and dined with me.

Called and looked at Mr Earnshaw's rams.
I took supper at Hutt Green.

Friday 27 September
At Howden Show, a fine day.
Wm Dickon bought a gig horse of Penty of York for £31/10/0 and he bought a fine hunting horse 4 years old of Mr George Hood for £63/0/0. I lent him £35/2/3.
My expenses are 8/6.
I paid Goodworth for Miss B - £7/0/0.
I received of George Auty for Miss B £10/0/0.

If this Samuel Hirst is dining with my George Hood at Kellington, Askern is even further south of Whitley.

5. Charles Hood, born Selby (married twice), aged 2 and Son of George Hood born Selby & Ann Hood born Blyth, Notts., of Byfield Lodge Farm House, 1861 Census.

Charles Hood was not in my line and this might be a coincidence, but in the 1891 Census (RG12 /3762) of Whitwood, Normanton, Charles Hood born Selby aged 30 Railway Signalman and Hannah Hood aged 28 and family have an Emma Hirst, Visitor, M, aged 57 or 59, born Ledsham, Yorkshire.

Might be a coincidence this Emma Hirst (or friend only).

However, the only clues suggests George Hood Senior, with links to Parishes South of the Selby Peculiar Jurisdiction.

Regards Mark

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 22 October 16 20:28 BST (UK) »
At the risk of sending everyone off on a wild goose chase, I think the Cockins of Luddington, Lincs may be worth a closer inspection. 

The bondsman for George Hood's marriage was a miller, and I noticed that in the same year there was a James Cockin Jr baptised to William & Elizabeth Cockin in Luddington.  William was a Miller.

Tracing him back I believe William was baptised at Luddington on 01 Feb 1790, the son of William Cockin & Sarah Maw who married in 1788, and that William Jr married Elizabeth Gelder in 1810.

Taking it back a generation further, William Sr's parents could be either:
a) Robert Cockin X Elizabeth Gibson, 1760, Luddington, (I believe Elizabeth was local)
    1762 William
    1764 Robert   

b) William Cockin X Elizabeth Leggott, 1756, Belton In Axholme
    1757 William
    1767 Elizabeth (Althorpe)
    1773 James (Althorpe)

However, at the same time that James Cocking was being baptised in Althorpe, a James & Ann Cockin were baptising children in Luddington:

1776 Mary Easton Cockin – died same year
1777 Robert Cockin – died same year

Unfortunately I'm not sure what happened to James & Ann after this, but it does seem to establish that James was a name that ran through this branch of Cockins.

Returning to William the miller b1790, he had several children in Luddington, but by 1819 had moved to London where he became a victualler & licensee of the Crown & Anchor on Paul St, Finsbury.   

His son James Cockin (born 1815) was buried at St Andrew, Holborn on 4 Mar 1819. 
Another son, William Henry Cockin b1823, was buried in 1824 at St Botolph, with the address given as “Little Brittain”

William & Elizabeth entered the Licenced Victuallers Asylum on Asylum Road, Old Kent Road in 1858, with William dying there 4 Dec 1864, and Elizabeth 22 Mar 1871.

A William Cockin with land at Loddington has been mentioned previously & is almost certainly part of the same wider family - reply #1  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=747759.0