Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 156406 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 October 16 01:17 BST (UK) »
At the risk of sending everyone off on a wild goose chase, I think the Cockins of Luddington, Lincs may be worth a closer inspection. 

The bondsman for George Hood's marriage was a miller, and I noticed that in the same year there was a James Cockin Jr baptised to William & Elizabeth Cockin in Luddington.  William was a Miller.

Tracing him back I believe William was baptised at Luddington on 01 Feb 1790, the son of William Cockin & Sarah Maw who married in 1788, and that William Jr married Elizabeth Gelder in 1810.

Taking it back a generation further, William Sr's parents could be either:
a) Robert Cockin X Elizabeth Gibson, 1760, Luddington, (I believe Elizabeth was local)
    1762 William
    1764 Robert   

b) William Cockin X Elizabeth Leggott, 1756, Belton In Axholme
    1757 William
    1767 Elizabeth (Althorpe)
    1773 James (Althorpe)

However, at the same time that James Cocking was being baptised in Althorpe, a James & Ann Cockin were baptising children in Luddington:

1776 Mary Easton Cockin – died same year
1777 Robert Cockin – died same year

Unfortunately I'm not sure what happened to James & Ann after this, but it does seem to establish that James was a name that ran through this branch of Cockins.

Returning to William the miller b1790, he had several children in Luddington, but by 1819 had moved to London where he became a victualler & licensee of the Crown & Anchor on Paul St, Finsbury.   

His son James Cockin (born 1815) was buried at St Andrew, Holborn on 4 Mar 1819. 
Another son, William Henry Cockin b1823, was buried in 1824 at St Botolph, with the address given as “Little Brittain”

William & Elizabeth entered the Licenced Victuallers Asylum on Asylum Road, Old Kent Road in 1858, with William dying there 4 Dec 1864, and Elizabeth 22 Mar 1871.

A William Cockin with land at Loddington has been mentioned previously & is almost certainly part of the same wider family - reply #1  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=747759.0

Hello Jomot

Thank you very much.

George Hood's Bondsman Chester Newby was a Miller.

Son, William Hood, Brewer, married Jane Casson (born Thorne) 23 December 1851 and her father Curtis Casson was a Miller.

Cockin family, Luddington - Millers

Also trying to work further back, with a lot of help from Claire (Richard Gibson thread), re Letitia Gibson "Cousin" aged 18 in the Hood household at Leicester 1881 Census.

Regards Mark

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 23 October 16 10:12 BST (UK) »
Meant to add that other than London, all of the locations follow the river.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 07 November 16 08:43 GMT (UK) »

William COCKIN of the parish of Snaith bachelor and Ann ROBINSON of this parish (Hatfield) spinster

married after Banns 12 June 1830 by Thomas Fox, minister

William Cockin signed, Ann Robinson left her mark

Witnesses: John ? ? -orth and William COOKE

The Will of Ann Robinson of Selby - 1821 to 1823 might be interesting?

And this marriage (previously mentioned) 12 June 1830 after Banns at Hatfield.
William COCKIN of Snaith married Ann ROBINSON

Hi

Thanks Claire for your reply.

I'm sure, I have put some info about the Matthew Hood of Selby (d.1717) AND the claim found on Flickr, which also has photos of Robson/Robinson graves at various places and the Flickr author is claiming to descend from, or be linked to Matthew Hood of Selby.

I will add as an Edit here ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/foxtree1/20770860885

Also we have this James Cookin signing as a witness to the George Hood = Sarah Russell, 1815 Selby Marriage.

EDIT: I have asked Selby Abbey about the other surnames of interest Robinson / Cockin / Cook(e) / Wilkinson.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 07 November 16 09:37 GMT (UK) »

May be worth trying to make a family tree of sorts - of the Hoods we can locate in the early Selby registers from what resources we can all find, and follow them forward to see how that pans out.
I seem to recall quite a few of them from looking.
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 07 November 16 10:14 GMT (UK) »

May be worth trying to make a family tree of sorts - of the Hoods we can locate in the early Selby registers from what resources we can all find, and follow them forward to see how that pans out.
I seem to recall quite a few of them from looking.

Hello Claire

I did this a while back, I'll need to tidy it up, before posting it here, later.

Seems nearly all the Hood males at Selby died out, with the exception of Samuel Hood, buried Thorganby.

Later at Thorganby, is a burial of Mary TATE HOOD, wife of Thomas Tate Hood, Labourer 21st May 1781, but that did not seem to lead us anywhere.

Although the Hoods had Church weddings, I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps a Hood Birth somewhere, was a Quaker registration.

We need to perhaps consider a visit to Leeds, who have suggested looking through the Quaker Meeting notes too and suggested allowing quite some time, for a careful search.

Due to limited time on answering questions they did confirm, George Hood does not have a Quaker Birth registration, nor a Quaker burial at Selby.

I'm still having my searches done at Newcastle, though.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 07 November 16 10:15 GMT (UK) »
William Cockin third child of Aran and Ann Cockin bpt 16 Feb. 1806, born: 3 Jan. 1806
Hatfield, father a labourer of Stainforth.

No marriage I can see for the parents just a record of the Banns
Araan Cockin of Hatfield Parish and Ann Wilkinson of the parish of Everton, November 1797.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 07 November 16 10:39 GMT (UK) »
William Cockin third child of Aran and Ann Cockin bpt 16 Feb. 1806, born: 3 Jan. 1806
Hatfield, father a labourer of Stainforth.

No marriage I can see for the parents just a record of the Banns
Araan Cockin of Hatfield Parish and Ann Wilkinson of the parish of Everton, November 1797.

Hello All

Thanks Claire, that is fantastic.

Wilkinson is probably of interest too, according to 1813 Knottingley Land Tax.

Perhaps online records just missing a link to my George Hood somewhere?

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 09:07 GMT (UK) »

William COCKIN of the parish of Snaith bachelor and Ann ROBINSON of this parish (Hatfield) spinster

married after Banns 12 June 1830 by Thomas Fox, minister

William Cockin signed, Ann Robinson left her mark

Witnesses: John ? ? -orth and William COOKE

The Will of Ann Robinson of Selby - 1821 to 1823 might be interesting?

And this marriage (previously mentioned) 12 June 1830 after Banns at Hatfield.
William COCKIN of Snaith married Ann ROBINSON

Hi

Thanks Claire for your reply.

I'm sure, I have put some info about the Matthew Hood of Selby (d.1717) AND the claim found on Flickr, which also has photos of Robson/Robinson graves at various places and the Flickr author is claiming to descend from, or be linked to Matthew Hood of Selby.

I will add as an Edit here ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/foxtree1/20770860885

Also we have this James Cookin signing as a witness to the George Hood = Sarah Russell, 1815 Selby Marriage.

EDIT: I have asked Selby Abbey about the other surnames of interest Robinson / Cockin / Cook(e) / Wilkinson.

Regards Mark

Staffordshire Advertiser 8th January 1842

Newcastle Quarter Sessions

Francis Robinson Hood, an Apprentice appeared as a witness.

I wonder if this is a possible reference to the ROBINSON HOOD link and how far that names goes back please, or was it from his parents marriage?

A Francis Robinson Hood was still alive in 1851 as there was a later Deed of Assignment mentioning him in a London newspaper.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 09:31 GMT (UK) »
A baptism: Nuneaton, Warwickshire.

Francis Robinson HOOD baptised 6 Devember 1822, born 10 Nov. 1822 , parents James and Charlotte Hood.

Father a ribbon manufacturer
Abode: Abbey Street, Nuneaton.