Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 156389 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #603 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 23:12 BST (UK) »

NO Hoods in Selby in the Hearth Tax 1671 ?

I would have thought there would be.
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: Thursday 06 July 17 10:16 BST (UK) »
For the purpose of elimination here's some surnames from Sarah's parentage (including step father Wilkinson)

Arundel - Grandparents:            George ARUNDEL and Hannah EYRE
               Grt grandparents:      Joseph EYRE and Hannah PYGOT
                                               Mathew ARUNDEL and Ann JACKSON

Wilkinson   "step" grandparents  Edward WILKINSON and Margaret TWIST
                    "gt  grandparents  John TWIST and Rebecca CRABTREE
                                                William WILKINSON and Jane ??

and just to put James' parentage here for future reference (obviously only from the Russell side)

Russell     Grandparents            William RUSSELL and Mary BURTON
               Gt grandparents         John RUSSELL and Martha HOTCHSON
                                              Edward BURTON and William SILVERWOOD

From Part 3 of the George Hood Burial where? ...  thread (now completed)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=742806.msg5964598#msg5964598

Quote from Goughy Reply #174 of 08 November 2015

Hi Mark

I thought it would be useful to just put down James and Sarah's  family for "tracking purposes"

Mary Ellen Hood b Selby 1853
Elizabeth Cook Hood b Selby 1854
Adeline Hood b Selby 1855
Sarah Hood b Selby 1856
John Wilkinson Hood b Selby 1858
William Russell Hood b Selby 1861
  [born 1860, registered 1861]
James Alfred Hood b Sunderland  1863
George Arundel Hood b 1865 Selby
Bernard Pearson Hood b 1870 Scarborough

In the 1871 Census, Mary Ellen Hood is staying with a Dobson family in Bowling, Bradford and is stated as "cousin".  The head of household is Thomas Duckworth Dobson b 1829 Wakefield  and his wife Mary Ann b 1833 London, Middlesex.  Thomas Duckworth Dobson married Mary Ann Bateman in 1855 in Selby.

END of QUOTE

Hello

Thanks Claire, only a Hood at Carleton, in the old Yorks Hearth Tax (per book written), but Hearth Tax are too early, I feel.

This property wheeling and dealing involving George Hood in 1838, which William Hood of Selby his Son held in Trust (used by James Collinson) and later offered for sale in 1864 by William Hood the Sole Trustee.

The other former Trustee was Thomas STANDERING, according to a recent document from the Borthwick, attached with Collinson's Will.

Looking at the PCC Will of Thomas STANDERING of Selby (written 1848) his Daughter was Mary BURTON and his Granddaughter was Elizabeth BURTON. William Standering was left a property consisting of about 100 acres on the Levels in the Parish of Hatfield a farm aforesaid on the Levels called Grow[?] Trees.

Looks like GEORGE HOOD might be getting his backing, or connections from STANDERING linked to the RUSSELL and BURTON, side of his 1815 Marriage?

Possibly linked to the Burton Family of Turnham Hall
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/c/F24743

Looks like they have links to Richardson and Robinson etc. ...
https://library.leeds.ac.uk/special-collections-explore/461467

At Lancaster, Mr. Taite, wine and spirit merchant, in York, to Miss Sarah Russell, of Selby.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: Thursday 06 July 17 14:16 BST (UK) »
Makes a change looking in Lancashire records

St Mary Lancaster by Licence 23 April 1803

William Taite a widower merchant of All Saints York, to Miss Sarah Russell of this town.

Both signed.
Witnesses: Mary Higgin, John Higgin and Jane Houseman.

John Higgin married Mary Houseman 1784. He was the keeper of HM Gaol in Lancaster she was of Skerton

Regarding Sarah Russell - given her husband is a widower and his numerous records in the Deeds records, I'm thinking the couple were older rather than younger. There is a baptism of a Sarah Russell in Selby 1768 - daughter of Mr Russell, supervisor ?

Thomas Standering was originally from Thorne. His wife Elizabeth nee Crabtree was the daughter of a Joseph C who was a Tanner from Selby

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: Thursday 06 July 17 15:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm (earlier reply) and Claire

It is amazing a few sentences in the Selby Parish Register for Sarah Russell's descent and how Rootschatters have linked in Thomas Gouldsbrough (confirmed in the Manor of Selby Copyhold records I found in Hull, along with his Will (Borthwick) and the Byefield, Selby documents I purchased from a Dealer) and now Thomas Standering's Will linking him to Mary Burton.

I've got Burton's Book on the History of Hemingbrough and the tree with those Richardson's, at first glance they don't seem to be the same as Sarah Richardson marrying John Hood (my 3 X Gt. Grandfather).

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: Thursday 06 July 17 16:12 BST (UK) »
Edited my post.

We're 'your' Richardsons - watch and clockmakers ? - from Sarah's baptism

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: Thursday 06 July 17 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire

John Hood & Sarah Richardson
Unfortunately, the Father's Name and Occupation on their 16th August 1846 St Marys Church Sculcoates Marriage are both blank.

When Sarah Hood (nee Richardson) died 13th June 1886, she was 66 years old, so she would be born about 1820 (Selby).

I should be very interested to see Sarah Richardson's father was a Clock Maker?

Standering and Burton
Standering and Burton, Ousegate, Selby, were Wine and Spirit Merchants in William White's 1837 Directory, later becoming Standering and Burton Limited of Selby.

George Hood of Selby
This might explain why George Hood acquired a load of property in Ousegate in 1838, I know at least part of the property was kept in Trust by the Hoods and used by James Collinson.

I'm wondering if the other part of the Ousegate properties acquired by Hood in 1838, might have been used by Standering and Burton.

I could never understand why George Hood purchased a part of Ousegate, because he was already set up with Wren Lane and 4/5ths share of a House (divided into three) in Gowthorp with Yards, Buildings, Garden and Orchard. George Hood acquired the last 1/5th before he died.

Pitt and Pearson
Interesting that a George PEARSON was in a similar Wine Trade etc?

George Pearson left the partnership in 1838.

Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: Thursday 06 July 17 20:47 BST (UK) »
Mark
When I sent you the Cemetery plot plan, you will see the 3 Hood graves are in the same area as the Standering/Burton/Richardson graves.  If you remember I noticed it when a colleague was sharing his research on the Standering/Burton family.  I'll ask if he'll email his findings (I did listen to his presentation but got distracted when he put up the cemetery plan!)

I haven't yet made a connection between your Mary Burton's (who marrried William Russell) father Edward and the Burton's who married into Standering family (i.e. Mary Burton married Thomas Standering in 1826)  Edward was a wheelwright, and if I remember on the searching I did last year when he died he was a wood dealer (can't remember which thread that would be on)
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: Thursday 06 July 17 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Goughy

Thank you, I would appreciate any help, it would be useful to see if Thomas Standering (Ship Builder);  'Standering and Burton' (Wine and Spirit Merchants) and the Burtons mentioned in Thomas Standering's Will, are the same Burton family linked to Sarah Russell?

I noticed that the John, Sarah and infant Alice Annie Hood graves in Selby Cemetery were adjacent to a number of Standering, a Carr? and several Goldsborough graves, etc.
Hannah Richardson was on the Hood Headstone, you kindly photographed.

I added a bit about Pitt and Pearson (George Pearson), also Wine, Spirit, Tea, Coffee Merchants.

Regards Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: Thursday 06 July 17 21:28 BST (UK) »
Just dropping information so it's not lost in threads again as I can't find thread I put it on before

Edward (Mary Burton's father who married Wiliam Russell) was son of Thomas Burton Roper Selby and his wife Jane
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)