Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 158814 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #855 on: Monday 23 October 17 12:37 BST (UK) »
The most logic thought to mind;- George Hood came to Selby 1812 by reading in newspapers about Richard Gibson's bankruptcy, attracted by the thought of picking up a falling business to turn around into a recovery stock, he guessed the business premises, cooper tooling and a need for a cooper in the township of Selby would be still there.(Only one cooper in Selby 1800 Mountain Directory was Richard  Gibson) This would explain why your near exhausted research possibilities of finding George Hood circa birth year 1785/7 origins became impossible (Your words above reply# 852)

About same year 1800 R Gibson advertised for a Cooper- (business was good- Thinks George) too early for George then to apply ! but George would have been about 15 years old in 1800 and could have read the advert in his early apprenticeship as a cooper. Seven years later, George reads about Richard Gibson is Bankrupt stated in most national newspapers over 3 years till R Gibson 1810 certificate issued.

Young George age 15 in 1800 had got plans to make a future for himself and he did. To venture out with seeming no real family history suggests he was an orphan or illegitimate born in a workhouse or poor beginnings in a parish educated by the parish to a trade. Hence his quest  to learn and push to make something of himself.

To make something of oneself is a noble quest in its own right even if only humble and something to be proud of in an ancestor than carrying on a trade or wealth of forefathers successes.   
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: Monday 23 October 17 13:50 BST (UK) »
To make something of oneself is a noble quest in its own right even if only humble and something to be proud of in an ancestor than carrying on a trade or wealth of forefathers successes.

Agree Dobfarm.  I have  an "illegitimate" agricultural labourer. As an adult he became pals with the local schoolmaster, and after work on an evening had lessons.  He then became a schoolmaster.  Seizing an opportunity in business he became a book keeper  in a brewery and ended-up being the managing director and amassed great wealth.   He went on to be an Overseer of the Poor, and the only Mayor of Sheffield ever elected three consecutive terms.  His obituary described him as "an architect of his own fortune".  He never forgot his humble beginnings though.  Am I  proud of him, yeh!
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: Monday 23 October 17 14:11 BST (UK) »

Agree Dobfarm.  I have  an "illegitimate" agricultural labourer. As an adult he became pals with the local schoolmaster, and after work on an evening had lessons.  He then became a schoolmaster.  Seizing an opportunity in business he became a book keeper  in a brewery and ended-up being the managing director and amassed great wealth.   He went on to be an Overseer of the Poor, and the only Mayor of Sheffield ever elected three consecutive terms.  His obituary described him as "an architect of his own fortune".  He never forgot his humble beginnings though.  Am I  proud of him, yeh!

I agree also George becoming or trying to become an overseer of the parish of Selby is a good indicator he may have felt a need or he wanted to give back something to a parish admin with thought of his beginnings and importance of the service the parish with what they did for young children later teenagers education.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: Monday 23 October 17 16:48 BST (UK) »

I agree also George becoming or trying to become an overseer of the parish of Selby is a good indicator he may have felt a need or he wanted to give back something to a parish admin with thought of his beginnings and importance of the service the parish with what they did for young children later teenagers education.

Thank you.

All very good points.

George Cook?
George Pearson?

Father or Grandfather a Hood and take the name Hood.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: Monday 23 October 17 17:19 BST (UK) »
Guardians of the Poor of the Parish of Selby Election 1837

William Massey
Joseph Dobson and
John Foster
were elected Guardians of the Poor in the Parish of Selby by a majority of Votes the number of votes for the Several Candidates being as follows, that is to say, for ...

Signed John Adams and Thos Leaper, Overseers

--------

George Hood was elected at Selby in 1838

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hello

1789 Selby Window Tax

Looks like Ms Esthill Spinster and underneath D'u[?]  [for?] "hoody"

There was a Moody elsewhere, but the first letter does not look like a capital M or H?

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 19:51 BST (UK) »
Look at Matt ?etson
Same as ?oody

Look at the writers H in W'm Hancroft or Hawcroft last name bottom of list so don't think its Moody or Hoody

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 21:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm

Agree, doesn't look like M or H.

Nothing under Esthill (Proprietor & Occupier) p.3, 1790 Selby Land Tax.

Thought Matt, might be Matt Nelson, but Noody would be odd.

Film 2093712 on FS Catalogue.
16. Window Tax 1788 images 716 to 730.
17. Window Tax 1789 images 731 to 744.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: Thursday 26 October 17 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

One particular pdf has references to Richardson, Hord, Massey, Hutchinson, Casson, Wilkinson, etc., links to this site
http://www.pennyghael.org.uk/genealogy.htm

The author of the site suggests the following, so awaiting a copy ...

Biographical Dictionary of British Quakers in Commerce and Industry 1775-1920 624 A4 pages, ... 2,800 entries. Indexes of occupations, places, apprentice masters and schools attended. Eight appendixes. Over 50 pages of illustrations. ... Edward H. Milligan

There was a Hutchinson Trust in the mid 1870s, which went back to early 1800s (about 1806) mentioning Selby.

Found the Trustees together in the Will Calendar and hoping to discover more.

George appears separate (family wise), but underneath very much linked (property / business wise) with Hutchinson, Massey and others and obviously his Son John Hood by marriage to a Richardson in 1846, Daughter of a Clock maker.

Mark