Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 158568 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #927 on: Thursday 07 December 17 07:36 GMT (UK) »
And the same Jno Turner to that Chapel 1789 (1790 Late Turner), Chapel possibly Nonconformist (Wesleyan Methodist).

From the 1781 Land Tax records for Selby - Jno Turner - PRESBYTERIAN Chapel.

claire

Good Morning

Thanks Claire

Archbishop Drummond's Visitation 1764 (reference to Brayton and John Smith, Jun'r at Hambleton - Methodists and at Barlow a Chapel of Mr Hook of Carlton, near Snaith). Services alternating between Selby and Brayton.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=5C5JxqzNpZ4C&pg=PA85&lpg=PA85&dq=Presbyterian+brayton&source=bl&ots=xiaIqYYQE9&sig=b7XRcVymuqh-rd4qQcRRPuxMF8U&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwinnL2KsPfXAhVOyKQKHclSCc84BRDoAQgKMAI

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: Thursday 07 December 17 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have a Will of John Turner of Hambleton dated 1738, he is possibly John Turners father or grandfather. He bequeathes to his son George Turner and to his heirs forever 'one close of meadow or pasture ground lying in the Lordship of Hambleton aforesaid or known by the name of ( it looks like) Cansey Close'. - wonder if it's the same place ?

Looking back at the posts, Christopher Obee was one of the trustees named in a property transference. Christopher Obee & his family were Wesleyan Methodists. When Obee married, one of the witnesses was Benjamin Hemingway - isn't he also listed as being at that chapel ?

Claire

Hello

Claire, please can you elaborate on the bit highlighted bold?

Somewhere, (even searched my pc etc.), I don't know where, I have read that a house of John Turner's in Millgate, Selby, transferred to the Trustees circa 1785 and this became the first Wesleyan Meeting House at Selby circa 1785.

Mountain's History of Selby, 1800
Methodist Meeting House in Millgate, errected about the year 1785.

John Adams another name connected to the infamous George Hood used the old Wesleyan Methodist Chapel as a Flax warehouse afterward.

The Hon. Edward Peters [Peters is an error, should be Hon Edward Petrie] of Stapleton Park, presented the Methodist Society at Selby with a piece of ground for the purpose of building a Chapel on the Wesleyan Plan  - Hull Packet, 3rd December 1816

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: Thursday 07 December 17 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark,

You mentioned C Obee on reply #913 ( a few pages back)

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: Thursday 07 December 17 21:21 GMT (UK) »

Found this on Rootsweb

I believe that Jonathan ROBINSON took over the farm from Thomas ROBINSON, who may have been his brother...
Although there's no listing for Jonathan on the IGI, I found some cached information on Jonathan of Pallathorpe, which is no longer on the Net. Jonathan and several others were involved in the Wesleyan movement later on:
Extract from 'Notices of Wesleyan Methodism in Selby 1744-1892' published 1892
The Millgate Chapel
In 1786 the infant Society had gathered strength enough to purchase a site for a Chapel when, for the consideration of £110, Charles TURNER and his wife transferred on 5th April 1786 a house in Millgate to Alexander MATHER, of the City of York, gentleman.
On the 9th October, in the same year, Alexander Mather transferred the property by deed to the following trustees:
Thomas DODGSON, miller; Thomas ROBINSON, common brewer; and Alban HOLMES, apothecary, all of Tadcaster.
Jonathan ROBINSON of Pallathorpe, Yorkshire; Richard WILKINSON of Oxton; Matthew SKILBECK of Healaugh; John CORNER of Acaster; Robert BIRDSALL and William ALLEN of Church Fenton; John DUNN of Barlby; and Christopher OBEE of Selby - all described as yeomen.'

Thanks Claire

I couldn't even remember posting it !

Presbyterian ; Wesleyan Methodists (History and Antiquities of Selby, Morrell 1867)
https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/the_history_and_antiquities_of_selby.html?id=kKwTAAAAYAAJ&redir_esc=y

I should like to get my hands on ...
Notices of Wesleyan Methodism in Selby 1744-1892 published 1892

Searching for the above publication, at least one of the search returns might be corrupt, gives warning bleeps and wants you to click an update.

I never click these type of links.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: Friday 08 December 17 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Some interesting replies in response to the names in the image regarding Selby Wesleyan Methodists.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756955.msg6249901#msg6249901

The first Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1785 at Selby, but no records were kept of their efforts, according to Morrell's History and Antiquities of Selby (1867) page 263.

Also William Wilberforce Morrell (Wesleyan Methodist) married Jonathan Hutchinson's daughter Lydia Hutchinson (Quaker).
http://www.fachrs.com/private/Information/Bank%20Managers/YER001%20William%20Wilberforce%20Morrell%20combined2.pdf

Added: Just realised  ...
The Son was John Bowes Morrell, who the J. B. Morrell Library at York University is named after. (NEXT to the Borthwick Institute).

Any surviving Morrell of Selby records might have been right under my nose!

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: Saturday 16 December 17 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Might be nothing, but ...

William Brooke of Selby (Shipping Agent) was linked to Ship Master, John Hood, 1778.
1778 image ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731922.msg5769089#msg5769089

Mary Brooke claimed to have married into the Firman's of Selby / Brayton (Mother of Brooke Firman).
https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Brooke-1763

Documents Acquired
Firman and Pearson of Selby (and Ireland) were Brothers ...

Will of Richard Peirson (alias Pearson) of Selby 7th June 1724 confirms his Brother was Thomas Firman.
also reference to Memorial Registered Wakefield 12 April 1733 EE page 596 et Numb 872.

PEARSON is a surname of interest.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: Sunday 17 December 17 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Wm White, 1837
Selby Alphabetical [Residents]
P.707 Hood Jno. Tanner, Gtp [could have own listing, whilst training to get his name known]

Trades Part
P.708
Brewers And Maltsters
Hood Geo. Wren Lane

P.710
Tanners
Hood Geo. Gowthorp
Jackson Mary, Gtp

--------

Some of George Hood's grandchildren (by James Hood, George Hood's son) carried surnames in their middle names, named after earlier generations.

One carried COOK (Elizabeth Cook Hood), being named after ?
One carried WILKINSON (John Wilkinson Hood) linked to James wife Sarah - Sarah's side.
One carried RUSSELL (William Russell Hood), being the maiden surname of George Hood's wife, Sarah (Sarah Russell).
One carried ALFRED (James Alfred Hood) Alfred, either a surname or forename.
One carried ARUNDEL (George Arundel Hood), being James Hood's wife Sarah Hood (nee Arundel)
One carried PEARSON (Bernard Pearson Hood)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

This looks interesting

A George Hood  Knottingley 1813 land tax. -- Property owner George Wilkinson.

Death cert
Possible father of John Jackson Shoemaker (Tanner/Leather worker) Beaghall (Beal) bapt 1761 dad William - John Jackson died 1838 aged 77 picking pears Beaghall (beal)

England Marriages, 1538–1973

birth:

marriage:

2 June 1755

York, England

spouse:

Frances Barnard
~~~~~~~~-------------------------------
Frances  Barnard  1725  1755  Ledsham  Ledsham PC  William 
x   x
William  Jackson  1725  1755  Ledsham  Ledsham PC  Frances 

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/results/world-records/yorkshire-archbishop-of-york-marriage-licences-index-1613-1839?firstname=william&firstname_variants=true&lastname=jackson&yearofbirth=1725&yearofbirth_offset=2&eventyear=1755&eventyear_offset=2

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/results/world-records/yorkshire-archbishop-of-york-marriage-licences-index-1613-1839?firstname=frances&firstname_variants=true&lastname=barnard&eventyear=1755&eventyear_offset=2
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: Sunday 17 December 17 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dave

Thanks. Don't quite follow yet.

The only thing I know about Mary JACKSON (retired Tanner 1851) of Gowthorpe, Selby, was that she was born GRANTHAM, Lincolnshire about 1786.

In 1861 her Daughter was Mary JACKSON, born ACKWORTH, Yorkshire, living with her, at Gowthorpe, Selby.

In 1861 Sarah HOOD, Tanner, age 41, Widow, born Selby, was living adjacent to Mary Jackson and her Daughter, Mary Jackson.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: Sunday 17 December 17 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dave

Thanks. Don't quite follow yet.

The only thing I know about Mary JACKSON (retired Tanner 1851) of Gowthorpe, Selby, was that she was born GRANTHAM, Lincolnshire about 1786.

In 1861 her Daughter was Mary JACKSON, born ACKWORTH, Yorkshire, living with her, at Gowthorpe, Selby.

In 1861 Sarah HOOD, Tanner, age 41, Widow, born Selby, was living adjacent to Mary Jackson and her Daughter, Mary Jackson.

Mark

Jackson Tanners Selby

Baines's Directory and Gazetteer Directory of 1822.

Tanners and Leather Dressers,

•Hartley John, Gowthorpe
•Jackson Richard, Gowthorpe
-------------------------------------------
Pigot's Directory of 1829

Tanners,

•Hartley John, Gowthorpe
•Jackson John, Gowthorpe

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth