Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 156393 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #999 on: Sunday 16 September 18 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hello

David Swann & William Hood witnesses, to the George Newby, Marriage at Snaith in 1802 (both of the couple were from Baln).

Regarding a David Swann of Balne ...

Agreement of Sarah and David Swann, farmers, of Balne, with George John Yarburgh, to rent lands in Balne on annual basis, at £137 per annum

Snaith St Lawrence have a Burial for David Swann of Baln, aged 80 years, 14th May 1824.

----------

George John Yarburgh of Heslington Hall, in the county of York.

Mark

Hello

John Hood of Selby, Mariner, sailed the Industry 1781 to 1786, was put up for sale by John Dean's Son of Gainsborough. In the Hull Muster Rolls, John Hood went on to sail the Leeds Packett and Leeds Packet, Hood in the newspapers was sailed by DEAN after Hood.

According to the newspapers, they also say Jane, Hood, so John Hood of Selby, Mariner, looks to be sailing the Jane before he goes on to sail the larger Centurion ship 1788 to 1790, where John Hood of Selby is sailing to Europe and Russia.

I've long suspected that the vessel Jane sailing from Hull (1780s) was Staniland's of Thorne.

----------

Anyway to cut a long story short according to a Notice dated Thorne, April 8, 1789. Mes. Staniland, Wharfinger, Thorne Quay, (in conjunction with the River Dunn Company Warehouse), were trading as Partners:-

James Staniland
Thomas S. Swann
Robert Staniland
James Staniland, Jun.

James Staniland and Co.

Incidentally the River Dunn Company had its own coinage / tokens ...
Lot 622, Dix Noonan Webb (2 October 2013)
https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/past-catalogues/results.php?auction_id=285&layout=list&offset=600&limit=24

----------

I have a second-hand 1829 Lease of William Staniland of Selby re property at Brayton and Staniland's Seal is identical to the lower half of George Hood's Seal (4 legged, thin legs, Trippant), so I can never rule out Staniland, who has several vessels including one called Jane.

Vessel owners are known to name them after their family members.

-----------

Also, Richard Pearson Shipbuilders at Thorne, with a Collinson, partner.

Gilderdale, Pearson and Company, Ship Builders. 
Collinson, Pearson and Company, Timber Merchants. 

Can't quite join all the dots yet, but it may be, I'm barking up the wrong tree with Staniland. I await Dean's Will with interest.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: Sunday 16 September 18 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Oh I am so excited  ;D  ;D following on from my last two updates regarding John/Joseph DEAN of Gainsborough and the James STANILAND of Thorne, all Wharfingers.

The 1829 William Staniland Lease I have says:-

Parties bounding:-
Mrs Ann Hartley or Mrs Ann Startley
Mr Thomas Ottley
late of JOSEPH DEAN but now of William STANILAND
Mr James Poppleton
and some of the other names mentioned.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=768921.msg6212987#msg6212987

Although it does not confirm a link between John HOOD of Selby, Mariner and my confirmed documented ancestor George HOOD of Selby yet, William STANILAND has acquired some of the property of a JOSEPH DEAN and this might be the same Joseph DEAN of Gainsborough (his Father John DEAN of Gainsborough), who I'm currently looking into, (after the 1781 John HOOD & Martha DEAN, Scarborough Banns)

-----------

John HOOD of Selby, Master Mariner, working for vessel owner John DEAN of Gainsborough (vessel Hull based), was one of four Sloops offered for sale by Heir, Joseph DEAN. Then next John HOOD of Selby, Mariner, is briefly sailing a vessel owned by STANILAND.

Still some more dots to join and more research, but very interesting to see other links, possibly links which might go back to around the time of George Hood's Birth (1780s)!!

I saw the 1829 Lease for Sale and something deep inside my head was saying I should buy this old Deed, mentioning William Staniland of Selby and I just wonder if it was another name mentioned by Grandma when I was a boy and sub-consciously it was hidden in my brain drawer, but don't know.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: Monday 17 September 18 11:46 BST (UK) »
Ships 'Industry' and 'Leeds Packet' (Packett) 1785 to 1787

Did either ship dock in Newcastle/Gateshead Sept 1786 en-route to another port

( Its difficult to believe an east coast ship only visited Hull to London and not visit Newcastle or east Scotland ports)

George Hood son of John Hood baptism 1786 Gateshead was an only child baptism by a John Hood +/- 10 years ( could be an indicator George was a son of a visiting John Hood [mariner ?] to the area--Clue ?))

-----
Marriages

John Hood widower of Scarborough  to Sarah Hammond widow  1778 (London) (Sarah could have died 1778 to 1781)
or
John HOOD (widower ??) & Martha DEAN, Banns, Scarborough - 1781.

(Dean surname as Ships  'Industry' and 'Leeds Packett' owner sounds a clue)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: Monday 17 September 18 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Some interesting developments (in brief) regarding John Hood of Selby (born Scarborough), Mariner and the JOHN HOOD & MARTHA DEAN, 1781 Marriage Banns at Scarborough, but no Scarborough St Mary's Marriage entry in the Parish Register.

John DEAN of Gainsborough was the Owner of John HOOD's Sloop Industry sailing from Hull and also owned the Gainsborough Calvinist Meeting House too.

More detail and information here ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731922.msg6580252#msg6580252

Mark

Hello All

Thank you dobfarm, our thoughts too.

This is a line of enquiry, I am pursuing and awaiting a Will  ???

Gateshead Baptism 1st October 1786
The newspaper has Hood sailing 30th September 1786 from Hull to London, whilst this Gateshead Baptism was being performed on 1st October 1786. But I am not ruling anything out.

Industry John Dean of Gainsborough
It seems the owner of the Coaster "Sloop" Industry in the "Hull Trade" was John DEAN of Gainsborough, but no Will (a Master himself born Nottingham - Hull Muster Roll).

Also the Calvinist Chapel at Gainsborough is up for sale with John Dean's Vessels and Houses.

Claire confirms John DEAN baptised Independent Chapel, Nottingham had a Sister called Martha DEAN.

John Hall was part Proprietor of Vessels, with Dean
Some more information from a newspaper Notice dated Gainsborough 8th February 1788, published by Joseph Dean (only Son of John Dean), confirms that the Vessels of his late Father John DEAN late of Gainsborough, are partly owned by John HALL, also a Master.

John Hood & Martha Dean 1781 Banns
Unless it is a terribly unfortunate coincidence, it does look like John Hood of Selby, Mariner, has published Banns at Scarborough in August 1781 intending to marry his vessel owner's Sister - Martha DEAN  ;D  ;D .

John & Martha Dean's Sister was Jane
You might be interested to know John & Martha DEAN also had a Sister called Jane DEAN!

Jane Dean of the Ship Inn, Selby 1800 - Ruled Out
Before anyone else gets excited, we have ruled out the Jane DEAN of the Ship Inn, Selby, in Mountain's 1800 Selby Directory, as a possible for Jane HOOD, buried Selby, 15th August 1803.

Added
John Hood, Mariner of Newcastle
Think I have only found him once sailing the coal boats.

Interesting because he could be John Hood the Hoastman.

The Hoastman of Newcastle were apparently running a coal cartel with the Newcastle coal trade.

Seems they laid on hospitality in pubs with drink to negotiate prices with visiting coal buyers.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 01:44 BST (UK) »
Hello

David Swann & William Hood witnesses, to the George Newby, Marriage at Snaith in 1802 (both of the couple were from Baln).

Regarding a David Swann of Balne ...

Agreement of Sarah and David Swann, farmers, of Balne, with George John Yarburgh, to rent lands in Balne on annual basis, at £137 per annum

Snaith St Lawrence have a Burial for David Swann of Baln, aged 80 years, 14th May 1824.

----------

George John Yarburgh of Heslington Hall, in the county of York.

Mark

Hello

John Hood of Selby, Mariner, sailed the Industry 1781 to 1786, was put up for sale by John Dean's Son of Gainsborough. In the Hull Muster Rolls, John Hood went on to sail the Leeds Packett and Leeds Packet, Hood in the newspapers was sailed
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
]by DEAN [/color]after Hood.
[/b][/color]  ???
According to the newspapers, they also say Jane, Hood, so John Hood of Selby, Mariner, looks to be sailing the Jane before he goes on to sail the larger Centurion ship 1788 to 1790, where John Hood of Selby is sailing to Europe and Russia.

I've long suspected that the vessel Jane sailing from Hull (1780s) was Staniland's of Thorne.

----------

Anyway to cut a long story short according to a Notice dated Thorne, April 8, 1789. Mes. Staniland, Wharfinger, Thorne Quay, (in conjunction with the River Dunn Company Warehouse), were trading as Partners:-

James Staniland
Thomas S. Swann
Robert Staniland
James Staniland, Jun.

James Staniland and Co.

Incidentally the River Dunn Company had its own coinage / tokens ...
Lot 622, Dix Noonan Webb (2 October 2013)
https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/past-catalogues/results.php?auction_id=285&layout=list&offset=600&limit=24

----------

I have a second-hand 1829 Lease of William Staniland of Selby re property at Brayton and Staniland's Seal is identical to the lower half of George Hood's Seal (4 legged, thin legs, Trippant), so I can never rule out Staniland, who has several vessels including one called Jane.

Vessel owners are known to name them after their family members.

-----------

Also, Richard Pearson Shipbuilders at Thorne, with a Collinson, partner.

Gilderdale, Pearson and Company, Ship Builders.
Collinson, Pearson and Company, Timber Merchants.

Can't quite join all the dots yet, but it may be, I'm barking up the wrong tree with Staniland. I await Dean's Will with interest.

Mark
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 02:02 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Some interesting developments (in brief) regarding John Hood of Selby (born Scarborough), Mariner and the JOHN HOOD & MARTHA DEAN, 1781 Marriage Banns at Scarborough, but no Scarborough St Mary's Marriage entry in the Parish Register.

John DEAN of Gainsborough was the Owner of John HOOD's Sloop Industry sailing from Hull and also owned the Gainsborough Calvinist Meeting House too.

More detail and information here ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731922.msg6580252#msg6580252

Mark

Hello All

Thank you dobfarm, our thoughts too.

This is a line of enquiry, I am pursuing and awaiting a Will  ???

Gateshead Baptism 1st October 1786
The newspaper has Hood sailing 30th September 1786 from Hull to London, whilst this Gateshead Baptism was being performed on 1st October 1786. But I am not ruling anything out.
[/color]

Industry John Dean of Gainsborough
It seems the owner of the Coaster "Sloop" Industry in the "Hull Trade" was John DEAN of Gainsborough, but no Will (a Master himself born Nottingham - Hull Muster Roll).

Also the Calvinist Chapel at Gainsborough is up for sale with John Dean's Vessels and Houses.

Claire confirms John DEAN baptised Independent Chapel, Nottingham had a Sister called Martha DEAN.

John Hall was part Proprietor of Vessels, with Dean
Some more information from a newspaper Notice dated Gainsborough 8th February 1788, published by Joseph Dean (only Son of John Dean), confirms that the Vessels of his late Father John DEAN late of Gainsborough, are partly owned by John HALL, also a Master.

John Hood & Martha Dean 1781 Banns
Unless it is a terribly unfortunate coincidence, it does look like John Hood of Selby, Mariner, has published Banns at Scarborough in August 1781 intending to marry his vessel owner's Sister - Martha DEAN  ;D  ;D .

John & Martha Dean's Sister was Jane
You might be interested to know John & Martha DEAN also had a Sister called Jane DEAN!

Jane Dean of the Ship Inn, Selby 1800 - Ruled Out
Before anyone else gets excited, we have ruled out the Jane DEAN of the Ship Inn, Selby, in Mountain's 1800 Selby Directory, as a possible for Jane HOOD, buried Selby, 15th August 1803.

Added
John Hood, Mariner of Newcastle
Think I have only found him once sailing the coal boats.

Interesting because he could be John Hood the Hoastman.

The Hoastman of Newcastle were apparently running a coal cartel with the Newcastle coal trade.

Seems they laid on hospitality in pubs with drink to negotiate prices with visiting coal buyers.

Mark

If the "industry' ship took the morning tide on the 30th Sept 1786 from Hull, called at Newcastle/Gateshead first  en-route London that could have put John Hood on the river Tyne on the 1st October 1786

Scenario
If Martha Dean being Mrs John Hood the boat owners daughter and could be a reason she sailed on board with her baby son George Hood who was baptised 1786.

….

Scenario 2

Martha was working in connection to the family Dean's docking office (as an agent for the group of boat/ship firm owners) in Gateshead

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: Friday 21 September 18 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Thank you dobfarm.

I have been looking at the unique 'd' in the signature of my George Hood (top left corner of my Rootschat name) and the 'd' was identical to the one apparently adopted by Martha Mowbray who married the Rev. Robert Hood at Frieston, Lincolnshire 18th July 1782.

Robert Hood's Wife apparently, signs Martha Hood as a witness at the 6th December 1811 marriage at Fleet, Lincs., of Robert Barclay Hood of Holbeach.

----------

Robert & Martha Hood's Daughter, also called Martha Hood can be ruled out by viewing the marriages of (free snippet view at Lincs to the Past, with Flash player):-

1st December 1813 Marriage of Mary Eleanor Hood of Holbeach, wits. Martha Hood; Elspet Hood; R. B. Hood; John Kitchen[?]

30th June 1819 Marriage of Martha Hood of Holbeach, wits. Elspet Hood; Henry Mowbray; Cook Blythe Chapman and John Kitchew[?]

----------

There is something further ... the Rev. Robert Hood of Holbeach for some odd reason is featured in 1783 under "Leeds, December 9."

Might possibly suggest he has a Yorkshire connection, or known / visited Yorkshire.

----------

A Householder who filled out his Household Census Return born Yorkshire in 1841, his parents didn't have to live there, they might just be visiting Yorkshire when the Birth occurred.

----------

My word Martha is having children like a production line! Just checking if there might be room to fit a Birth in!

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: Friday 28 September 18 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Jefferson

We know when John Hood of Selby, Mariner, married at Scarborough in 1763 his Bondsman was John Jefferson and a John Jefferson was also linked to the vessel Industry sailed by John Hood of Selby in the 1780s (owned by John Dean).

Also John Hood ; John Jefferson & E. Craven crop up as witnesses at the marriage of Richard Jefferson, in 1763.

On a search of my pc 'Hood Jefferson' who should crop was 3 different Marriage images (one a book page) of

Richard Hood of Catton, Widower marrying Charlotte Margaret Abel of St Lawrence, York, in April 1810
and the Witnesses were
Jesse Robinson and
Francis Jefferson

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: Saturday 29 September 18 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Looking at local Dean & Hood links.

April 1775 at Kingston upon Hull
Charles Hood married Mary Dean

----------

There was a Charles Hood, Hair-dresser at Hull who had the right to vote at the Beverley Election in 1799.

Seems the three Hoods (all in the 'W.' column)
William Hood, Labourer of Langton [interesting because the 'Roger Hood of Selby' Will ended up at Langton Hall - another Hood mystery?]
Richard Hood, Grocer, Stamford Bridge
Charles Hood, Hair-dresser, Hull
all voted for John Hall Wharton, Esq.
The other Candidate was John Bacon Sawrey Morritt, Esq.

Also noted a Charles Hood buried July 1803 at Hull.

Widow of Charles Hood, Hairdresser was buried in a Vault at the Tabernacle (Independent), at Hull, in 1833. I have full details of that & image.

Mark