Author Topic: Dutton Lindsay  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Katsy8

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dutton Lindsay
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 October 16 23:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Willsy & Sbny This is the only record I did find on a Dutton Lindsay.i have been searching census records for Dutton & his alias William Dononvan to no avail.i was surprised he didn't remain with his brother initially who appears in records in Boston with his wife Bridget.
Would you know if naval personnel who were moving around were recorded in census records?
Many thanks

Offline sbny357

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 October 16 03:04 BST (UK) »
Well, here's a 1900 census record in the Boston area that is consistent in terms of age and invalid status:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M9RH-JW1

I can't tell whether it is him, but perhaps further research would tie him either to a 1910 death record or an earlier occupation consistent with his naval background.

And yes, naval personnel were supposed to be recorded in the census where they were stationed, even if that was on a ship or abroad.

Steve

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 October 16 03:25 BST (UK) »
I think this burial is a match for the death date - http://findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=donovan&GSfn=william&GSbyrel=all&GSdy=1910&GSdyrel=in&GSst=18&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=592255&df=all&  A burial record for Leavenworth indicates that this William was in the US Navy. 

The pension record mentioned above says he was in Western Home as of 1908, so it may be this one - https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/veterans_affairs/Western_Branch.html

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 October 16 03:36 BST (UK) »
There is a record of this William Donovan in the Leavenworth Home for disabled soldiers.  It says he enlisted in the Navy 31 May 1864 in New York, New York and was discharged 15 Apr. 1867 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  He was born Ireland, age 64, 5'8" tall, dark complexion, can read & write, Protestant, occupation - painter, residence subsequent to discharge - Springfield, Illinois, single, nearest relative - none.  He was admitted to the home off and on from 1895 to 1908 and died there in 1910 of a cerebral hemmorhage.  His kind of disability looks like Misc Rheum and Piles.  Above the date of his funeral, it was noted "no relatives".

No mention of him being Dutton Lindsay or any other name.

I found the record here - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9PDB-WGV?i=526&wc=M6NZ-B68%3A203119101%2C203156501%3Fcc%3D1916230&cc=1916230

Offline Katsy8

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 October 16 04:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Steve and Shelly
Definitely food for thought.His brother Nicholas was a Painter in Massachusettes so interesting this William is also noted as a Painter. It's a real puzzler ! He was only 15 on arrival in 1851 so am surprised at not finding anything from the 1855 census

Offline Katsy8

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 23:08 BST (UK) »
Just wanted to update and thankyou all. The Dutton Lindsay alias William Donovan in the Naval records was my Dutton👏👏👏
In his naval file there was unbelievably an 1840 Census showing him as Dutton Lindsay living with his mother in Clonmel Ireland . His orphanage records show he was withdrawn & his siblings remained there sadly as father was deceased.
He changed his name when he enlisted in the Navy in the US in the hope he wouldn’t be separated from his best friend Michael Donovan.
He is buried in the soldiers cemetery in Leavenworth.
A huge thanks to you all for your wonderful guidance in this search.
Many thanks
Kat