Author Topic: Which ship to WW11  (Read 1679 times)

Offline gaygirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Which ship to WW11
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 08:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link - I will try that one.

I have checked the details they sent me from the archives but it doesnt mention the ship but only the date.

Thanks
Reseraching - Gibson Flannagan Chiverton Ellwood Limbrick Hobbs Baldock Law Payne Sanders Cartwright Beard Tanner Hall

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 17:43 BST (UK) »
so I am wondering if anyone else has researched family in this regiment and has found the ship they sailed on for certain.
Because of security measures surrounding Troopships, It is very difficult to tie down the actual vessel an individual sailed on. Troopships, were never mentioned by name on most official documents but were identified by  a code number which changed with every voyage. Regimental War Diaries usually gave this code number.
Likewise there is a lot of conflicting evidence out there. Convoy web is an excellent website but the owner Mike Holdaway would be the first to acknowledge this fact and accordingly doe's not guarantee that his site is 100% accurate.This linked to the fact that many large troopships sailed independently, not in convoy.
Convoy Web says that AQUITANIA sailed from Wellington as an independent on the 15th of Sept 1941. My records and CW says that  JOHAN VAN OLDENBARNEVELT also independently, sailed from Wellington on  8/Sept/1941. So on the face of it if your relative sailed on the 15th it must have been on AQUITANIA.
You can download the movement cards of JOHAN VAN OLDENBARNEVELT
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8658729

And AQUITANIA
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8660924

Again these records can contain errors, and cannot be guaranteed.

You could also  get hold of the vessels Logbooks but in my experience they will not contain details of ports and troop contingents carried.
 Unless you have a personal diary or similar giving the name and date of the ship he sailed on I Think the best you can say at this time, given the evidence to hand. Is that in all probability the ship was AQUITANIA.

Attachment taken from the British National Archives.  MT40/147
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 18:05 BST (UK) »
When my father was crossing the Atlantic in November and December 1941 on a United States Navy troop ship they heard on the radio Lord Haw Haw announcing that their ship had been sunk.  Perhaps the ship with 5000 British servicemen embarked  had been spotted in a Neutral port?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich