Author Topic: Robert Chalmers & Janet Bartholomew  (Read 2947 times)

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Chalmers & Janet Bartholomew
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah
The marriage Bans for Hugh Mckay and Christian were in Cannongate.

Regards
Moo

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 16:17 BST (UK) »
... Roberts occupation was given as a Toll Keeper - whatever that was...

A Toll Keeeper collected road tolls (a charge payable to use a bridge or road) at a Toll Gate/House.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 16:26 BST (UK) »
Moo, to go back to Ev's earlier comment, there may be more than one Christian, with father Robert Chalmers.

Robert and Janet married in 1782 from what you mentioned. Their Christian's christening you have in 1789 in Currie. This fits in order of the children you have for them from 1782 and marriage/banns date. This marriage of a Christian to a Hugh McKay doesn't fit here in this family  :-\

There are other Canongate marriages at that time with father showing as a Robert Chalmers:

Mary 1787 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT1P-W89
Ann 1796 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT1K-YP8

Monica

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Monical

I have found all the births for the children listed above, some of the children having the surname Chambers, I shall look again for a Christian Chalmers marriage. I did wonder at the witness details given as a John Chalmers, I then assumed it was her older brother.

Thank you for the help so far, its always good when new eyes spot what could be an error.

Regards
Moo

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 17:48 BST (UK) »
Moo, one possible couple having children in Uphall, West Lothian at the right time who might as Janet's parents. You mentioned Uphall as being where the banns were read or the marriage took place.

A John Bartholomew and a Christian (showing as Christan - you have to search for it this way or it won't pick it up) Herriot had a number of children in Uphall in mid to 1775 period such as this one https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTPM-2HH

I thought the names might connect with naming pattern for the children of Robert Chalmers and Christian Bartholomew.

No idea how to prove or disprove it really. Guess there was no mention of Christian's parents on the marriage/banns you have from 1782 in Uphall?

Monica

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Monical

My family does appear to stick to the traditional family names, so makes me think you may have the right people at first glance, 1st son John, 2nd son John, that could be both of the male parents, 1st daughter is Christian that's the mothers mothers name sorted, just have to check the rest out and see how it goes. I cannot however find any other Christian marriages at this time :(

Thank you :)
Moo

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 20:46 BST (UK) »
I have found the Marriage Banns for Hugh McKay and Christian Chalmers, but I cannot read what is written for her fathers occupation before the word servant, I am hoping someone would be able to shed some light.

I think it's Brewer's Servant.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 20:48 BST (UK) »
Where was The Abbey?
The Abbey of Holyrood, which is in the Burgh of Canongate*, at the foot (east end) of the Royal Mile.

*Note that it's Canongate, not Cannongate. Canon as in ecclesiastical designation, not cannon as in heavy gun.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Citizen Smith

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 21:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian. That makes sense now.
Kirkcaldy and Dysart: Kinnaird, Brown, McDougall, Page
Burntisland: Brown, Chalmers
Perth: Low
Donegal: Browne, O'Donnell
Montrose: Allardice