Author Topic: Briton Ferry Workingmen's Club & Institution  (Read 783 times)

Offline Josocks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Briton Ferry Workingmen's Club & Institution
« on: Tuesday 04 October 16 21:15 BST (UK) »
Oh Knowledgable Ones,

I have taken a short detour from family history and into looking at the history of the aforementioned.  Newspaper accounts are numerous and forthcoming from which I have gleaned that the local Vicar, Rev John Williams, started the initiative in Dec 1873, with a building having already been identified.  This opened in March 1874 and enjoyed a positive start before moving to the site where it remains today at 135 Neath Road, Briton Ferry in May 1878.  After this, it is well documented locally in newspapers, local surveys, census returns etc.etc.

The thing is, despite the plethora of news accounts of the various shows and concerts at this first site, I can't seem to find anything about where it actually was in those four years.  I've checked some documents and maps but they don't seem to show it and directories from the time don't have it listed.  The only things I can infer from the accounts that I have read is that it has 12 'convenient and spacious rooms' and that it is not already on Neath Road.  The current Steward has no further info.

Does anyone have any suggestions about where I might be able to seek this info, or have any local knowledge that might help?  Photos or connections from any time are also much appreciated.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Briton Ferry Workingmen's Club & Institution
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 23:14 BST (UK) »
Probably won't help but there's this article:
Western Mail October 6, 1874

BRITON FERRY. WORNEN'' CLUB AND INSTITuTL-Dr. Snaith, ipinelpal of ?? College, delivered an, address at the Ctub'house; Shilone road w lat week ...

Sorry-I just left the OCR text as is.

Maureen

Edit: Here's a link:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01iml/

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 03:24 BST (UK) »
 Hi,
following on from MaureeninNy  here is another article which may narrow the building down in Shelone road on a census or an old map

July 1875
Sale of important leasehold property in Shelone road
Britton Ferry (advert is in the last column of the page)
http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3332648/3332652/20/mrs%20bates
 It is occupied by the Workermens club
It has a frontage of 229 feet, so a pretty large property
The  adjoining cottage  is  let to a Mrs Glendining - her surname shouldn't be too hard find in the 71 or 81 census if she is at the same cottage in those years

Kind Regards :)

Edited to add  : There is  an interesting article in 1902  titled "working men's stone laying". It may give you extra history on the club ,it also mentions that it was first held in an old building in Shelone road in 1874.  According to the report, the new clubhouse was built in 1902.  Before that it was held at a house on Neath road. They then bought  another property  in 1902 giving them their required room for their expansion.
Don't know if it's a neighbouring one  and they built on the two combined plots, or they up and moved to the bigger plot on the road(?)http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3346553/3346559/95/stone
There's an old photo of  Shelone  road here https://www.flickr.com/photos/91650295@N04/albums/72157652928193035

It may also be worth  contacting The Neath Antiquarian Society and see if they have any old photos or anything relating to the old club on Shelone rd.
https://archives.wales/findyourarchive/west-glamorgan-archive-service-neath-antiquarian-society-archives/

With an online catalogue search of the archives , I can see Glamorgan archives hold a few deeds from Shelone road , don't know if any of them relate to the building that was leased out to the club.
Kind Regards

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Josocks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 08:38 BST (UK) »
It never ceases to amaze me how you guys can spot in a matter of hours what I've been trawling for for the last two months.  Many thanks for your info - it is exactly what I was looking for.  I will also pay a visit to the Antiquarian Society as per your suggestion.

If any future reader of this post would like a copy of the brief history being currently put together, please use the PM facility to get in touch.

J

Offline Mart56

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 October 16 11:20 BST (UK) »
NB Antiquarians days have changed.  Check the website.
Hare (Pembrokeshire and Glamorgan), Stanford (Glamorgan), Hodgson (Lincolnshire and Surrey), Sugden (Keighley and Worcestershire), Griffiths (Kidwelly and Glamorgan), Collins (Kidderminster), Evans (Cwmavon), Mainwaring (Llanedi and Cwmavon), Rees (Neath), Jones (Resolven), Paddison (Neath), Davies (Crynant), Bevan (Tonna).