Author Topic: Looking for Jonathan Wharmsby in 1881 and 1891  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Jonathan Wharmsby in 1881 and 1891
« on: Wednesday 05 October 16 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Can anyone help me to find someone in 1881 and 1891. I have searched and searched but either I am missing something pretty obvious or he is hiding somewhere.  His name is Jonathan Wharmsby. This is what I have so far:
1911 Jonathan Wharmsby age 41 born Annersley living in Shirebrook with wife Ada and 5 children
1901 Jonathan Wharmby age 31 born Annersley living at 32 Sherwood Rise Kirby with wife Ada and 2 eldest children
These  two facts ( 1911 and 1901)  I am pretty certain about
I can find a birth for Jonathan Wharmsby June 1/4 1870
1871 Jonathan Wharmby age 1 born Annersley living with parents Robert and Sarah Ann
Despite the spelling differences in the name I think this is him. I know when I search that Wharmby is a very common name in this part of the world but later information I have always uses the form of Wharmsby.
Just to confuse things there was also a Jonathan Wharmby born 1871 in Underwood but I can follow his family through to 1901 and it is not the same person.
Would be grateful for any help.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Jonathan Wharmsby in 1881 and 1891
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 16:30 BST (UK) »
1881? New Annesley, house no 68

William U. Wightman    24 - coal miner b Annesley
Emma Wightman    22 - b Selston
William U. Wightman    1 b Annesley
Jonathon Wharmsley    11 - nephew b Annesley
Emma Wharmsley    7 - neice b Annesley

RG11, 3320, 19, 31

Think William is actually William H, as William Henry Wightman marries Emma Wharmsley Wharmsby in 1877

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 16:33 BST (UK) »
Emma still with them in 1891, but not Jonathan

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 16:59 BST (UK) »
Thankyou! I think you have found him. Interestingly Jonathan Wharmsby (Wharmby/Wharmsley) went on to marry Ada Wightman so it looks like they become a very interesting family. I can see I have some more digging to do.

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 17:17 BST (UK) »
As has been said above:

1881 nephew with the Wightman family: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27K-H3CP

I'd have another punt at it, except I'd need more information to know if I were on the right track. e.g. all his childrens names/ages etc. 

e.g. I found a Joseph Walters with wife Ada, who was a coal miner .... with a 1 year old Joseph.  But as I've no idea if they had a Joseph I can't offer it. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:4CFR-Q3Z

That's working on: Bloke name beginning with J, surname beginning W, in Notts, born 1867-1874, coal miner, residence of Notts, wife called Ada.

My "worst find" was my G-grandparents, both with the wrong names entirely (first and last) and it was only obvious as I did know where they lived and the birthplace given for my G-grandmother was very specific and it was only ever 3-4 houses, so it had to be her based on birthplace and age alone (and their location in 1901, which I knew).... I think the transcriber was thinking about other things when he wrote their names down wrongly.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Christening's of Jonathan Warmsby born on 31 March 1870 and Emma Warmsby born 22 March 1874 both children of Robert (a collier) and Sarah Anne Warmsby at All Saints Church  Annesley on 26 March 1880.

NG
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 20:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the christening  records. Although I cannot find a birth for the sister Emma b 1874 I am happy with this as proof that Jonathan had at least one other sibling I hadn't discoverd. In the 1871 census where Jonathan is aged 1 and with parents (Robert and S A - (Sarah Ann)  there is also another child  Elizabeth A aged 3 so born in 1868. I can  find a possibility for her in the 1881 - living with Joseph Wharmsby aged 81 & Hannah aged 67 who looking at their ages are probably grandparents.
Looks like the family of Jonathan Wharmsby split up sometime after the baptism 1880 and 1881 - which was late as he would have been 10 years old.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 20:28 BST (UK) »
The 1891 census gives Emma's place of birth as Conisbrough, Yorkshire,so that's probably her birth registered Mar qtr 1874 Doncaster as Emma Wharnsby.

Maureen

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 22:09 BST (UK) »
I hadn't thought that she might have been born elsewhere but it does like a possibility.
I know when I was first looking through the records to find Jonathan Wharmsby I did come across a newspaper report which described a Robert Wharmbsy being sent to prison for attacking a man with a boulder. I dismissed the story as he was from Conisborough. So now I am wondering - did  they move to Conisborough where the father Robert got himself into trouble and the family with his children being taken in by other family members.  I know just having the same names doesn't prove a thing though and I mustn't let my imagination run away! I will have to do some more checking to see if the dates tally.