Author Topic: United Church of England and Ireland  (Read 4414 times)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: United Church of England and Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 October 16 15:37 BST (UK) »
Discontent with the established church and its privileged position increased, because the church drew its tithes largely from Roman Catholic tenant farmers. In the 1830s agitation against this practice became known as the tithe war.

This is often overlooked when people talk of the Great Famine and the tyranny of Protestant landowners - the Protestant church was also oppressive!  (Sorry, - I'm wandering off topic, but I think it is interesting).
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 October 16 15:43 BST (UK) »
Discontent with the established church and its privileged position increased, because the church drew its tithes largely from Roman Catholic tenant farmers. In the 1830s agitation against this practice became known as the tithe war.

This is often overlooked when people talk of the Great Famine and the tyranny of Protestant landowners - the Protestant church was also oppressive!  (Sorry, - I'm wandering off topic, but I think it is interesting).
Philip

I think you'll find that The Church of Ireland was also very glad to see The Church of England getting out too!

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 October 16 16:17 BST (UK) »
Philip

Not quite accurate. The Church of Ireland was Protestant but equally oppressive at times to all other religions, Protestant and Catholic- Presbyterian, Methodist, Congregationalist, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 October 16 16:41 BST (UK) »
Philip

Not quite accurate. The Church of Ireland was Protestant but equally oppressive at times to all other religions, Protestant and Catholic- Presbyterian, Methodist, Congregationalist, etc.

Indeed but surpressed under the Act of Union....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 October 16 16:46 BST (UK) »
The Church of Ireland, being the 'state' or 'official' church, had the upper hand in many local matters.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!