Author Topic: J Steele,Musselburgh  (Read 3566 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: J Steele,Musselburgh
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 October 16 08:23 BST (UK) »
Cupcake's question likely stems from her other current thread: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756940.0

I had typed by the entry re J Steele, here:
Contract Ticket Number A4073
Mr J STEELE
34, Beach Lane,
Musselburgh N.B.
Mine Pumper, 29 years of age, Scottish
3rd class ticket to MELBOURNE,  In Melbourne to Norman Thomas, Wanburra, Victoria.

The passenger list is readily available here (free to search) :
Hi Everyone following this thread

Here is the link to the passenger list for the Orama arriving at first port (on Australian continent)  Fremantle 7 April 1925  FREE TO SEARCH.
http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=12260780

Here's links to some other Australian threads re Annie Titterington and Jack Steel/e.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=723154.0
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=721742.0
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=721568.0

JM

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 October 16 08:43 BST (UK) »
Musselburgh was Midlothian until regions changed in the 1970's since then it has come under
East Lothian.

The political map of Scotland was completely re-drawn in 1975. All the old counties were swept away (except for ceremonial purposes and the addressing of mail) and new districts and regions were created. Unfortunately many of the new local authorities still use the names of the old counties, even though their boundaries are quite different. This is a never-ending source of potential confusion.

If you are researching family history before 1975, the only relevance of the present local authorities is that they hold some of the archives from their predecessors.

Thus although Musselburgh belongs historically to Midlothian, and all records of Musselburgh folk before 1975 came under Midlothian, the burial records for Musselburgh, for example, will be held by East Lothian now.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 October 16 09:58 BST (UK) »

Hi Forfarian ,

Found the information most interesting. Many thanks.

cc
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 October 16 10:56 BST (UK) »

I have been on Scotlands People again and looked for births 1890/1900:

John STEELE  (68 births)
John  STEEL    ( 133 births ) 
none of these in Musselburgh but, could have been born anywhere in Scotland.

Jack STEELE   none
Jack STEEL     none

cc
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 October 16 11:47 BST (UK) »
If I were you I would try the following.

All males over 21 were given the vote in 1918. So J Steele should be listed in the Register of Electors (Voters' Roll) between then and 1925. If he is, the Register will tell you his forename and should tell you if he had any middle initial.

It should also list other voters (if any) in the household, which may reveal the forename(s) of his father and/or brother(s).

Using this information you should be able to find him in the 1901 or 1911 census, which will tell you where he was born, and allow you to find his birth. From then on, you're motoring.

The snag about this is that the Registers of Electors are not available online, so you would need to find someone who is willing to look them up for you, and to follow the household back in time as far as possible. They can be consulted in various libraries etc in and around Edinburgh.

There is also a possibility that he didn't register to vote, or that he wasn't living with his father or brothers, in which case it's back to the drawing board, I'm afraid.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 October 16 12:25 BST (UK) »

Hi,
     There is a David Steel living in a house at 34 Beach Lane Musselburgh on 1920 Valuation Roll.

Jessie

****ADDED ----Just had to have a look at valuation roll ---  he is a tenant and a brickworker ----- there was a brickworks in Portobello which is just about 2 miles away

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 October 16 12:52 BST (UK) »
There is a David Steel living in a house at 34 Beach Lane Musselburgh on 1920 Valuation Roll.
Could be J Steele's father, then.

If J Steele was 29 years old on 27 March 1925, he must have been born in 1895/6.

Searching the index to the 1911 census on SP for steel*, j*, age13 to 17, other person in household David, produces 17 results including John Steele, aged 15, in Portobello, Midlothian. Portobello is in the next parish to Musselburgh, so this looks promising.

The family is at 7 Eastfield, Portobello, and consists of David C Steele, 39; Isabella, 48; and four children including John, aged 15, apprentice blacksmith in coal mining, born Ayrshire, Dreghorn. Isabella is the mother of 7 children, all living, but John is the last on the page so the other three must be on the next page. I didn't spend another 6 credits to look at them.

I think there is a reasonable chance that this is the J Steele you are looking for.

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 October 16 14:02 BST (UK) »

I had a few credits left at SP there were only two John Steele born in Dreghorn so took a chance on this one - think he is your man.

John Steele born 19 December 1895 Caprinstone Cottage Dreghorn.

father David Cairns Steele mother Isabella Steele ms Bulloch  married 6th June 1890 Coylton Ayrshire

father David Cairns Steele registered birth  his occupation fireclay worker

Jessie

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 07 October 16 14:37 BST (UK) »
Isabella Steele, widow of David Cairns Steele, Fireclay maker, died on 14th June 1944 at 34 Beach Lane, Musselburgh, age 81. Father George Bulloch, Colliery Engineer dec'd. Mother Margaret Bulloch nee Watson dec'd. Informant D Steele, son of 3? Bellfield Avenue, Musselburgh.
This ties in with the info. provided by Forfarian and Jessie.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)