Author Topic: Isaac Robertson - born Kilrenny or Whitehaven  (Read 10719 times)

Offline surfingpiglet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isaac Robertson - born Kilrenny or Whitehaven
« on: Thursday 06 October 16 14:53 BST (UK) »
In doing my paternal Family Tree I have hit a stumbling block.  I and various others of the family have tried to resolve it over the past 30-40 years, with no luck, so maybe someone here can make things clearer.
My Great Grandfather was called Isaac Robertson and as far as we were told by my Grandfather  was a fisherman from Cellardyke.  His wife worked in the Oilskin Factory making clothing for fishermen.

However, when my father, Robert Robertson, explored the family tree in the 1980s he found that Isaac's Marriage Certificate ( married 3.6.1870 at Kilrenny Church), to Elizabeth Dick b.13 Feb 1848, stated that he was English, born 1836 Whitehaven.

Married from Caiplie he was Elizabeth's second husband. Copies of Cencus all say he was born Cellardyke, Kilrenny. We know he moved to Kirkcaldy in later life and died there.

His father was listed as John Robertson b.1814 d.1873. His mother Dinah ( surname unknown ) b. Ceres 1841. In 1871 Cencus both lived in Kilrenny. 

My Grandfather, Dad's Dad was James Dick Robertson b.1889, Kirkcaldy.

The mystery is three fold: What was his Isaac's mother Dinah's surname?
                                      Was Isaac Born in Whitehaven or in the Kilrenny area ?
                                      Either the Marriage Certificate or the Cencus is wrong.

If Whitehaven then why ?  I went to Whitehaven Library in the 1990s and researched them and even with help from the librarian found no trace of them in any Parish Record, Street Index or BMD index.  We wondered if Dinah was from Whitehaven or maybe was a fisherwoman who followed the herring fleets, but without a surname for her I can't research her.

I really would like to know more about my Great Grandfather.  I have his photo which my grandfather carried in his wallet.

Is there anyone out there who knows more about Isaac?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Robertson - born Kilrenny or Whitehaven
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 October 16 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi surfingpiglet

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Have you got a copy of the marriage cert for Isaac and Elizabeth? Scottish marriage certs do not normally show where someone was born only residence at the time of the marriage. If there is an English address for Isaac, he may have been resident/working there at the time he married Elizabeth in 1870.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 October 16 17:15 BST (UK) »
Isaac does show as born in England in at least one census (I haven't checked others). from 1891:

Isaac Robertson 58 news vendor b. England
Isabella Robertson 42 b. Cellardyke, Fifeshire (Elizabeth and Isabella are standard first name variants)
Isabella Robertson 19
Elspeth Robertson 18
Elizabeth Robertson 14
Anna Robertson 12
William Robertson 9
David Robertson 7
Sarah Robertson 5
James Robertson 2

Address: 12 Pages Pend, Kirkcaldy and Abbotshall

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 October 16 17:19 BST (UK) »
A possible christening entry for Isaac https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1

Finding him with parents would help in 1841. Dinah could be a second wife maybe to John. What did Isaac say about his parents on his marriage cert registration? His parents' names should show there.

There is this 1861 census entry in the Whitehaven area https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7P7-711

Monica

Offline westlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 October 16 17:35 BST (UK) »
 hello this could be him Isaac ROBINSON 1837 son of John and Dinah , Holy trinity Whitehaven film 90678, regards westlass

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 October 16 21:25 BST (UK) »
That is a good find Westlass.

A possible 1841 census entry in Whitehaven - everyone showing as born in the county:

John Robinson 45 mariner
Dinah Robinson 50
Sarah Robinson 15
John Robinson 9
Elizabeth Robinson 6
Isaac Robinson 3

Monica

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 October 16 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

There are baptisms for the following as well as Isaac with parents John and Dinah:

William 22 April 1823
Alfred 25 July 1824
Sarah 16 July 1826
Thomas 4 Jan 1829
John 29 May 1831
Elizabeth 10 Nov 1833

And a marriage for a John Robinson and Dinah Edmonson in St Bees 9 Oct 1821. (St Bees is not far from Whitehaven on the Cumbrian coast).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 October 16 22:20 BST (UK) »
Are you sure that Isaac was Elizabeth's second husband? I note that there are baptisms for George Dick 8 Nov 1868 and for John Dick 2 Sep 1866 in Kilrenny. Only the mother is named - Elizabeth Dick. They have the surname Dick in the 1871 census but in 1881 have the surname Scott (presumably their father's surname).

William

Added: The 1871 census states that Isaac was born in Whitehaven, Cumberland.
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 October 16 00:04 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if it's possible Sarah (on 1861 census) could actually be Dinah (transcription error)?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"