Author Topic: Isaac Robertson - born Kilrenny or Whitehaven  (Read 10735 times)

Offline surfingpiglet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Robertson - born Kilrenny or Whitehaven
« Reply #36 on: Monday 15 May 17 12:57 BST (UK) »
Yes - I'm well on the way now.  I was on Scotlands People years ago.  Time is all that is stopping me at present.  I think I can carry on on my own now.  Thanks for your support.
Anne.

Offline surfingpiglet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 02 July 18 18:21 BST (UK) »
Between 1872 and 1882, Isabella, Elspeth, Anna and William Robertson were born in Kilrenny/Cellardyke to Isaac & Elisabeth (Isabella) Robertson who married in 1870 in Kilrenny Church. 

Elisabeth Robertson was born Elisabeth Davidson Dick. and her parents were John Dick and Elspeth Davidson.

Later they had another three children in Kirkcaldy between 1884 and 1889. Those were David, Sarah and my Grandfather James Dick Robertson.

I know what happened to William as he emigrated to Perth, Australia and I have a contact for him there.  He looks very like my Grandfather James.

However, I am sure that there must be relatives of the others still in Fife who may be able to fill in some blanks in my knowledge.

If anyone has photos of any of the above people I would love to see what they looked like and if there was a family resemblance.  My own father looked very similar.  I would love to hear from anyone descended from any of the above too.

Photo of my Grandfather, James Dick Robertson with his wife Jemima Bell.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 02 July 18 19:23 BST (UK) »
To the children of Isaac and Elizabeth/Isabella you can add Isaac John Robertson, b.1875 at Cellardyke.

Harry

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 02 July 18 21:34 BST (UK) »
The baby sadly died aged just 7 days, of convulsions.

Harry

Offline surfingpiglet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 02 July 18 21:40 BST (UK) »
Wow - that's amazing. I thought I had them all.

I see Isaac snr is listed as a Labourer. Later in life I find him as a News Vendor in Kirkcakdy.  So the story that he was a fisherman seems unlikely - unless he was a fisherman between jobs.  I had been led to believe he was a fisherman for part he year and a farm labourer at other times.

Many thanks.

Offline surfingpiglet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 02 July 18 21:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Sad but not unusual  I had also heard there were twins in his family but not found them yet,

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 02 July 18 23:34 BST (UK) »

So the story that he was a fisherman seems unlikely - unless he was a fisherman between jobs.  I had been led to believe he was a fisherman for part he year and a farm labourer at other times.

Many thanks.

A lot of labourers went to the fishing part-time. In the herring season, the "drave", there was a lot of money to be made and plenty fish for everybody.

Harry

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 12:13 BST (UK) »
Between 1872 and 1882, Isabella, Elspeth, Anna and William Robertson were born in Kilrenny/Cellardyke to Isaac & Elisabeth (Isabella) Robertson who married in 1870 in Kilrenny Church. 

Elisabeth Robertson was born Elisabeth Davidson Dick. and her parents were John Dick and Elspeth Davidson.

I was a bit puzzled by this Elspeth Davidson who married John Dick, so I checked my notes and as I expected, it was actually John Dick and Elspeth Wilson. This couple had sons called David and John. David married Janet Millar and John married her sister Margaret Millar. In the 1881 census of Cellardyke both couples are living in Tolbooth Road, Cellardyke, and they have 11 children between them, so there are plenty of descendants.
Harry

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 13:45 BST (UK) »
This is a photo of the Anstruther steam-drifter "Olive Leaf" with a Cellardyke crew, taken from Peter Smith's "The Lammas Drave and the Winter Herrin'". The man standing 4th from the right is David Dick, son of John Dick and Margaret Millar and a nephew of your Elisabeth Dick or Robertson. It's not very clear but if I enlarge it I won't be able to attach it here.
The skipper of the boat William Smith is standing extreme right. His sister Annie Smith was married to David Dick, and Annie's sister Thomasina Smith was married to David's cousin John Dick! Typical Cellardyke, a' conneckit, as my granny would have said. Her brother John Cunningham, my great-uncle, is standing 2nd from the left in that photo.
Harry