Author Topic: Isaac Robertson - born Kilrenny or Whitehaven  (Read 10668 times)

Offline surfingpiglet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Robertson - born Kilrenny or Whitehaven
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 October 16 01:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks all. Lots of good leads. I believe that Elizabeth s unmarried name was DICK l. She then married  Scott who died leaving her with 2 sons. She then married Isaac. This info is from a descendant of George Scott who is going to look out more info & BMD certificates.  She believes that he may have married a Scott brother too before marrying Isaac.Whisk Scot brothers are unclear. ALEXANDER/George/John. I need to unravel this too.  But meantime I'll follow up the leads given here re Isaac and of Dinah.You've been a great help thanks. 

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 October 16 08:33 BST (UK) »
Just a little more to consider

Christening for a Dinah Edmonson 10 July 1893 in Crostwhaite, Cumberland -parents Alfred Edmonson and Sarah Gilbanks.

Death notice in the Carlisle Journal 3 November 1848 " At Whitehaven Infirmary Mrs Dinah Robinson widow aged 55 years".

1851 census has an entry mistranscribed as Isaac Rolimon for an Isaac Robinson aged 15 b Whitehaven, a visitor in the household of Patrick Barns in Distington, Cumberland.

1861 there is a census entry for an Isaac Robinson of the right sort of age b England - a soldier at Edinburgh Castle. I cannot see a military record, however to indicate that this could be the same Isaac.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline surfingpiglet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 October 16 19:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.  I'm going to be busy following these leads up and checking they are the same person.  I'd seen a death certificate for a Dinah Robertson in the Poor House in Dunbarton and hoped it wasn't her.  I'll look these new one up and see if any other names on the records tie in.
I am going on holiday from mid week so I may not have internet for a couple of weeks, but will check the board when I get back and later let you know how I get on.  I plan to be back in Fife for 2 weeks in early November so will continue my research then. Thanks for your help.   Anne.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 October 16 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hello. I was interested to read about the Cellardyke Dick branch of your family-tree. I'm a native of Cellardyke, I've written a book about the place and I have been researching local families for many years, with the help of some fellow family-history enthusiasts.

I expect you know already that Elizabeth Dick who married Isaac Robertson in 1870 was the daughter of John Dick and Elspeth Wilson. John was the son of John Dick, a native of Lochgelly in west Fife, and Elizabeth Davidson, who came from Inverness. My guess is that the elder John Dick did his military service at Fort George in Inverness-shire and that they met and married up there. Anyway, they ended up in Cellardyke where both John Dicks were linen weavers. The elder John became town officer in later life, dying in 1869 at the age of 77.

The male descendants of these people were mostly fishermen, and there was at least one successful local skipper called Dick in my younger days. There are many descendants, and I know of one who became a professor of engineering at Dundee University.

I mentioned that Elizabeth Dick's mother was Elspeth Wilson. Her father David Wilson had some adventures during the Napoleonic Wars, as you can read in George Gourlay's Fisher Life; or, the Memorials of Cellardyke and the Fife Coast, which contains a huge amount of information about Cellardyke in the old days.

Isaac Robertson was a labourer at Caiplie at the time of his marriage in 1870. Caiplie was a farm down near the sea shore between Cellardyke and Crail, but houses were built there some years ago. The area is famous for its sea caves or "coves", the biggest of which has carved Greek crosses on the walls, thought to be a relic of Christian missionaries to the local tribes back in the Dark Ages. I had ancestors myself who were farm labourers at Caiplie, at an earlier period than Isaac Robertson.

Just a thought - if Isaac was a native of Cumberland, I wonder if his original name might have been Robinson? On his marriage-certificate the name is given as Robertson but he was illiterate, making his X, and wouldn't have known what the clerk was writing. Robinson would be more likely in England than Robertson.

Harry

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 October 16 20:55 BST (UK) »
Harry, what great background you have provided here for Anne  :)

You are right of course about the Robinson name variant. Some of the registrations show this way for them, including the likely 1841 census entry.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline westlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 08 October 16 21:48 BST (UK) »
Wow MonicaL this is brill , if anyone needs an Edmonson start , I would look at a Matterdale , Greystoke ,  Dockray , they have been around there for hundreds of years , regards westlass

Offline surfingpiglet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 08 October 16 23:05 BST (UK) »
It is my belief that Isaac's father was John Robertson, fisherman, born 3rd June 1814 and baptised 12th June 1814 at Kilrenny.  Married to  Dinah-surname unknown .  That John Robertson's father ( Isaac's Grandfather) would then be John Robertson b 11 Apr 1786 in Abbey, Paisley and married to Grizel Authterlonie/Grizal Ouchterlonie/Grizel Murdoch.  I don't know anything about him though, as yet.  Why Isaac seems to have been born in Whitehaven remains a mystery.

What I have been searching for is a Marriage Lintel which my father showed to me which had the initials of either his grandparents or great grandparents I think. This was at least 30 yrs ago, so it may have gone.  I thought it was Isaac and Elizabeth but I'm not sure at all.

I did find out about David Wilson and his adventures but only through a relative I have connected with in Western Australia.  I have a copy of the blue book about Memorials of Cellardyke & Kilrenny, which was my father's, but I have also recently read the 2 pages in Fisher Life which is more detailed.  I reckon my father, now deceased, had found this out too when he was researching his family in the 1980s, as he used to tell nieces and nephews that one of their ancestors was a pirate and was captured, etc.- when they had to write something about their family history at Primary School.  He added arms and legs to make it a better story for the children I suppose.  Mum always said it wasn't true and Dad had just made it up, but obviously he did know something.

I didn't know though the links to Lochgelly and Inverness.  I have visited Fort George so have a picture of it in my head. Also I am aware of the markings in the Caiple Caves and when time allows want to visit as I am interested in Archaeology and am a member of the Wemyss Ancient Caves  Society and follow their progress from afar as I currently live in England.  I have not yet found the access road I am told exists to the cliff above the caves.  I know you can drive down to Caiple Farm as I have been for a look at the new housing, but also saw it in the 70s when Dad took me down to see the old farm. However it doesn't look like parking would be allowed there - is it a right of way or private land?

Thanks so much for the extra info.    Anne.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 October 16 00:01 BST (UK) »
I used to walk along the seashore from Cellardyke to Crail via Caiplie as a boy but haven't been out there since the houses were built. I've lived in Edinburgh for many years now. Here's a link to the little housing estate.

http://search.savills.com/property-detail/gbedrseds160005#/r/detail/GBEDRSEDS160005

Harry

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 09 October 16 10:33 BST (UK) »
Here's a bit more detail about the Dicks, from my notes.

John Dick and Elisabeth Brown were married in 1789 in Dunfermline. Their son John was born on 17th June (my birthday!) 1792 in Lochgelly, parish of Auchterderran. At some unknown date and place, this John Dick married Elizabeth Davidson, who was born on 21st March 1794 at Moy & Dalarossie, Inverness-shire, to John Davidson and Margaret McGilvray.

Harry