Author Topic: Limber Hill, Egton  (Read 982 times)

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Limber Hill, Egton
« on: Thursday 06 October 16 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am trying to find out about when an ancestor of mine purchased or sold land.  They farmed an area called Limber Hill in Egton Parish, near Whitby.

I have a will transcribed below of my ancestor John Pennock who died in 1742.  I think his connection to land in the Middleton area might take me back further generations as the ealiest date for this family I have is the marriage of the said John to Elizabeth Knaggs in 1694 in Egton.

If anyone can help that would be appreciated.

The will of John is transcribed as best I can here:

PENNOCK  -   IN THE NAME OF GOD AMEN I John Pennock of Limber Hill in the Parish of Egton in the
County of York Mason being in good health of Body and of Sound and perfect mind and Memory praise
be
therefore Given to Almighty God Do make and ordain this my last Will and Testament in manner and …
following (that is to say) first and  principally I … my Soul into the Care of Almighty God hoping
through the merits Deate  unto pafiex of my Saviour … Christ … … will … … and forgive of all my
Sins
and to inherit Everlasting Life and …I … to the Earth to be Decently buried at the Direction of my
Executors … … … and as teiothing kie Disposition of all … Temporal Estate and Garth pleased … … …
to
look upon me I give and dispose … as follows … first I Will that my Debts and funeral charges Shall
be paid and Discharged  … I give and … unto my Eldest son Robert Pennock … … or Tennant with all
the
Closes Lands Grounds and … Situate lying and being in Middleton in the County of York Together with
all houses Outhouses … Buildings … stables Orchards and Garths Gardens and all the Rights numbers
also Appurtenances whatsoever the … belonging … … apportioning And to his heirs and assigns do hold
unto the said Robert Pennock his heirs and assigns for … … I give and devise into my said son
Robert
Pennock all that Mesuages … … … lying and being in Nowton Roils Cliffe and  a Garth and all the
Rights … … A … … … there unto belonging and to his heirs and assigns to hold … … … Robert … … heirs
and assigns … … … Give and … unto my five … Sons William Pennock and Son … …. All that mesuage
house
or Tenement and two little Roamsteads thereunto adjoining now belonging to one Mary Burton During
the term of her natural life and all that farms called Thorney=Whaite Farm with all the Closes
Lands
Grounds … Situate lying and being in Glaisdaile in the parish of Danby and in the … County of York
Together with all Houses Outhouses Edifices Buildings Barns Stables Orchards Yards Garths Gardens
and all the Rights … … thereunto belonging or in any … appertaining and to their heirs and assigns
to hold unto the said William Pennock and Jonathan Pennock their heirs and assigns forever to be
equally divided between them Also I do Give and devise unto my dear Wife Elizabeth Pennock the
yearly Sum of four pounds of lawfull money of Great Britain for and during … of her natural life to
be paid of the Homes and profits of my lands lying  and being in the Middleton aforesaid by my Son
Robert Pennock in manner following that is to Say the sum of two pounds to be paid by my Son Robert
Pennock within Six months after my decease and so to be paid half yearly by even and equal portions
without any deduction … out of the Same … … I do give and Devise unto my dear Wife Elizabeth
Pennock
he yearly Sum of two pounds of lawfull money of Great Britain for and during the term of her
natural
life to be paid out of the ifues and profits of my Lands lying and being in Glaisdaile afowsd by my
two sons William Pennock and Jonathan Pennock without any deduction further out of the Same I the …
I do give and bequeath unto my second son William Pennock the Sum of Seventy and five pounds of
lawfull Money of Great Britain to be paid by my Executor hereafter named within Six months after my
decease And I also give and bequeath unto my … Son William Pennock the fourth part of my household
stuff … I do give and bequeath unto my third Son Jonathan Pennock the sum of Seventy and five
pounds
of lawfull money of Great Britain to be paid by my Executor hereafter named within Six months after
my decease and also I give and bequeath unto my … Son Jonathan Pennock the fourth part of all my
household stuff ... I do give and bequeath unto my dear Wife Elizabeth Pennock the full fourth part
of all my household stuff All the Rest Residns and Remainder of my personal Estate Goods and
Chattels whatsoever I do give and bequeath unto my Eldest Son Robert Pennock who I do make full and
sole Executor of this my last Will and Testament and I do hereby Revoke Disannul and make void all
for my last Wills and Testaments by me heretofore made IN WITNESS whereof I the said John Pennock
to
this my last Will and Testament have set my hand and Seal the Sixth day of June in the Year of our
Lord God One thousand Seven hundred Thirty and Seven – John Pennock – Signed Sealed and published
in
the presence of us who Subscribed our Names as Witnesses in the presence and at the Request of the
Testator – Richard Dawson – Thomas Warton – Kirk Smith – Passed the Seal 20th May 1742.

EXAM IN MARGIN ON PENULIMATE LINE

Offline dawnkaren

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Limber Hill, Egton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 October 16 09:46 BST (UK) »
limber hill is to the west of egton heading towards glaisdale just before you get to glaisdale station